How long do machines last?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
leam

How long do machines last?

Post by leam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm

I've had my Respironics REMaster Plus M series for a while How long do they last? If you're nowhere near the prescribing doctor, do you have to get the sleep study done over?

Thanks!

Julie

Re: How long do machines last?

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Most insce co's replace after 5 yrs, but many machines last many years longer... it all depends. Can you not get a script from the local GP and/or at least write/call the orig. one and ask for a new one or copy of the first? How long ago was that?

However, your machine is the Plus model and therefore does not give any useful data, if you get a new one, make sure it's one that gives lots more than you can read off the screen - one that has an SD card you can use with software, like Sleepyhead.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:27 pm

leam wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm
I've had my Respironics REMaster Plus M series for a while How long do they last? If you're nowhere near the prescribing doctor, do you have to get the sleep study done over?

Thanks!
You could start with this search list of links.......

search.php?keywords=%22How+long+do+machines+last%3F%22

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

springman946

Post by springman946 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:46 pm

most insurance companies will replace your machine every 5 years but the machine could last 12 years or longer I have a backup machine that I keep at my parents house in case something happens to my current machine and I got it back in october of 2011

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:14 pm

springman946 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:46 pm
most insurance companies will replace your machine every 5 years but the machine could last 12 years or longer I have a backup machine that I keep at my parents house in case something happens to my current machine and I got it back in october of 2011
They will last 25 years or longer if it's a back up and rarely used.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:09 pm

First, they take your sleep study for 10 years. Don't let your doctor badger you into a study that you don't need. If you've been doing fine with your prior machine, then there is no need for one. Insist on an APAP (see links above) that is data capable. If you need adjustments, that will tell you more with Sleepyhead than a lab study, in most cases.

The machines are designed to last at least 5 years. The repair guy said that Resmed and Respironics only see an increase in repair rate at about 17,000 hours (6 years). Other brands have an increase in repairs starting around 4 years. Obviously, mileage varies. They can go many more years. My brother's bipap has almost 19,000 hours and it still works but needed seals replaced. That is his backup machine now.

In the past most insurance companies replaced machines automatically at 5 years. Medicare has now changed how replacement occurs and the insurance companies will probably follow along (no word on that yet). We don't have a lot of data yet on what DMEs are ACTUALLY doing, but my GUESS is that you either have to reach 15,000 machine hours OR your machine has stopped working. But for now, if you have regular insurance, you should already be eligible, so give them a call tomorrow and ask what your benefits are.

Last edited by SewTired on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diabetes 2, RLS & bradycardia
Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 am

I believe under medicare if you haven't been keeping regular follow up
appointments with the dr. treating you for sleep apnea you will need
another sleep study.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 am
I believe under medicare if you haven't been keeping regular follow up
appointments with the dr. treating you for sleep apnea you will need
another sleep study.
Nope. Medicare doesn't require a new sleep study if you've had one within the last 10 years whether you and your doctor have discussed it or not. What they DO require is a face to face discussion about your need for a new machine before a Medicare-paid-for-machine is ordered. The problem is that many people don't have a copy of their previous sleep study and no DME is going to give you a machine without it because they'd get hit during an audit. Whether your doctor requires one is up to him/her.

As an aside: I try to remind people all the time to get copies of all their medical records and any raw data, whether it's sleep, heart, or just regular checkups. These records get lost or pitched. Don't rely on your doctor's office or hospital to keep them. At the very least, convert all the paper stuff to something you can store (keeping in mind that you want multiple storage devices since those fail over time as well).

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

leam wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks!
Hopefully A long time. I started CPAP about 7 months ago when I had excellent health insurance (paid a total of about 80 dollars out of pocket for my sleep studies and CPAP machine) but the city decided to move us to a HUGE deductible plan (essentially almost impossible to meet my family deductible short of several big medical emergencies in a year). Next time I need a machine, study etc will be 100% out of pocket.

J-

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:57 am

My friend has had his for over 10 years without any service.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:47 pm

My last machine is 12 years old. Still runs. Resmed S8 elite.

I wanted an apap and my old machine was loud. Plus I just had the faintest feeling that it had started to sound a little different. I dont know. I might be paranoid. My husband swears it sounds the same as it always has. lol

So I replaced it. But it still lives in my closet as a backup.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:30 am

Too tall wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:57 am
My friend has had his for over 10 years without any service.
FWIW, my brother's bipap works just fine. However, when it was tested with a manometer, it was no longer holding the pressures that it was when new. Required seals to be replaced. That explained why, when he got his new machine, he felt like he was being blasted with air - the seals very gradually were failing so the 20 pressure he was supposed to have was more like 18.6. If your friend is sleeping fine, no need to do anything, but something to consider if he starts having sleep problems.

KenH

Post by KenH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:21 pm

I am past 7 years on my Resmed S9 auto. Getting a new Airsense 10 Monday. But the S9 is still going strong.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:32 pm

In addition to what I mentioned before, I failed to mention that Intellipap (DeVilbiss) has a 5 year warranty on their machines and 3 year warranty on their humidifiers (before that it was 3 years - still longer than either Resmed or Respironics). I don't recall what the repair guy said on this brand, but with an extended warranty like that, it's likely he didn't deal with the machines all that much since they are sent specific repair folks. There are several regular board members who use this brand.

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:21 pm

I was told that it is at least 5 years before you qualify for a better cpap.im not sure if it’s the same for every Dme or whatever.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013