From N30i to P30i leads to mouth breathing & leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grounded

From N30i to P30i leads to mouth breathing & leaks

Post by grounded » Sat May 30, 2020 8:04 am

Yesterday I swapped out the Resmed N30i nasal to the P30i pillows and absolutely loved the comfort difference. Best feel of all masks I've tried. Multiple times last night I woke to notice my mouth was open and quite dry. This didn't happen with the N30i. This makes no sense to me. I did sleep on my sides somewhat last night as I felt more comfortable. At the end of the day, does it not really matter since my Sp02 never dropped below 91?

05-30-20.png
05-30-20.png (644.46 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

weiss27md

Re: From N30i to P30i leads to mouth breathing & leaks

Post by weiss27md » Sun May 31, 2020 4:11 pm

Maybe give it a couple days and see how you compared to the other mask. Maybe it's leaking from laying on your side, maybe the mask needs to be adjusted or maybe you are having mouth leaks.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sun May 31, 2020 4:47 pm

Like you I tried the N30i first, and I agree that the P30i is WAY more comfortable. I always set my humidifier on the highest setting, and that seems to help me avoid dry mouth.

Maybe your chin drops when you sleep on your side. That could probably cause your mouth to open a little. You might actually do better on your back, or if you prefer side sleeping, a soft neck collar might help keep your chin up and your mouth closed.

Best of luck with finding a good solution. :)
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

grounded

Post by grounded » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am

Still leaking. I've found myself breathing through my mouth at times :( Should I not care since my Sp02 never drops below 92?

06-02-20.jpg
06-02-20.jpg (458.44 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm

grounded wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am
Still leaking. I've found myself breathing through my mouth at times :( Should I not care since my Sp02 never drops below 92?
Depends on how you are sleeping and feeling.
The large leaks are small and brief and unlikely to impact therapy itself all that much. If I was sleeping good and feeling decent and the oxygen levels were stable...I would shrug my shoulders and move on. I have ignored worse.

I know I still occasionally mouth breathe but for me it is rare and I sleep through it and for me to try to have more perfect non mouth opening nights I would have to undertake measures that I already know to mess with my sleep quality a lot more than a few random mouth opening events might be a problem. I had to make a choice as to which way of doing things let me sleep and feel better. A little bit of large leak from anything I just ignore as long as I sleep good and feel good.
Now a half the night large leak...of course that's a problem but you had less than 1 % of the entire night in large leak and barely in large leak territory at that. I wouldn't give that a second thought.

Now if you are repeatedly waking through the night because of either any size leak or the dry mouth...then I would want to try to reduce that but just from a sleep quality issue and not therapy issue.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

grounded

Post by grounded » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm
If I was sleeping good and feeling decent and the oxygen levels were stable...I would shrug my shoulders and move on. I have ignored worse.
Sounds good. Thanks for your take!!

Diotima

Post by Diotima » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm

How do you get used to the p30i? I find it puts to much upward pressure on nose and leads to pain. I use a P10 instead due to needing maximum comfort.

grounded

Post by grounded » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Diotima wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm
How do you get used to the p30i? I find it puts to much upward pressure on nose and leads to pain. I use a P10 instead due to needing maximum comfort.

I went from a full face mask F30i (total disaster) to an N30i (much better but not awesome) to the P30i sized medium and it felt great. After about 4 nights I've developed a crack inside my nose, in one nostril adjacent to the septum. I had also bought a P30i size large and based on a comment I read in another thread, I'm going to try that tonight as it helped someone else with this same issue and they didn't have a big shnaz.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Grounded,

I was finding the inside of my nose sometimes felt way too dry, and I'd wake up with hard dry snot (I'm sure that's the technical term) just inside my nostrils. I started putting just a dab of Lanishoh (brand name for lanolin sold in baby departments at Wal-Mart, Target and probably drug stores) spread up as far as I could reach with my pinky fingers. Problem solved!
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system