Airsense 10 humidifier tank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
thsieh0111

Airsense 10 humidifier tank

Post by thsieh0111 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 am

Probably a dumb question, but I have an Airsense 10 and was wondering if the humidifier tank needed to be cleaned daily if I only ever use distilled water. I read the daily cleaning is more to prevent scaling if using tap water? I'll clean it daily if I have to, I just hate the thought of emptying it every day and wasting all that distilled water. Thanks!
MACHINE: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
MASK: Philips Respironics Dreamwear full face

Pugsy

Re: Airsense 10 humidifier tank

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:15 am

No, it does NOT have to be cleaned daily.
How often depends on your own personal decision and what you are comfortable with.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:18 am

I use tap water and wash my humidifier once every 2 to 3 weeks.

I don't think daily is necessary, but your comfort level is important.

thsieh0111

Post by thsieh0111 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:22 am

Thank you! SHould I be emptying it everyday? I've been topping it off every few days and I just read somewhere that's a no no
MACHINE: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
MASK: Philips Respironics Dreamwear full face

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:27 am

Glad you're rich... you're pouring good $ down the drain for nothing (unless you do see ? that needs cleaning... pink scum in corners... a vinegar dunked Q tip will clean it).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:35 am

I use primarily distilled water and top it off each night. I would love to get 2 nights out of a tank of water but I can't.
The only time I might dump the tank regularly is when I might need to use tap water for any length of time.
I can't remember the last time I washed the water chamber...probably 2 or 3 months ago. Some nights I use up pretty much all the water for some reason and sometimes when I see a really low water level...and I can't remember when I washed things...I will go ahead and dump what little water is in there and do a quick wash and then refill it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am

Glad you're rich... you're pouring good $ down the drain for nothing (unless you do see ? that needs cleaning... pink scum in corners... a vinegar dunked Q tip will clean it).
Oh oh.

Now you've done it. This is sure to summon CPAPtalk's resident, how dare you suggest distilled water can't be used, tapwaterophobe.

He's sure to be along any second now.

Tap_Genie.jpg
Tap_Genie.jpg (228.86 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

@OP
In case you weren't aware:
  • Distilled water isn't medically necessary
  • Distilled water is a cleaning convenience. If your water is safe to drink, it can be used in your humidifier
  • Many countries do not have convenient, cheap access to distilled water, they use tap water all the time
  • ResMed has made the following statement on tap water use:
    • "As stated in our clinical and user guides, optimal humidifier performance requires distilled water. That’s because most or all of its minerals have been removed, preventing mineral buildup in the humidifier tub. That said, tap or bottled water may also be used. It will not harm the device or pose a risk to patients. It will, however, require more rigorous humidifier cleaning to prevent excess mineral buildup in the tub."
    • https://www.resmed.com/en-us/covid-19/
  • ResMed's care instructions do not suggest distilled water in markets where it is not conveniently available, many European countries
  • ResMed's dishwasher water safe humidifier does not include the Distilled Water Only, as their other tank does.
Choose for yourself, based on your own water quality, comfort level and convenience, whether you want to try other water sources. But don't let fear mongers scare you into thinking you must only use distilled water.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 am

I have not cleaned mine yet, and it looks as good as the day I opened it from the package.

I fill only with distilled water and empty it each morning and allow to dry upside down on a towel.

I think generally there’s a push to overclean all this stuff and I wonder if it’s more CYA than anything.

I remember opening up all the packaging for my first CPAP machine, the Phillips, and all the instructions on scrubbing everything down every day, and I said “that ain’t happening“.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:46 am

EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 am
I have not cleaned mine yet, and it looks as good as the day I opened it from the package.

that sentence alone doesn't say much.

"the day that you opened it" is when?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 am

zonker wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:46 am
EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 am

that sentence alone doesn't say much.

"the day that you opened it" is when?
A few months ago but that shouldn’t matter, it will be the same in a year or two if it’s emptied and dried out each day with only distilled water going in it?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 am
A few months ago but that shouldn’t matter, it will be the same in a year or two if it’s emptied and dried out each day with only distilled water going in it?
Yes, it will look real pretty but you know what????
I have probably 2 years on the one I am using now and I just pulled it out and compared it to the spare new in box (I always keep a spare because I have broken 2 by dropping) and it looks the same as the new in box chamber.
So it looks real pretty as well. :D
So I guess my lack of whatever....didn't hurt the looks of things.

Each to your own...whatever floats your boat kind of thing...whatever makes you happy and lets you sleep at night.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm

One thing to remember, do not dispose of Distilled Water in the city sewer systems, it will confuse the fish. They will not be able to tell for sure if the river water is fresh or salt water, protect our wild life. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Popozeto

Post by Popozeto » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:15 pm

I did read in a article that it was more convenient to empty every day since the water could pick dust or fine particles in the air that flows through the machine each night. But whatever rocks your boat and lets you have a good nights sleep :D

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:46 pm

My own experience...

I am still using the same humidifier tank that came with my machine 4-5 years ago.

Normally, I use distilled water at home. If I'm on a trip less than a week, I'll use hotel tap water.
If my trip is for an extended trip, I may pick up a gallon of distilled water at a local store.

Like Pugsy, I just top it off every night. Maybe once a month or so, when I see the water is low and I still have time before bed...I'll wash it out with hot water and just the soap I use for hand washing. I may even get a q-tip out and make sure there is none of that pink stuff in the small corners or crevices.

I found pink stuff on one of the q-tips once. I then proceeded to spray it with Tilex (bathroom bleach-based cleaner) and cleaned it out & thoroughly rinsed it out...and let it soak in rinse water for a while...there was a slight smell of the bleach afterwards...but it eventually went away.

Hoses get washed about every 3-4 months. I do wash the AirFit P10 nasal pillows about every other day - again, just with simple hand washing soap - in my house, we use Dove bars. -- BTW, I've been using the same nasal pillow for at least 6+ months... I do change the headband and its Airfit P10 holder about once a year.

Ah, I remember when I was a newbie and I went and bought a bottle of baby shampoo and soaked everything in a tub of hot soapy water once a week per the direction of my DME/doctor Yeah, those days are long gone!! 8) :lol:
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:56 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:46 pm
Ah, I remember when I was a newbie and I went and bought a bottle of baby shampoo and soaked everything in a tub of hot soapy water once a week per the direction of my DME/doctor Yeah, those days are long gone!! 8)
Yeah...I did that as well back in 2009 when I first started cpap....that got old real fast.
At about 6 months I got real lazy about cleaning everything and quickly realized it didn't kill me and I have become even lazier over the years.