A Poll -- How compliant are you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How compliant are you

100% -- I always use CPAP (or APAP, or Bi-PAP), even with naps
72%
85%
20%
75%
5%
65%
1%
55%
1%
45%
No votes
35%
No votes
25%
1%
15%
1%
0% -- Even though I have all the equipment, I cannot take the next step
1%

Total votes: 199

Sloop

A Poll -- How compliant are you?

Post by Sloop » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Hopefully we'll see a huge slant toward 100%.

I myself have been 100% for 20 1/2 years, ever since the first night. One exception was last summer for one night during our hurricane when we lost power and I had not prepared with a backup battery, cable, etc. That problem is no longer an issue.

If you are struggling with being compliant, this is the right place to get help.

Last edited by Sloop on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
................21+ years of restorative, apnea-free sleep.

TheDuke

Re: A Poll -- How compliant are you?

Post by TheDuke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 pm

My answer is not strictly true. I Always use my machine when I sleep at night 100% of the time, but although I rarely if ever deliberately nap, I do fall asleep at times when I am relaxed and/or bored as watching TV or reading and then I never use my machine. I use it only when I am in bed to sleep.

TheDuke

flatag

Post by flatag » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:02 am

TheDuke wrote:My answer is not strictly true. I Always use my machine when I sleep at night 100% of the time, but although I rarely if ever deliberately nap, I do fall asleep at times when I am relaxed and/or bored as watching TV or reading and then I never use my machine. I use it only when I am in bed to sleep.

TheDuke
^This

~jimnsc

Post by ~jimnsc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:19 am

85 % is the closest I can come and still be honest. Never a nap. I've had a bad summer cold for the last week - - there's where the 85% comes in as I used it for different periods of time each night. While well, I'll be 100% except for naps (which I rarely take but a nap just 'happens' with me and is never planned).
Each new day is a gift - open it.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 am

99.2% actual compliance over 870 nights, according to SleepyHead. There are 4 or 5 nights when I used it for less than 4 hours - probably because I was traveling overseas or the power failed before I got my battery back-up.

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:27 am

I would put it somewhere in the 90's. Just in bed and am getting really good at putting mask back on if I either get up or take it off in middle of night. Hard to comply when I'm sick or had some oral surgery.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 am

TheDuke wrote:My answer is not strictly true. I Always use my machine when I sleep at night 100% of the time, but although I rarely if ever deliberately nap, I do fall asleep at times when I am relaxed and/or bored as watching TV or reading and then I never use my machine. I use it only when I am in bed to sleep.

TheDuke
What he said. I sometimes fall asleep for 15-20 minutes and didn't count that.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:50 am

I try to be compliant in that I mask up each night and give myself a quiet pep talk before hitting the pillow but I am still having issues with taking the mask off while I'm sleeping. Ten days have passed without removing it so, hopefully, I'm turning the corner and will be worthy of checking 100% soon. There's insurance compliance and then there's reasonable personal compliance. What matters to me is my being able to say that I went to bed masked up and woke up in the morning with the darn thing still attached to my face.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:23 am

I do not like this therapy. But, I am compliant. My Dad once told me how he got through WWII by saying, "Snoots, we just did what we had to do." Geez, if Dad can look at his years in the army like that, how can I not be compliant? PAPpy is way less challenging than war!

Come on, folks. PAPpy really isn't that bad after all. Use it, even if you don't like it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am

How compliant are you?
Depends on his personality, looks, grooming, dress, education and portfolio.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm

I detest the term "Compliant" It smacks of "1984" sheeple.

I choose to use my cpap machine for MY personal benefit every time I sleep. Just like I take meds I have researched and I believe will be beneficial and don't take the ones where I feel the side effects outweigh the benefits (like statins). I don't have to report my activity like an errant child to some autocrat.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

100% since Dec 1, 2005.

Exclusion: I rarely nap, but if I happen to get up at 4 AM to be on a transcon commercial flight, I occasionally permit a few winks at 35,000 feet. (I'm not going to haul out the SCUBA gear for an inflight dog nap)

gertrude

Post by gertrude » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:I detest the term "Compliant"
I agree with Blackspinner about the word compliant. It means "excessively submissive." Yes, I know it is a medical term of art, but it indicates an attitude that should be recognized as seriously outdated. I'm happy to "adhere" to my therapy, which I have decided (with my doctor's advice and knowledge from my own research) is in my best interest. But I won't think of myself as "compliant."

One of the things that made using the therapy hard for me at the start was my aversion to being monitored and the concept of compliance. With all the other challenges I didn't need that additional hurdle. Luckily by finding this site I came to see the datacard as something I can use, so now it seems like a benefit rather than an invasion of my privacy and autonomy.

Last time I went to the sleep doctor, I was prepared to ask her not to use the word compliant. But she never did, so I didn't need to. Maybe next time.

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:12 pm

I wouldn't dream of going to bed without my APAP. I have fallen asleep in the recliner while watching TV but to the best of my knowledge my naps last about 20 minutes and I wake up , when I'm really tired in the daytime I will go to bed in order to put mask on .

jacob006a

Post by jacob006a » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 pm

I am between 85 and 90, because of the insomnia and pulling the mask off at night.