Wish I could find a Cloth Mask . . .

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beautifuldreamer

Wish I could find a Cloth Mask . . .

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm

I've been finding that my skin reacts to the silicon on my face. Even with about 10 minutes of trying masks at the Sleep Clinic, the redness appears . . . So, I have been in search of getting a cloth mask that would work for me- Tried the Remzzz liners, but the liner seems to slip and I get red with those too.

I have tried the SleepWeaver Advance, but the air keeps blowing in my eyes - and I still get a little redness from that too. I called for advice and watched You Tube Videos on how to get the right fit on the mask but it did not help.

For some reason I thought the Wisp had a fabric version, but realized that the fabric is only an option for the frame, not the nasal part . . . So, after a month of waiting for the DME to get it for me, I was able to receive the Wisp today - I am hesitant to open the package since I am wondering if the wisp will also cause redness on my face.

I get the least amount of redness with the nasal pillows, since it only touches the face near the nostrils. I have very sensitive skin. . .

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks much
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Stormynights

Re: Wish I could find a Cloth Mask . . .

Post by Stormynights » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 pm

I like Sleepweaver. The Advanced was a very good one for me but some nights I had to wear an eye mask over it to keep air from blowing in my eyes. Now that I have used the Elan for a while I never have air blowing in my eyes. (I hope the Aliens don't see this and take the challenge.)

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Stormynights wrote:I like Sleepweaver. The Advanced was a very good one for me but some nights I had to wear an eye mask over it to keep air from blowing in my eyes. Now that I have used the Elan for a while I never have air blowing in my eyes. (I hope the Aliens don't see this and take the challenge.)
I was able to get a minimally used Elan, but it doesn't have the feather weight hose and tether strap with it. I tried it for about an hour early in the morning. It seemed to fit better than the advanced one that I had received from the DME. Will give it a try tonight . . .

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm

beautifuldreamer wrote:I've been finding that my skin reacts to the silicon on my face. Even with about 10 minutes of trying masks at the Sleep Clinic, the redness appears . . . So, I have been in search of getting a cloth mask that would work for me- Tried the Remzzz liners, but the liner seems to slip and I get red with those too.

I have tried the SleepWeaver Advance, but the air keeps blowing in my eyes - and I still get a little redness from that too. I called for advice and watched You Tube Videos on how to get the right fit on the mask but it did not help.

For some reason I thought the Wisp had a fabric version, but realized that the fabric is only an option for the frame, not the nasal part . . . So, after a month of waiting for the DME to get it for me, I was able to receive the Wisp today - I am hesitant to open the package since I am wondering if the wisp will also cause redness on my face.

I get the least amount of redness with the nasal pillows, since it only touches the face near the nostrils. I have very sensitive skin. . .

Have you tried mask liners?????????????

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 pm

LSAT wrote:
beautifuldreamer wrote:I've been finding that my skin reacts to the silicon on my face. Even with about 10 minutes of trying masks at the Sleep Clinic, the redness appears . . . So, I have been in search of getting a cloth mask that would work for me- Tried the Remzzz liners, but the liner seems to slip and I get red with those too.

Have you tried mask liners?????????????
Yes tried the Remzzz liners, and they seem to slip out and I get very red by morning time with the nasal masks . . .

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

beautifuldreamer wrote:
Stormynights wrote:I like Sleepweaver. The Advanced was a very good one for me but some nights I had to wear an eye mask over it to keep air from blowing in my eyes. Now that I have used the Elan for a while I never have air blowing in my eyes. (I hope the Aliens don't see this and take the challenge.)
I was able to get a minimally used Elan, but it doesn't have the feather weight hose and tether strap with it. I tried it for about an hour early in the morning. It seemed to fit better than the advanced one that I had received from the DME. Will give it a try tonight . . .
You really need that hose. Without the little light short hose I think the weight of the heavy hose will pull it down too much. I don't use the tether strap but I have the Hozer hose management. Keep the straps loose and keep it down close to the end of your nose. The Sleepweaver is so different from other masks I think most of the fitting problems come from trying to fit them the same as the hard masks.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Stormynights wrote:
beautifuldreamer wrote:
You really need that hose. Without the little light short hose I think the weight of the heavy hose will pull it down too much. I don't use the tether strap but I have the Hozer hose management. Keep the straps loose and keep it down close to the end of your nose. The Sleepweaver is so different from other masks I think most of the fitting problems come from trying to fit them the same as the hard masks.
In process of trying to order one now- likely since it is a holiday weekend, it won't ship out until Tuesday, . . . so I will go ahead and try it without the featherweight tube tonight, and see how it goes . . . I notice in the Wisp Mask Package there is a light weight tube but not sure if it would be compatible with the sleepweaver elan . . .

