infection on nose and lips where mask doesn't touch

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janice H2Os

infection on nose and lips where mask doesn't touch

Post by Janice H2Os » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:38 pm

I just got a cpap machine after being off of one for a year. I also have my oxygen connected to it this time around. I have been very ill and my temp last 3 days have been higher then 102° at times overnight. I woke up after 2 days using it with white with green looking pimples all over my nose and lip. When I went to pop them and clean them out a lot of junk cane out of both more then 3 times. Including my lip. At first I thought it was my mask but since I'm a mercer and staph carrier and been so sick over a 2 month period and drs can't find out where exactly the infection is. I don't know what to think. Anyone else had this happen to? While on cpap and oxygen together. No sores touch the mask. Thank you

Julie

Re: infection on nose and lips where mask doesn't touch

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Obvious Q, but can you see a dermatologist who's familiar with your overall condition? Normally I'd say it sounds like an allergy, but you have other issues to consider.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:22 pm

is there anything people won't try to blame on cpap?

smear it with antibiotic.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:01 pm

palerider wrote:is there anything people won't try to blame on cpap?
There you go again with your mean spirited comments. You just can't help yourself, can you? Read the OP again, nothing said about blaming the CPAP. But so what if she did? Are you the CPAP police? She's asking for help not comments like this.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Too tall wrote:
There you go again with your mean spirited comments. You just can't help yourself, can you? Read the OP again, nothing said about blaming the CPAP. But so what if she did? Are you the CPAP police? She's asking for help not comments like this.
there you go with your waste of space and time commentary again... some things never change.

"Anyone else had this happen to? While on cpap and oxygen together?"

maybe YOU should try reading things again.

have a nice day

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

The great thing about this Board is you can put people who are negative or attack you on the Foe List and don't have to read their nonsense.
Worked for me.

Aclyesia

Post by Aclyesia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 pm

I am actually recovering right now from a staph infection that started off as a "pimple" in my nose that I popped and ended up spreading it across my nose. My infection started in my right nostril on the septum about 1/2 cm from the end of my nose. I was using a nasal mask when the infection started, which had no contact with the inside of my nose and I highly doubt xPAP had anything to do with it. I'm 10 days into treatment now and most of the scabs have fallen off the outside of my nose. The origination scab is still healing though. Mupirocin is my friend, even if it smells horrible.
"Of all the things to be bad at, I suck at breathing."

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am

palerider wrote:
Too tall wrote:
there you go with your waste of space and time commentary again... some things never change.

have a nice day
She's asking a question about possible incompatibility of O2 with CPAP, how is that offensive to you? You seem to make comments to draw attention to yourself, not to helpful to those asking for help. Why don't you put your current photo as your avatar so everyone can see what a real keyboard sniper looks like.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Too tall wrote:
palerider wrote:
Too tall wrote:

have a nice day
She's asking a question about possible incompatibility of O2 with CPAP, how is that offensive to you? You seem to make comments to draw attention to yourself, not to helpful to those asking for help. Why don't you put your current photo as your avatar so everyone can see what a real keyboard sniper looks like.
+1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:41 am

palerider wrote: . . . smear it with antibiotic.
MERS ("mercer") is antibiotic resistant, therefore difficult to treat, especially OTC.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
MERS ("mercer") is antibiotic resistant, therefore difficult to treat, especially OTC.
ok, um, you know I'm hesitant to disagree with the frog... but,

MERS= Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus, more properly MERS-CoV, viral in nature.
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/enc ... 000723.htm

MRSA=Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, bacterial in nature.
https://medlineplus.gov/mrsa.html

this http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/pdfs/10-1365-a ... _print.pdf seems to suggest that neomycin TAO is effective against almost all forms of MRSA... at least, back in 2011.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Good to know.

Omne

Post by Omne » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:30 pm

palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:

MERS= Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus, more properly MERS-CoV, viral in nature.

this http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/pdfs/10-1365-a ... _print.pdf seems to suggest that neomycin TAO is effective against almost all forms of MRSA... at least, back in 2011.
You know, for some reason I'm really hoping you had to go look that up.....

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Omne wrote:
palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:

You know, for some reason I'm really hoping you had to go look that up.....
well, it took me a couple minutes to figure out that she wasn't talking about mers, but mrsa, and then, yes, I did look up the medline links, as well as the PDF about topical ointments. alcohol and iodine should also work nicely, it's hard to kill bugs in you, without sickening the patient, not as hard to kill them outside.

having a smattering of medical experience in the background helps a bit too

mummmz

Post by mummmz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Whereever it came from you'll need to clean/disinfect everything your face comes in contact with if you want to get rid of it. Aclyesia just went through that and can probably give some good tips. At least bleach your sheets, night clothes, disinfect your mask (headgear included), throw out any makeup, brushes, toothbrush, etc...anything that goes near your face. Wipe down your night table. I would even get a new pillow. Do you lay down on the coach? Another area to disinfect.

Just thought of...cell and home phones too.