I hate my machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JulieD

I hate my machine

Post by JulieD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:33 pm

I hate it. I hate having sleep apnea. I hate that my husband reminds I have it because it wakes him up. I hate the sterotypes about sleep apnea. But I hate my machine the most. For several months (maybe a year) it has been relegated to the closet and ignored. The mask itches and if I tighten the straps enough to keep it from blowing a jet stream of air at me, I end up ripping it off because the compression is so painful. I hate the itching on my face and nose under the mask from the air blowing. I hate that I can't sleep comfortably on my side, I hate that I still snore if I lay on my back. I just plain hate the whole thing.

But...I've been battling migraines and excessive sleepiness and lethargy, not to mention the brain fog. So I need it. It's time to give it another go so I joined this site in hopes of finding some pointers and advice. I'll poke around and see what I find and thank you all in advance!

Julie

Re: I hate my machine

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi, you definitely have come to the right place because everything you said has been heard here before (lots!) and almost all can be improved. It certainly sounds like your pressure setting(s) are inadequate, too low, so if you can please let us know first what machine you have - the most wording and ID possible please as e.g. Resmed makes loads of diff. models - and what mask - you shouldn't need to tighten it at all if it's been fitted properly, if it's your size, if you tried it on lying down to start with (if a FFM) because your face changes then, and/or if you have the 'right' mask altogether for you - there are loads out there to try, so we'll help with that too. And what are your pressure settings please? And do you know what your script called for (if all they said was '4 and 20' which happens all the time, you're definitely not being treated properly).

Are you using software at all to see what's going on overnight?

And please do come back to this thread so we can work with history...
Last edited by Julie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Obviously, you haven't come to the big realization yet. When (if) you do.......you'll love your machine. Good luck in the meantime.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:51 pm

JulieD wrote:I hate it. I hate I hate I hate t I hate I hate I hate I just plain hate the whole thing.
your first step at getting to a good place with your machine is to change your attitude, it's very self defeating.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:10 pm

If you are looking for sympathy, you are not going to get it here. If you are looking for help, Welcome.

Omne

Post by Omne » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Like Julie said, there are so many possible ways to make it more comfortable that more than likely eventually you'll be able to deal with it and even be glad it's there. This a good place to learn about your options, and there are a lot of them. Don't give up.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:21 pm

No one "loves" the fact that they have to use a machine..... but we do love the fact that it is keeping us from having further health problems. Catch 22 isn't it!!!!!! I have been "on the hose" for over 6 years and find it second nature to hop into bed, hose up and go to sleep. It is no longer a foreign thing I have to use to sleep and I no longer care what other people think.... I wake up on the "green side of the grass" every morning and silently thank all the good folks here that set me on a straight path to great therapy. Next time you are out shopping. just take a look around you at the other shoppers...... check their face, some have strap marks, also check their hair, they will have a dent where the straps sit. Funny isn't it, you have just noticed others that are in the same situation that you are..... and they don't care that you have noticed... all they care about is that they are alive and have more energy than they had previous to being a "hose head". .
Please do some reading here and you will learn tons of fabulous info on what to do or not do to get there too. The folks here are ready and more than willing to help you the same as they have done for many others.
Welcome to the land of hose heads or if you prefer "hosers" ...don't you wish that you would have found this help forum before you stopped using your machine.
Again, welcome, you have crossed the first hurdle... you WILL make it!
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. Most of us didn't like it when we started either. It is a tough realization that we need it, and a tough thing to get used to. But once we do, it is a miracle.

I put off my diagnosis and treatment for about 10 years because I just knew I could never sleep with one. I finally realized my health was at risk, and I better suck it up and try. I went in for the sleep study and had the best night of sleep in probably 20 years. I couldn't believe it. By the time I got my machine, I was anxious to get started. I still struggled with the mask, leaks, etc. But having a taste of a good night helped keep me going. Clearly, you haven't had a good taste of what good sleep feels like, so that makes it harder to keep trying.

Please tell us more about your equipment and settings so that we can help you get started again. We need to know your machine (brand and model name/number). What pressure settings, if using ramp, etc. And what mask you are using. You may need a different mask, and we can help you figure that out. But also, these masks are not obvious in their fitting. Most need to be just barely snug. The more you tighten, the worse they get. Once we know what kind you have, we can help you figure out how to adjust it better.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes, I hate having this disorder. I hate that apnea reduced my health and quality of life before I was diagnosed.
I hate the first DME that tried to screw me.
But I love this forum, and all the help I have received.
I love my awesome machine.
And I FINALLY have a mask I can like. (I'm working on loving it).
I still really hate the stereotypes that prevent people from seeking and getting REAL help.
I also hate the slimy, opportunistic creeps that peddle different types of snake oil
to people who need to get treatment ASAP!

mummmz

Post by mummmz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:48 pm

It sounds like you hate your mask and your machine settings. At least you don't hate your husband for complaining. Get some help adjusting your machine settings and possibly a different mask and you'll hate it less.

Dani

JulieD

Post by JulieD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:24 pm

Thank you all for the responses! Wow! Yeah I'm here for help -sympathy sure isn't going to help. I want to love my machine or at least get to a point where I don't mind it so much. I was diagnosed in 2012 but in all honestly I've probably always had sleep apne. There hasn't been a moment in my life when I wasn't tired or didn't snore. No environmental factors matter - weight, smoking, alcohol (I don't indulge in either), sinus meds, raised mattress...I just have sleep apnea. Possibly there is a deviated septum or nasal passages that are too small - who knows - I don't really have the kind of insurance that covers tons of testing. It took until I was in my mid forties before i sucked it up and got the study done. "Moderate to severe sleep apnea".

I'll look up the details on the machine and post it but it is a resmed and I wear a full face mask.

Again, thank you for the support!

JulieD

Post by JulieD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Ok - it's a Philips Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex+ and the mask is a Respironics Quattro FX for her. The air pressure is set at 12. He machine has a humidifier and it does record data. I really do think the mask is the problem but I've gone through a few of them so I'm nervous about just trying a different one so I was hoping to lurk around here searching for ideas.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:18 pm

You can learn to love your machine, at least love the way it makes you feel. I was undiagnosed for 15 years, and finally properly diagnosed through a sleep study 10 months ago. From the first night I put it on, I have never slept without it. I am new to this forum too, and yes, the whole thing is very overwhelming but people here genuinely want to help other sufferers.
You have made a big step to take your health in your own hands and work at the issues you are going to have. Good luck!

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:21 pm

JulieD wrote:Ok - it's a Philips Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex+ and the mask is a Respironics Quattro FX for her. The air pressure is set at 12. He machine has a humidifier and it does record data. I really do think the mask is the problem but I've gone through a few of them so I'm nervous about just trying a different one so I was hoping to lurk around here searching for ideas.
hi, julied and welcome! you are going to find all kinds of help here. i know i have!

could you do us one small favor, please? could you go into the control pane and fill out your equipment profile? when you do that, your equipment shows up on the bottom of each of your posts. really helps keep things clear.

oh and if you do that? PLEASE select the text option over the picture option.

and hold on, someone will be with to help shortly.....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Go to Cpap.com (they host the forum but very hands off it) and look at all the masks - there are loads of reviews, info, pix, etc. and you can try them out x 30 days (most DME's won't let you do that).