When Using OSCAR How Can you Tell When Your Sleeping?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WakingKnowledge

When Using OSCAR How Can you Tell When Your Sleeping?

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pm

When Using OSCAR How Can you Tell When Your Sleeping? How do you know when your in REM sleep and for how long? How do you tell the stages of sleep from the chart? I guess I need to understand more than just pressures and time.
"

WakingKnowledge

Re: When Using OSCAR How Can you Tell When Your Sleeping?

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm

What part of the chart do you look at for this? what does a sharp exhalation look like on a OSCAR chart. I understand the sinusoidal wave.
"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 pm

Google "sinusoidal wave".
Commit the shape to memory.
Problem solved.

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:12 am

So if I understand this correctly. The top one would be awake while the one below that is asleep? Am I right? The last one is them side by side for easy comparison.
awake.jpg
awake.jpg (365.22 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
sleep.jpg
sleep.jpg (377.49 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
awakevssleepjpg.jpg
awakevssleepjpg.jpg (276.32 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
"

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:26 am

You're pushing for definition when you've been told it doesn't exist... and what you posted is not enough to go there. FR's change every night to some extent for every person, and you won't get easy answers chasing what looks similar to you on one night.

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:26 am
You're pushing for definition when you've been told it doesn't exist... and what you posted is not enough to go there. FR's change every night to some extent for every person, and you won't get easy answers chasing what looks similar to you on one night.
They said you can tell if your awake or asleep by flow rate.

Pale rider said:
Awake breathing is more sinusoidal, whereas asleep breathing tends to have a more sharp exhalation, that trails off to a pause before the next breath starts.
A sine wave or sinusoid is a mathematical curve that describes a smooth periodic oscillation. A sine wave is a continuous wave. Stressing the word smooth. One can clearly see the transition from smooth to not smooth in the flow rate. IMHO
"

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:23 am

WakingKnowledge wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pm
When Using OSCAR How Can you Tell When Your Sleeping? How do you know when your in REM sleep and for how long? How do you tell the stages of sleep from the chart? I guess I need to understand more than just pressures and time.
Hi,

_ such a good question! Let me share my experience;

_ I think I have learned and used for the last 1.5 years or so, by daily observations on my OSCAR charts and tricks;

_ first, OSCAR outcomes are amazingly under used in my opinion; so many information ou there, in particular when you calibrated your curves by (a) going back and forth on your data and respiratory patterns literature; (b) audio-recording some few times (my case) or video-record sleep, and some tricks: for instance, I have calibrated my charts (FR, RR, TV, MV, Inspiration time, those I like most) by touch the machine button in awakenings, sayind something (kind of "turning to the right.....damn thing, new awakening!....damn thing, this nighmare again...and so on);

_ having said that, maybe I could take the risk and say:

----REM sleep stage, yes, it is pretty easy and straighforward differentiate them, for most people I have been observing for a quite some time. You may want to go to literature and explore on hyponograms, brain waves form (respiratory waveforms kind are the opposite of EEG waveform), universal pattern of sleep stages concerning periodicity, Respiratory Rate Varibaility and so on. Get familiar with your constrictions and expansion of your respiration during REM in periods from some 60min to 90 min; tends to dominate late at night;

..... in consequence, differentiate NREM and REM would be rather easy;

....Differentiate among NREM? maybe not possible with OSCAR outcomes;

.... Sleep and Awake: I would agree with palerider and Pugsy. Yet much harder than spot REM's, it also possible, in particularly you calibrate and get familiar with your respiratory patterns. Sometimes, more rarely, it is not possible to differentiate. Also take into account that your RR while sleeping is about 90% while awake.

all the best and good luck
Last edited by mper!? on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Not a Doctor.
"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight (Carly Fiorina)".

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks! Like always you are very helpful. In which of the charts I posted would you say I was asleep if you had to give it an educated guess? the military time is listed on the flow chart. if you could say in-between what times I was asleep and probably awake I would be able to understand better. Also can you give me an exact link to the video as I can't find it.
"

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks. I think I understand it know.
"

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes but nobody has given me the direct link to this video. I cannot find which video it it there are many. Well if I was not asleep during those charts then I did not sleep at all. I did not feel great when I got up but I know I slept.
"

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 pm

WakingKnowledge wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 pm
Well if I was not asleep during those charts then I did not sleep at all. I did not feel great when I got up but I know I slept.
Nobody said you weren't asleep during those periods.

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Stop being lazy, go educate yourself.
I watched most of them already but cannot find the one Pugsy was taking about.
*sigh* you were not awake on either of those.
You said before:
Given that neither of those samples is even remotely sinusoidal, no, no you are not right, and no you don't understand it correctly.
I thought sinusoidal meant you are asleep? I am assuming by samples you mean the charts I posted? If so I am extremely confused.
"

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:15 pm

The one titled: Does CPAP Cause Central Apneas? CPAP Induced Central Sleep Apnea. Interpret Sleep? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQFESw ... e=emb_logo
"

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Correcting a misconception - losing weight, unless you have bariatric surgery, lose 100+ lbs and even then nothing is for sure - will NOT get you off Cpap, so don't hold your breathe, no pun blah blah.

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm

Julie wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 pm
Correcting a misconception - losing weight, unless you have bariatric surgery, lose 100+ lbs and even then nothing is for sure - will NOT get you off Cpap, so don't hold your breathe, no pun blah blah.
My sleep doctor said the only reason I have sleep apnea is because I have a fat tongue. She says if it lose enough weight the fat will come off the tongue as well and I will be able to get off cpap. They will retest me at 185 lbs. I am 215 now. The weight is a good as gone. I was 300lbs before and lost that weight and kept it off. I can do this. If that does not work then there are other options for getting off cpap I might consider but it means surgery. But I will stay Positive as always and know it will work for me.
"