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Completely incompatible.
The Wisp and Swift FX short hoses are permanently attached to the elbow and exhaust vents
for each mask; while the featherweight SleepWeaver tubing is just a piece of tubing
with one end to fit the hose and the other to fit the mask.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 9:32 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Completely incompatible.
The Wisp and Swift FX short hoses are permanently attached to the elbow and exhaust vents
for each mask; while the featherweight SleepWeaver tubing is just a piece of tubing
with one end to fit the hose and the other to fit the mask.
Thanks for letting me know about the incompatibility-

my other thought is that maybe I can buy a pad-a-cheek liner (they look more fitted for the nasal piece than the remzzz disposable liners) for the nasal part of the wisp- but have to figure out which size - petite, small/medium, or large . . . Probably it is either the petite or small/medium size . . .

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm

The Pad a cheek liners are more permanently fixed so less chance of it sliding around.
Wonder in the meantime if you could some how fixate the Remzzz liner to the mask...maybe some strategically placed tape to help keep it from moving around????
If you can use the nasal pillow mask so minimal contact with the skin...did you try using some Lansinoh lanolin ointment as a barrier? We often suggest it to help with irritation at the nostrils.

Also.. Phillips Milk of Magnesia...liquid. Some people have used it as a barrier between the mask material and the skin when there is irritation from the mask materials. Apply the liquid MOM and let it dry. From what people have said it does a good job as a barrier.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Pugsy wrote:The Pad a cheek liners are more permanently fixed so less chance of it sliding around.
Wonder in the meantime if you could some how fixate the Remzzz liner to the mask...maybe some strategically placed tape to help keep it from moving around????
If you can use the nasal pillow mask so minimal contact with the skin...did you try using some Lansinoh lanolin ointment as a barrier? We often suggest it to help with irritation at the nostrils.

Also.. Phillips Milk of Magnesia...liquid. Some people have used it as a barrier between the mask material and the skin when there is irritation from the mask materials. Apply the liquid MOM and let it dry. From what people have said it does a good job as a barrier.
Thanks for the ideas- will give them a try

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 am

Go to paint store and get a painters mask.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 am

Try cleaning the silicone pillows/cushions really, really well. There might be some sort of manufacturing residue. Disassemble and run the silicone part that touches your face through the dishwasher several times. You might try boiling some water, adding some baking soda, turn off the heat, and then swish the pillow/cushion/flap around for a while in the water. Some people even actually boil their silicone parts, but I'm not quite that brave.

At worst, you damage the silicone parts you do this to, but I dishwash my stuff weekly, and have used the near boiling water treatment several times with no problems on the silicone parts.

Experiment with cleaning your skin really well before putting on the mask. However, for some people, cleaning the skin makes it worse.

Some people make their own liners from T-shirts or similar material.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Sun May 26, 2013 10:52 am

archangle wrote:Try cleaning the silicone pillows/cushions really, really well. There might be some sort of manufacturing residue. Disassemble and run the silicone part that touches your face through the dishwasher several times. You might try boiling some water, adding some baking soda, turn off the heat, and then swish the pillow/cushion/flap around for a while in the water. Some people even actually boil their silicone parts, but I'm not quite that brave.

At worst, you damage the silicone parts you do this to, but I dishwash my stuff weekly, and have used the near boiling water treatment several times with no problems on the silicone parts.

Experiment with cleaning your skin really well before putting on the mask. However, for some people, cleaning the skin makes it worse.

Some people make their own liners from T-shirts or similar material.
I finally got up my courage to open up the brand new wisp package, and I have washed the nasal piece very very thoroughly with very hot water and hypoallergenic dish wash soap. Rinsed it several times. The silicon flap seems thinner than my other nasal masks, and the Remzzz liner seems like it might work with a little tape in some key places to hold it. Going to try it tonight

tried the milk of magnesia with the nasal pillows last night but that didn't help- also for some reason the pillows seemed to come out a little causing a leak, and then I tried to get it back in but the cpap kept thinking it was still out of place- so I finally got frustrated and just slept without the pillows. . .

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am

This is how I was able to wear the medium elan without either the lightweight hose or the tether.

The small size worked much better, and I was able to do this:
The ring is a small drapery ring, tied with dental floss; the loops are sili bands bracelets.