Newbie struggling with Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
smackman

Newbie struggling with Mask

Post by smackman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

I have been trying to wear this CPAP Mask but the Dry Mouth and the head gear are kicking my tail.

I need tto make this work because I also have AFIB which can be triggered by sleep apnea episodes. My Machine is a Philips Respironics System One with Humidifier and a Mirage Quattro Mask. I Keep the Humidifier jacked up on 4-5 and I also shutoff the automatic mode of the Humidifier so it would put out more moisture.

I need tips/help etc. My setting is only 8. I was titrated last Monday but I have had the machine 6 months but I also have been dealing with 2 other Health issues; My Heart and my Uretha. At this setting I had zero dreams one only one incident in 300 minutes where I stopped breathing.

Thanks for any help/advice/ etc. in advance.
Last edited by smackman on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philips Remstar 150P with Remstar Heated Humidifier 1056215
Mirage Quattro Mask

Meds
81 mg Aspirin
300 mg Pradaxa
800 mg Multaq
25 Metoporol
10 mg Lipitor
25 MCG/HR Fentanyl Patch
900 mg Neurotin
12.5 mg Elavil
300 mg Elmiron
3 mg Ativan

LSAT

Re: Newbie struggling with Mask

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 pm

smackman wrote:I have been trying to wear this CPAP Mask but the Dry Mouth and the head gear are kicking my tail.

I need tto make this work because I also have AFIB which can be triggered by sleep apnea episodes. My Machine is a Philips Respironics System One with Humidifier and a Mirage Quattro Mask. I Keep the Humidifier jacked up on 4-5 and I also shutoff the automatic mode of the Humidifier so it would put out more moisture.

I need tips/help etc. My setting is only 8. I was titrated last Monday but I have had the machine 6 months but I also have been dealing with 2 other Health issues; My Heart and my Uretha. At this setting I had zero dreams one only one incident in 300 hours where I stopped breathing.

Thanks for any help/advice/ etc. in advance.
If you are saying that you have had only one apnea in 300 hours (38-40 nights)...I don't believe it. How do you know this?

smackman

Post by smackman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:57 pm

I apologize; I meant 300 minutes. This test was done last Monday at the sleep apnea center in my city and my Doctor gave me the results today.

Honest mistake I edited my 1st post to show minutes
Mirage Quattro Mask

Meds
81 mg Aspirin
300 mg Pradaxa
800 mg Multaq
25 Metoporol
10 mg Lipitor
25 MCG/HR Fentanyl Patch
900 mg Neurotin
12.5 mg Elavil
300 mg Elmiron
3 mg Ativan

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Have you tried using a room humidifier in addition to the humidifier on your machine? I have the same machine and in my old place during the wintertime, this was the only thing that worked for me. My house was just so dry that the humidifier on the machine couldn't keep up.

What is it about the head gear that is bothering you? Have you tried any other masks? I could never adjust to the Quattro mask that I started out with, but I adore my Swift fx nasal mask.

Have you tried any mouth moisturizers?

Lukie

Post by Lukie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 am

I have tachycardia from my sleep apnea episodes and have to take a beta blocker to slow the heart down.
I use a quattro air full face mask with a ResMed chin strap.
I also occasionally use Remzzzs face liners to control leaks.
I use a hose hanger that keeps the hose out of the way.
I use a cpap pillow I got on amazon.com.
I still have occasional bad nights but all is getting better.
My Apneas are getting fewer and the heart issue is better.
I think most full face masks leak somewhat.
I find if I lie down and fit the mask before turn on the machine I get a better fit.
Don't fit the mask too tightly in the beginning. You may need to tighten it more if your pressure goes up and
you get a bad leak. A mask liner can help. You can put an old T shirt on your mask and make a cut out shaped like your mask and then
cut a hole in it and place it between you and the mask. But mask liners can be bought online.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:12 am

Tell us more about your leaks.

