I hate my machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Too tall

Re: I hate my machine

Post by Too tall » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 pm

palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Too tall wrote:Most people quit CPAP therapy because it is so invasive
CPAP is so invasive...but surgery is not????
maybe the word he was looking for was "obtrusive", given that, by definition, cpap isn't even a tiny bit invasive... well, maybe if you have a nasal prong mask
Yes, thanks, obtrusive is the better word.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 pm

LSAT wrote:
Too tall wrote:
JulieD wrote:I hate it. I hate having sleep apnea. I hate that my husband reminds I have it because it wakes him up. I hate the sterotypes about sleep apnea. But I hate my machine the most. For several months (maybe a year) it has been relegated to the closet and ignored. The mask itches and if I tighten the straps enough to keep it from blowing a jet stream of air at me, I end up ripping it off because the compression is so painful. I hate the itching on my face and nose under the mask from the air blowing. I hate that I can't sleep comfortably on my side, I hate that I still snore if I lay on my back. I just plain hate the whole thing.

But...I've been battling migraines and excessive sleepiness and lethargy, not to mention the brain fog. So I need it. It's time to give it another go so I joined this site in hopes of finding some pointers and advice. I'll poke around and see what I find and thank you all in advance!
There may be alternatives to CPAP. I felt the same way you do. Most people quit CPAP therapy because it is so invasive. I tried it for 2 years and when I couldn't deal with it anymore I went to an ENT. You may be able to get off the CPAP or at minimum improve your tolerance of it. Surgery is not always the answer however, but it did work for me.

CPAP is so invasive...but surgery is not????

Bad choice of words. Yes surgery is certainly invasive. You have no idea. It's a risk as it doesn't always work. I knew that up front. But the CPAP wasn't for me. Fortunately, my AHI on the post surgery sleep test was 1.2 so I'm now off the CPAP. I realize there is an bias against anything but CPAP for sleep apnea solution. Understandable, but there are alternatives.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:35 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Too tall wrote:
LSAT wrote:If you are looking for sympathy, you are not going to get it here. If you are looking for help, Welcome.
It's answers like this that drive people away from this forum.
That's absurd!
When somebody says they "hate" a device that will help them breathe while they're sleeping......and thereby will help improve the quality of their life.......that's not a rational statement.
"Hate" is such an ugly word.......to describe a lifesaving piece of equipment.

You obviously missed the most important part of LSAT's post.

Den

What I didn't miss is "you'll get no sympathy here", I have sympathy for her, I'm sure lots of people do. That's just a mean spirited comment to make. speak for yourself, not the entire forum.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Too tall wrote:What I didn't miss is "you'll get no sympathy here", I have sympathy for her, I'm sure lots of people do. That's just a mean spirited comment to make. speak for yourself, not the entire forum.
so, what're you here for, since you don't like cpap, apparently don't use cpap, and don't advocate helping people with it, why are you trolling a cpap support forum?

why are you here? just to cause trouble?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Too tall wrote:What I didn't miss is "you'll get no sympathy here", I have sympathy for her, I'm sure lots of people do. That's just a mean spirited comment to make. speak for yourself, not the entire forum.
so, what're you here for, since you don't like cpap, apparently don't use cpap, and don't advocate helping people with it, why are you trolling a cpap support forum?

why are you here? just to cause trouble?

Why would you say something like that? You have a short memory. Read some of our previous communications. Nothing but kindness and complimentary to you. Do you remember the conversation between you and I about your Paw Paw? Go back and read it and then come back and tell me I'm a troll. (Do you have to be on a CPAP to be a member of this forum?) I was a member of this forum for years, I've been off for several months and though I'd check back in as I do get personal message enquirers about my results etc.. Most people are reluctant to ask questions on the forum because of responses like this and Lsat's. Lighten up and read my original post. Nothing trolling about that. Just a simple comment that there may be alternatives. I'm not looking for trouble but maybe you are.

pumbany

Post by pumbany » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Julie,

If you stick with it you will learn to love your machine. I used to also hate my machine in the beginning when I first started CPAP.

