Can CPAP use be harmful if not adjusted correctly?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maxtrixbass

Can CPAP use be harmful if not adjusted correctly?

Post by Maxtrixbass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

I have been using an APAP machine now for a few weeks (Dreamstation) with great results. Fantastic really.. I had a horrible time with the sleep test, so long story short, I am doing this on my own.

I have heard too high a pressure can put "air in your tummy". Are here other possible negative effects from using a CPAP machine, especially if the pressure is too high?

I really rubbed my nose raw, so went from my usual nasal mask to a nose thingy (with the two prongs). After a few minutes I really felt quite bad, perhaps like air trapped in my esophagus (?). Once a recovered (about 20 minutes), I went back to my nasal mask (with a bandaid) and slept great.

Could the CPAP have caused this? Is there any other negative cosequence to watch out for as I dial this in?

FYI- My settings are 5.5 low/8 (or should that be 8/5.5?). CFlex= 1. I use the humdifier and tube warmer..

Goofproof

Re: Can CPAP use be harmful if not adjusted correctly?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Anything can be harmful if not used correctly, even your ear buds and tunes.

By using Common Sense, most people can operate things safely. A few can NOT operate anything safely! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi... It's highly unlikely that at your settings (both very low for an apap) anything bad will happen. What actually occurred with you (while awake) is not clear and again unlikely to be caused by Cpap... and one night of almost anything means very little. Unless you have a bipap which you don't seem to, then your #'s would be 5 and 8, not the other way around. I would actually raise both for a few nights... e.g. the 5 to a 7 and the 8 to e.g. 15 and see how you do then. As far as the mask goes you're going to have to try various ones, types, adjustments, sizes, etc. to get the right one... what you have does not sound like 'it'. Come back to this thread with more info when you have it... you do have a good machine.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Sounds like you are swallowing air, usually caused by damage to the valve at the top of the stomach. a doctor can check that out, but many times raising the head of the bed 4 inches helps. Also pepcid sometimes helps. Your pressure is low, over time it might get better in time, but the doctor can decide of what's needed.

Good work on the nose, Mole Skin also works for padding (in the Foot Product section), maybe letting the straps a little looser. You need to download the Sleepyhead Software to use with your APAP, then you can tell how your treatment is doing. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Maxtrixbass wrote: I have heard too high a pressure can put "air in your tummy". Are here other possible negative effects from using a CPAP machine, especially if the pressure is too high?

I really rubbed my nose raw, so went from my usual nasal mask to a nose thingy (with the two prongs). After a few minutes I really felt quite bad, perhaps like air trapped in my esophagus (?). Once a recovered (about 20 minutes), I went back to my nasal mask (with a bandaid) and slept great.
Some people have trouble with swallowing air (Aerophagia) during treatment. My pressure has always been high, and I have had no problem with this. Use a band aid on your nose to keep it from irritating it. Once it heals, you can use moleskin on your nose to prevent chafing. You can find it at drug stores and Walmart in the foot section. You can also purchase rolls of it on the internet. I bought the rolls when I was using it on my nose. Now that I have switched masks, I no longer use it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Helpful Guest :)

Post by Helpful Guest :) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Maxtrixbass wrote:I really rubbed my nose raw, so went from my usual nasal mask to a nose thingy (with the two prongs).
There are nasal prongs which have tubes that go "inside" the nostrils and nasal pillows which seal on the "nares" or outside the nostrils. If you look for the tag on your headgear it should show the make & model. I think you have pillows, the size (S,M,L) should be imprinted on the pillow. Make sure to start with the largest size so they do NOT go INTO the nostrils.

Any mask needs to be adjust at the highest pressure you may use during the nite. Else once the pressure increases and you are asleep it puts additional force on the straps - stretching them - possibly causing leaks and movement. This movement can happen with each breath (thousands of times) causing friction and rubbing the skin raw.

Take the time before bed to make this adjustment with the highest pressure ON and laying in your sleeping position. Laying position is important as the shape of your face will change when you lay down. The straps should not be overly tight as that also causes irritation but loose enuff for two fingers to fit between the strap and your head.

Apply a dab of Lansinoh to the nares and to the pillows. This not only reduces the friction but helps the seal. Do this each nite before bed. Lansinoh is pure lanolin for nursing mothers and can be found wherever baby bottles are sold.

HTH

Maxtrixbass

Post by Maxtrixbass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Thank you all for the responses.