Are you able to get the mask on and the pressure on without leaks, and then the leaks come later? Or are you unable to get it started without leaking?

Where are the leaks? Up near the eyes (try moving the mask a little downward). Down by the mouth/cheeks? Could need to move up or down.

Are the leaks more when you are moving around, after you have been sleeping awhile?

Also, these masks depend on the air pressure to inflate the seal. This means that the mask should not be too tight. So, if you get it too tight, it will actually cause gaps and make it impossible to seal. It is a fine line to master. You may need to loosen it a bit, feel it inflate, and then slowly snug it a little to get to what you need.

It is also possible that you may need a different mask or size. It is hard to know when a mask is just not the right mask, or if it is a newbie issue. I knew my mask would fit me well because the sleep tech used the same mask on me in the sleep study. But it took me several weeks and a smaller headgear to get it to work for me at home.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

smackman

Post by smackman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:39 am

KatyDidAgain wrote:Have you tried using a room humidifier in addition to the humidifier on your machine? I have the same machine and in my old place during the wintertime, this was the only thing that worked for me. My house was just so dry that the humidifier on the machine couldn't keep up.

What is it about the head gear that is bothering you? Have you tried any other masks? I could never adjust to the Quattro mask that I started out with, but I adore my Swift fx nasal mask.

Have you tried any mouth moisturizers?
I use a room Humidifier when needed; I live in North Louisiana so the Humidity generally is high except 4 months in winter. The Humidity in my room is 48%.

The headgear leaves marks on my nose and my eyes are so dried out in the morning. Dry mouth is a bad issue that wakes me up. My machine is using water(distilled) but I still have the dry mouth.

I have tried 2 different mask full mask; The Amara then the Mirage Quattro. Maybe it just takes time but I am tired in the mornings......
I tried Biotene; little help if any.
Mirage Quattro Mask

Meds
81 mg Aspirin
300 mg Pradaxa
800 mg Multaq
25 Metoporol
10 mg Lipitor
25 MCG/HR Fentanyl Patch
900 mg Neurotin
12.5 mg Elavil
300 mg Elmiron
3 mg Ativan

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:51 am

smackman wrote:Dry mouth is a bad issue that wakes me up. My machine is using water(distilled) but I still have the dry mouth.
Unfortunately for many people using a full face mask and mouth breathing (likely why they are using a full face mask) even with high humidity being using in the machine settings or in their house...the mouth breathing drying out of the mouth is just extremely difficult to overcome.
The humidifier just can't keep adding enough moisture to replace the moisture lost my mouth breathing and the air flowing through the mask.
It was designed mainly to help keep the nasal mucosa happy...with the mouth there is a lot more area to try to keep happy.

Which System One machine are you using? Model number please? Model number is a 3 digit number on a little sticker on the bottom of the blower unit. It may be preceded by DS or REF.
Also what setting are you currently using on the humidifier now?
Look at your long hose attaching to the humidifier...does it have a black end on it where it attaches to the humidifier by chance???? Or is it white/gray on both ends?

Depending on model number and if your hose has a black end on it...you have other options for changing the settings to offer more added humidity to the air. Whether it will be enough..I don't know but doesn't hurt to explore the options.

When you say you have turned off automatic mode....I assume you have already changed it to Classic Mode, is that correct?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 am

Have you considered trying at least a chin strap under the mask?

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:27 am

I also have afib. I tried three mask before I went to the nasal type with the two little plugs that fit in your nose. I'm still getting dry mouth which I don't know what to do about.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:35 am

Give xylimelts or biotene a try

smackman

Post by smackman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Pugsy wrote:
smackman wrote:Dry mouth is a bad issue that wakes me up. My machine is using water(distilled) but I still have the dry mouth.
Unfortunately for many people using a full face mask and mouth breathing (likely why they are using a full face mask) even with high humidity being using in the machine settings or in their house...the mouth breathing drying out of the mouth is just extremely difficult to overcome.
The humidifier just can't keep adding enough moisture to replace the moisture lost my mouth breathing and the air flowing through the mask.
It was designed mainly to help keep the nasal mucosa happy...with the mouth there is a lot more area to try to keep happy.

