CO2 Exhaust Questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kurtr

CO2 Exhaust Questions

Post by kurtr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 am

I have cluster headaches which are triggered by CO2 either by apnea and/or rebreathing in the mask.
I am looking for the best system to flush out the CO2 without going to an oxygen feed. Through trial and error and reading the posts I have the following questions:
1. For me my Resmed S8 on EPR seems to make me feel better than straight CPAP or AUTO. The Respironics on C-flex does not work on me. Would it be true that EPR exhausts CO2 faster? Maybe due to fuller breaths out?
2. I also do better on the higher exhaust masks: swift and hybrid (although I cannot get it to stop leaking). The breeze and Resmed FFM do not work for me: ie -I can have very low numbers on the FFM and still feel terrible in the AM. Do the newer pillow masks (Bravo etc) have the high exhaust rate like the swift? Do larger shell FFM masks retain more CO2?
Any suggestions on the best system to flush out CO2 is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kurt

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:17 am

Some mask flush Rates can be viewed here:
http://www.internetage.com/cpapinfo/leak-rates-1.html

People have more fun than anybody..

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Do you have the new headgear for your hybrid? Seems Respcare is still giving it away if you get the old one by mistake. The new one is grey on the inside and black on the outside. I fould I get a much better seal without having to wear it tight with the new version. Worth a try. You need the high co2 fulsh out.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Why doesn't somebody make an adjustable-flush mask, already? It's not hard. Have a sliding plate that covers various amounts of the holds depending on where you have it positioned, something like that. That'd be great. You could fine-tune your exhaust rate until you feel the best!

You can do it now with a drill, but it's irreversible... why hasn't anyone made an adjustable-exhaust mask?