Probably common, but the full mask I was using was leaking into my eyes, so I overtightened. I tried the nasal mask (covers nose only) as an alternate and found it works better, more comfortable mostly. If my nose was fully healed it would cause no problems. The kind with the prongs (whatever they are called), don't work so well for me. I have tried different sizes with not much luck. Reminds me too much of those O2 prongs I got once while in the hospital even though they sit outside the nose.

I will for sure try the Lansinoh. Thank you for that tip.

Yes, I have Sleepyhead and have found it very helpful. The trend has been generally better and better as I dial it in, but last night was an AHI of 1.71 (best yet):
Obstructive .85
Hypopea .85
Clear Airway 0.0
Flow limitation .85
RERA .85

Aver pressure 6.06
Min 5.5
Max 8.0
90% 7.90
Average EPAP 5.85
Min EPAP 5.2
Max EPAP 7.8

Average leak rate 5.62
% of time above threshold 0.0%

The" higher" pressures are problematic only in that the leaks become distracting, that is they wake me up although my experiemnnts at a constant rate of 10 caused me to "swallow air". From that constant rate of 10 I went to 9 (cured the "air" problem) , then APAP with 5/9, then...until now at 5.5/8 . Judging by the event and pressure patterns, I'm generally OK until I get into a deeper part of sleep, which is probably why I "failed" the sleep test: I never really slept. I couldn't get them to call me after the test either, but that's another story.

I will try 6/9 (or higher), but I'm pretty happy if last night is the new norm. I was really the waking dead for more than 10 years.

I must say you all and your postings have been very helpful. I have spend many hours reading this board and the info has been invaluable!

esel

Post by esel » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 am

Maxtrixbass wrote:I have been using an APAP machine now for a few weeks (Dreamstation) with great results. Fantastic really.. I had a horrible time with the sleep test, so long story short, I am doing this on my own.... My settings are 5.5 low/8 . CFlex= 1. I use the humdifier and tube warmer..
Hi Max,

Here a few more harmful CPAPer worries you may want to be aware off.

Bad hair day ! loosening the straps may help
Chronic red nose and you didn't dring any alcohol
Long discussions with docs, DME and insurances until loosing your mind (One you gratefully avoided)
Dry mouth, lips or nose
Nightmares and real battles with mask and hose (avoid strangling your self)
Intestinal aeration, aerophagia and acidic burp
Chronic diarrhea (very rare and related to the humidifier)

But here the great ones...

Having a big and wonderful family
Learning a new language
Sleeping well head under the blanket or pillow
No more nose picking at night, and learning to control it during day time
Great reduction in night drooling
Chronic red nose for Christmas without expenses
Potential recovery of memory and mental swiftness
Longer life

Well, up to you, the good ones may outweigh the bad ones.

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

Maxtrixbass

Post by Maxtrixbass » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am

Very funny! Glad I'm not the only one who struggled over this with the medical profession et al.

The fog has lifted, so I'll trade all the bad for that...and glad the potential bad isn't THAT bad after all.
esel wrote:
Hi Max,

Here a few more harmful CPAPer worries you may want to be aware off.

Bad hair day ! loosening the straps may help
Chronic red nose and you didn't dring any alcohol
Long discussions with docs, DME and insurances until loosing your mind (One you gratefully avoided)
Dry mouth, lips or nose
Nightmares and real battles with mask and hose (avoid strangling your self)
Intestinal aeration, aerophagia and acidic burp
Chronic diarrhea (very rare and related to the humidifier)

But here the great ones...

Having a big and wonderful family
Learning a new language
Sleeping well head under the blanket or pillow
No more nose picking at night, and learning to control it during day time
Great reduction in night drooling
Chronic red nose for Christmas without expenses
Potential recovery of memory and mental swiftness
Longer life

Well, up to you, the good ones may outweigh the bad ones.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 am

Of course, anything can be harmful if not used correctly (and for some things even when used correctly). The main danger in CPAP misuse is that the underlying condition is not being treated correctly, so the original condition is the danger.

This having been said, I remember trying to find any instance of a CPAP fatality. I was trying to reassure a friend who was CPAP-phobic. The only case I found was of a CPAP falling out of an open window, and hitting somebody over the head.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 am

The worst mistake one can make with cpap is to turn it off, remove the mask, and go back to sleep.
Shame on anyone who abuses their health/equipment thusly.