I think finding the right mask that fits your face best is a big key.

I use a hybrid mask (ResMed Mirage Liberty™ CPAP Mask & Headgear). It covers my mouth and only has a pillow insert under my nose. I found this much better than the full face mask and I tried alot of full face masks.

You should consider giving the hybrid mask a try.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:18 pm

I love my machine, It has saved my life.
Before using the machine I would waken in a panic feeling that I could not breath. I would have to watch TV for at least a hour before I was comfortable laying back down in my bed.
Many mornings I woke to a sore and my throat uvula swollen from loud snoring all night. The wife told me I was snoring loudly and that I would stop breathing for a period of time and then gasp for breath when I would awake. It was pure hell and torture for me. My DR and insurance company kept dragging their feet on getting me retested and treated so I purchased a used machine on my own and it has saved my life.

Jpires56

Post by Jpires56 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi Julie , I have been using Philips cpap for 18 months now. I cried when I first put mask on but I was also desperate for uninterrupted sleep. I felt agoraphobic with mask on and would feel panicked but I knew this was going to be a long term thing so would have to make things to how I wanted it. Britain Is not as informative as USA so the USA forums helped me. First I set up a metal oblong flower pot holder to the wall above my bed, this houses my machine, I put a hook on my very secure curtain pole and hung from it a large loop made from lace, through the loop my tube goes. The tube hangs directly above me to when I turn in my sleep I am not fighting with it! I use a feather pillow which when on my side just let my mask nestle without moving it off my face. I went through 5 masks within a year (thanks to NHS) to find right one for me, but I still found my nose and cheeks were sore. The mask liners are so expensive, I found a template on Internet and made my own from an old white soft cotton t shirt, which are also washable I didn't worry about sewing rough edges! These masks do not effect my seal. So as you can see, even though I still hate the fact that I use a cpap, I have made the best out of a bad situation! I still think cpap accessories are way over priced so I try and adapt and make my own! Without a cpap you are risking a stroke or heart attack, so really it's a no brainer! I wish you well for the future.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:39 am

Too tall wrote:Why would you say something like that? You have a short memory. Read some of our previous communications. Nothing but kindness and complimentary to you. Do you remember the conversation between you and I about your Paw Paw? Go back and read it and then come back and tell me I'm a troll. (Do you have to be on a CPAP to be a member of this forum?) I was a member of this forum for years, I've been off for several months and though I'd check back in as I do get personal message enquirers about my results etc.. Most people are reluctant to ask questions on the forum because of responses like this and Lsat's. Lighten up and read my original post. Nothing trolling about that. Just a simple comment that there may be alternatives. I'm not looking for trouble but maybe you are.
because of the comments you're making now.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:20 am

palerider wrote:
Too tall wrote:Why would you say something like that? You have a short memory. Read some of our previous communications. Nothing but kindness and complimentary to you. Do you remember the conversation between you and I about your Paw Paw? Go back and read it and then come back and tell me I'm a troll. (Do you have to be on a CPAP to be a member of this forum?) I was a member of this forum for years, I've been off for several months and though I'd check back in as I do get personal message enquirers about my results etc.. Most people are reluctant to ask questions on the forum because of responses like this and Lsat's. Lighten up and read my original post. Nothing trolling about that. Just a simple comment that there may be alternatives. I'm not looking for trouble but maybe you are.
because of the comments you're making now.
Really, my comments? You do have a short memory. Read your comments to me. I actually agreed with you that invasive was the wrong word and thanked you. You come back with your caustic comments about trolling. You shoot first and ask questions later? You've done this once before and I accepted your apology. I don't know your personal situation and you may be in a lot of pain or have a very miserable life. I don't know. But don't take it out on me. Here's a little tip for you, Talk to people as though you are face to face. Don't hide behind that keyboard.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:44 pm

