How many mask changes did you go through at first?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Malinalli73

How many mask changes did you go through at first?

Post by Malinalli73 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:13 am

I've been using my apap machine for almost two weeks now and can't get comfortable.
I have anasal pillow mask, which I chose feeling it would be less burdensome but I have some issues.
Sometimes I feel like air is not going through the little holes and that they might be obstructed by the walls of my nose...am I imagining it?
When I go to bed and my machine is on ramp I feel I'm not getting enough air.
I've been swallowing air.
I wake up constantly...although I also did it before the machine.
A couple of times I've opened my mouth, although this doesn't happen often. I have bruxism and my mouth is usually close...if not clenching. For this they gave me a chin strap but with the guard it made my gums hurt.
I also have allergies, and even when I use a nasal spray sometimes I get stuffy.

I don't know if it's a matter of getting used to it or I definitely need to change mask. Any advices?

EDIT: People have pointed out I haven't said which mask I'm using so you can help me better....so true!
I'm using the P10, technician recommended small....I'm trying Medium tonight. My machine is an Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, with heated hose. Settings 5-15.

UPDATE: last night I used the medium pillows, turned off ramp and humidity. Breathing was much more comfortable when I was falling asleep and pillows were much more comfy but got stuffy nose. I guess humidity and temperature control go back on but the other changes worked very well. Thanks everyone for your advices. I guess I still have a long road ahead but I'm finally getting the hqng of it.

Last edited by Malinalli73 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arlene1963

Re: How many mask changes did you go through at first?

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:36 am

I'm pretty new to this as well and have already tried three masks.

Each one feels great for the first few nights and then I start falling a bit "out of love" with them.

So last night was not good for me. Fought with my new mask for half the night, stumbled out of bed and then put on my old first love, the Swift FX.

Maybe we'll get lucky and find a perfect mask. I'm still looking. I think it might be a lot like dating .... it takes a while to find the "right one" but don't give up!

CosmosHuman

Post by CosmosHuman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:48 am

One week on apap. Started with a F-P Simplis full face mask. Not happy. Just killing my face and leaving red marks even though I loosen the straps. Just put in an order for an Amara View mask. Had a fitting at the DME provider, but need size medium which they didn't have.

Also looking for a nice comfortable bed pillow.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:51 am

Malina - it's quite possible that your lower setting level is too low to breathe comfortably at or treat your OSA properly - do you have a copy of your script or are you using Sleepyhead to track what happens overnight? And using the ramp at all, unless you have a particularly high level script (and machine is set for that) means that until the ramp reaches your set low level, you're not fully treated or getting the benefit of whatever level the machine is set to, especially if it's low - most of us stop using the ramp altogether after a very short time.

As far as nasal issues go, too much humidity (or even any at all) can cause congestion if local conditions are already humid, especially in summer, so feel free to turn it off altogether if you think it's an issue unless you e.g. live in a very dry environment and find the humidity helps. A dry mouth, of course, is more likely to be a result of mouth breathing and more humidity won't help, but trying a full face mask might.

Cosmos - you might want to put your experience in your own thread that you started earlier so as not to confuse this one.

Snoozeless

Post by Snoozeless » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:10 am

I'm on my 4th--the Dreamwear. I tried a full mask, a nasal, a pillow and I can't stand anything but the Dreamwear.

Malinalli73

Post by Malinalli73 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:54 am

Julie wrote:Malina - it's quite possible that your lower setting level is too low to breathe comfortably at or treat your OSA properly - do you have a copy of your script or are you using Sleepyhead to track what happens overnight? And using the ramp at all, unless you have a particularly high level script (and machine is set for that) means that until the ramp reaches your set low level, you're not fully treated or getting the benefit of whatever level the machine is set to, especially if it's low - most of us stop using the ramp altogether after a very short time.

As far as nasal issues go, too much humidity (or even any at all) can cause congestion if local conditions are already humid, especially in summer, so feel free to turn it off altogether if you think it's an issue unless you e.g. live in a very dry environment and find the humidity helps. A dry mouth, of course, is more likely to be a result of mouth breathing and more humidity won't help, but trying a full face mask might.
Thanks for the advice on humidity San Antonio is pretty humid right now, I'll just turn it off tonight and see if that helps. I have mild apnea, so my settings are low as it is, 5 to15. I might not need the ramp at all, I'll also try that.
I didn't know about sleepyhead, I'll look into that too....you've been so helpful!

Malinalli73

Post by Malinalli73 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:55 am

Arlene1963 wrote:I'm pretty new to this as well and have already tried three masks.

Each one feels great for the first few nights and then I start falling a bit "out of love" with them.

So last night was not good for me. Fought with my new mask for half the night, stumbled out of bed and then put on my old first love, the Swift FX.

Maybe we'll get lucky and find a perfect mask. I'm still looking. I think it might be a lot like dating .... it takes a while to find the "right one" but don't give up!
That's how I feel, the first few nights were great, now I'm having issues. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one....we'll have to keep looking. Good luck to both of us!

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 am

I was offered only one mask, but it seems to have worked for me. I did boy a different mask (ComfortGel Blue Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear) during one of our sponsor's sales, but I haven't tried it yet.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:42 am

Malina - the severity of your apnea has nothing to do with your pressure settings - they are designed to keep your particular airway of its particular size open - someone with severe apnea may only need a little air pressure to keep their airway open, whereas you might need much more if your airway's narrower... how often you stop breathing (or for how long) each night has no relation to airway size.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:05 am

Malinalli73 wrote:I have mild apnea, so my settings are low as it is, 5 to15. I!
that means nothing. the 'severity' of your apnea has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of pressure needed to control it.

mild, moderate or severe is simply a count of how often it happens, not what it takes to control it. no correlation whatsoever.

edit: I see Julie also answered that point, but I'll leave my comment up as a reinforcement of hers.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Malinalli73

Post by Malinalli73 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:24 am

I have an appointment with my dr next week, I'll make sure to ask about the setting. I haven't seen her since I got the machine, I'll have a long list of questions for sure, your answers are helping to figure out what I need to know. Masks, humididy, ramp, settings...

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 am

I went through several masks, too many to count- it took me over a year to find one that worked for me- which initially was the Airfit P10, and then this past February/March, my Respiratory Therapist suggested that I try the DreamWear, and I like the DreamWear better than the Airfit P10.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 am

I have tried at least 10 masks before I finally found one that works for me. My insurance paid for a few of them, some came from members of the forum, and others were purchased from cpap.com. The ones I can't use I pass on to other members of the forum when they need or want to try something different.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 am

Over the first two years, I tried over 20 masks,
settling on a couple that I could swap back and forth, so my face/nose could heal alternately
I used cpap.com's return insurance on a few more losers, until they offered the P10.
I made that one last until I retired. Now Medicare is my mask/hose/cpap sugar daddy.

Elidh

Post by Elidh » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:04 am

I have a nasal pillow mask, which I chose feeling it would be less burdensome but I have some issues.
Sometimes I feel like air is not going through the little holes and that they might be obstructed by the walls of my nose...am I imagining it?
When I go to bed and my machine is on ramp I feel I'm not getting enough air.
I've been swallowing air.
Hi Malina - I've been on CPAP a total of 3 nights!! So I'm an expert! I turned off the ramp feature before last night's sleep, because with it, I wasn't getting enough air (I felt) and I kept waiting for the full air to come, which of course it didn't because it was waiting for me to fall asleep - vicious cycle! So you may want to consider that.

When I went for my titration study I started the night with a nasal pillow for the same reason you chose it, but I was swallowing air too, and we switched to a full mask, which worked better for me.