Mouth breathing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CEK

Mouth breathing

Post by CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 am

I am a relatively new CPAP user. I am also a mouth breather and needed to wear chin strap. Even with a chin strap, I would get dry mouth because of air escaping through my mouth. So, I developed a simple device that prevents air escaping through my mouth without using a chin strap. Is air leaking through the the mouth a big problem or am I in the minority?

yaconsult

Re: Mouth breathing

Post by yaconsult » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:00 am

It is a problem for some people - not sure how big a percentage. One approach that worked for many of us was to tape our lips together with 3M Micropore tape until we broke ourselves of the habit of mouth breathing.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:51 am

Or.... wear a full face mask. A lot of folks mouth-breath. You can't mouth-breath using a nasal mask or nasal pillows. If you use a full face mask... then breath away. A small amount of mouth breathing with a nasal or pillow mask is ok, long as it comes in small doses. You need to monitor your numbers (leak rates) very closely.

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 am

CEK wrote:I am a relatively new CPAP user. I am also a mouth breather and needed to wear chin strap. Even with a chin strap, I would get dry mouth because of air escaping through my mouth. So, I developed a simple device that prevents air escaping through my mouth without using a chin strap. Is air leaking through the the mouth a big problem or am I in the minority?
A new product.....
Last edited by LSAT on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:48 am

CEK wrote:So, I developed a simple device that prevents air escaping through my mouth without using a chin strap.
Something like this?
see
Jay Aitchsee wrote:Here's an item I suggest rather than tape. It's a stretch headband made from a thin, soft cotton like material similar to that of a T shirt. It is double thickness (a tube), but still thin. The material is stretch and inside at one edge there is a narrow elastic band. It doesn't unravel when cut. It is about 2.5 inches wide and fits nicely between the nose and chin. I think it would fit most without being too tight or loose. Wear it just like a headband only pulled down over the mouth and ears. I cut holes for my ears. It does not interfere with a P10 or Dreamwear nasal mask. When it is worn with the internal band down, it tends to keep the bottom lip closed. It is porous so that chipmunk cheeks are less likely to form, but at the same time, it restricts the flow and reduces mouth leaks considerably. It also softens the noise of mouth leaks and discourages mouth inhalation. I've worn it for about two months and it has reduced my average nasal mask leaks (mouth) from an average of about 12L/m to about 5 rarely exceeding the large leak mark. I've see them sold at various places including grocery and drug stores. They cost about $5 for a set of five and are washable. One set should easily last a year. Here's some at Amazon.

P.S. I put the head band on and marked it with a pen to determine where to cut the ear holes.

Dr.CEK

Post by Dr.CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:57 am

Let me say that I am new to this type of communication. My first couple of posts I had someone call me "dope" because I was not signed in properly. Please forgive me as I am trying to figure this process out.

In response to your question, no it is not a chin strap device. What I made slips into the mouth. I am a firm believer in CPAP treatment and how it has changed my life. Many of my guy friends didn't use their CPAP because it was too frustrating. I am just excited to have found a way to wear my nasal pillows without any other restrictions.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 am

The above is not a chin strap. It is worn over the mouth. Read the description.

Are you going to post the details of your "invention"? Or do you want us to buy something to learn how it works?

Register with the site by selecting the "Register Username" link at the top right of the page next to sign in.

Dr. CEK

Post by Dr. CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am

I am not trying to sell anything. I was hoping to have some discussions to see if I was solving my problem alone or if others have the same problem. Since I started using my CPAP machine, I have not had anyone to really talk with about CPAP usage. My device is a simple, pliable material that fits between the lips and gums. My jaw can drop open and the device still stops air from escaping.

I am having problems signing in. Could you tell me if I am signed in or still show up as a guest? Thank you for your help.

Dr. CEK

Post by Dr. CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:30 am

The site says I am registered.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:35 am

Once you are registered then you have to log in (see upper ride side of the main forum page) and when logged in your ID will change colors and will look similar to my user ID on the left side of my comments.

So...you are missing the log in step.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:36 am

Dr. CEK wrote:The site says I am registered.

You registered as CEK...You were not a Dr at that time...

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:49 am

Dr. CEK wrote: or if others have the same problem?
A Google Search finds over 3000 posts on this site that contain the exact phrase "mouth breathing". I would say that indicates some interest. See the list

Dr. CEK

Post by Dr. CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 am

Thank you for your help. When I first used CEK and clicked to register, it said CEK was already used and to pick another name. I have tried to reset everything and via email and using what was sent.
Username: CEK
Password: 4UON5V52

It is not working, any other advice?

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:53 am

CEK wrote:I am a relatively new CPAP user. I am also a mouth breather and needed to wear chin strap. Even with a chin strap, I would get dry mouth because of air escaping through my mouth. So, I developed a simple device that prevents air escaping through my mouth without using a chin strap. Is air leaking through the the mouth a big problem or am I in the minority?
Reply:

What ever you develop and sell you'll be infringing on U.S. patents,
in the field of:

DEVICE TO PREVENT MOUTH BREATHING

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 4652-0.png

reduce the size to 50%

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CEK

Post by CEK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:58 am

This is Pugsy
I was able to log in using the User ID CEK and your password.
So it is working. I will now log out so you can try again.
Use the "CEK" as login id...and your password and it should work.