Too tall wrote:Really, my comments? You do have a short memory. Read your comments to me. I actually agreed with you that invasive was the wrong word and thanked you. You come back with your caustic comments about trolling. You shoot first and ask questions later? You've done this once before and I accepted your apology. I don't know your personal situation and you may be in a lot of pain or have a very miserable life. I don't know. But don't take it out on me. Here's a little tip for you, Talk to people as though you are face to face. Don't hide behind that keyboard.
yeah, now I remember why you're on the ignore list. if only people would avoid quoting you. :sigh:

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Too tall wrote:Really, my comments? You do have a short memory. Read your comments to me. I actually agreed with you that invasive was the wrong word and thanked you. You come back with your caustic comments about trolling. You shoot first and ask questions later? You've done this once before and I accepted your apology. I don't know your personal situation and you may be in a lot of pain or have a very miserable life. I don't know. But don't take it out on me. Here's a little tip for you, Talk to people as though you are face to face. Don't hide behind that keyboard.
yeah, now I remember why you're on the ignore list. if only people would avoid quoting you. :sigh:
You do yourself a disservice with these comments. Nothing new here, my previous recommendation to you still stands.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:39 am

Jpires56 wrote:Hi Julie , I have been using Philips cpap for 18 months now. I cried when I first put mask on but I was also desperate for uninterrupted sleep. I felt agoraphobic with mask on and would feel panicked but I knew this was going to be a long term thing so would have to make things to how I wanted it. Britain Is not as informative as USA so the USA forums helped me. First I set up a metal oblong flower pot holder to the wall above my bed, this houses my machine, I put a hook on my very secure curtain pole and hung from it a large loop made from lace, through the loop my tube goes. The tube hangs directly above me to when I turn in my sleep I am not fighting with it! I use a feather pillow which when on my side just let my mask nestle without moving it off my face. I went through 5 masks within a year (thanks to NHS) to find right one for me, but I still found my nose and cheeks were sore. The mask liners are so expensive, I found a template on Internet and made my own from an old white soft cotton t shirt, which are also washable I didn't worry about sewing rough edges! These masks do not effect my seal. So as you can see, even though I still hate the fact that I use a cpap, I have made the best out of a bad situation! I still think cpap accessories are way over priced so I try and adapt and make my own! Without a cpap you are risking a stroke or heart attack, so really it's a no brainer! I wish you well for the future.
Well, that is encouraging to a newbie!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:03 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Jpires56 wrote:I felt agoraphobic with mask on
Agoraphobia definition, an abnormal fear of being in crowds, public places, or open areas.

I don't really get the connection. unless it's saying "I don't want to be out in a crowd wearing my mask", which I suppose is understandable...

Last edited by palerider on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get OSCAR

MyIdaho

Post by MyIdaho » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Jpires56 wrote:Hi Julie , I have been using Philips cpap for 18 months now. I cried when I first put mask on but I was also desperate for uninterrupted sleep. I felt agoraphobic with mask on and would feel panicked but I knew this was going to be a long term thing so would have to make things to how I wanted it. Britain Is not as informative as USA so the USA forums helped me. First I set up a metal oblong flower pot holder to the wall above my bed, this houses my machine, I put a hook on my very secure curtain pole and hung from it a large loop made from lace, through the loop my tube goes. The tube hangs directly above me to when I turn in my sleep I am not fighting with it! I use a feather pillow which when on my side just let my mask nestle without moving it off my face. I went through 5 masks within a year (thanks to NHS) to find right one for me, but I still found my nose and cheeks were sore. The mask liners are so expensive, I found a template on Internet and made my own from an old white soft cotton t shirt, which are also washable I didn't worry about sewing rough edges! These masks do not effect my seal. So as you can see, even though I still hate the fact that I use a cpap, I have made the best out of a bad situation! I still think cpap accessories are way over priced so I try and adapt and make my own! Without a cpap you are risking a stroke or heart attack, so really it's a no brainer! I wish you well for the future.
You're right, on the one hand it could be very discouraging. On the other hand, it does show the need to be focused on solving issues and eventually there can be success. Thumbs to jpires56 for sharing her success story!