Which System One machine are you using? Model number please? Model number is a 3 digit number on a little sticker on the bottom of the blower unit. It may be preceded by DS or REF.
Also what setting are you currently using on the humidifier now?
Look at your long hose attaching to the humidifier...does it have a black end on it where it attaches to the humidifier by chance???? Or is it white/gray on both ends?

Depending on model number and if your hose has a black end on it...you have other options for changing the settings to offer more added humidity to the air. Whether it will be enough..I don't know but doesn't hurt to explore the options.

When you say you have turned off automatic mode....I assume you have already changed it to Classic Mode, is that correct?
Remstar 150P CPAP
Remstar Heated Humidifier 1056215

The Hose is white and gray on one end and just white on the other. The white end is attached to the CPAP Machine; The other to the mask.

I turned System One humidification OFF which I believe is the new Classic mode. I just did this 2 nights ago after reading about this setting causing the humidifier to not put out as much when it is on.

I can change my Humidifier setting from 1 to 5. I have tried 3,4 and 5 but I just turned off the System One Humidification.

http://www.respironicsremstars.respiron ... Manual.pdf

i ALSO JUST READ MY CPAP machine is the "cheapo" machine. How the HELLO was I to know this? My cpap is the basic of basics from what I have read. Oh well
Mirage Quattro Mask

Meds
81 mg Aspirin
300 mg Pradaxa
800 mg Multaq
25 Metoporol
10 mg Lipitor
25 MCG/HR Fentanyl Patch
900 mg Neurotin
12.5 mg Elavil
300 mg Elmiron
3 mg Ativan

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:09 pm

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/ read the part that addresses "help, I am stuck with a brick".

Your machine is the PR System One Plus CPAP...doesn't even have CFlex exhale relief. The most basic of machines.

You are correct...with turning system one humidification mode to off...that makes the machine revert to Classic mode which will give you the most amount of added moisture as possible...it uses a lot more water and chances of rain out (condensation in hose or mask) is going to be greater.
Even at max of 5 I don't know if it will alleviate the dry mouth and if it does but rain out is an issue...rain out is easier to deal with than dry mouth.

If you had a 60 series machine instead of 50 series...there is a heated hose option which will allow for even more added moisture with less chance of rain out. Again, I don't know if it would be enough but would have been an option to consider. But the 50 part of your 150 tells me it is a 50 series machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Any chance you can exchange your machine for an upgrade? I'd make a fuss about it if you can. You definitely need a data capable machine with some exhale relief.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

smackman

Post by smackman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:45 pm

I am fairly sure I am stuck with this BRICK! I have had it for a year. Its a long "medical" story but I got my machine in Dec. 2012 and was titrated Dec. 2013.

They kept telling me there was no use of being titrated until I could wear my mask at least 5 hours consistently. I got pissed and put the machine in the drawer after 6 weeks of changing mask,just struggling.....

In Oct. 2013, I had another AFIB episode; In Nov. 2013 I had another AFIB episode. I decided to go ahead and get titrated since my yearly deductible was met.

I had minimal problems at the Sleep apnea center with dry mouth but I was using there CPAP machine with my mask and hose.

I do not know what I am going to do but this Remstar 150p series Respronics CPAP is not working for me. I hate it when a novice gets screwed and I feel like I was screwed. I need a good CPAP machine because sleep apnea is a BIG trigger for AFIB.

Lincare is my CPAP company. Heck, I had no idea I was getting a darn brick; Really pisses me off.
Mirage Quattro Mask

Meds
81 mg Aspirin
300 mg Pradaxa
800 mg Multaq
25 Metoporol
10 mg Lipitor
25 MCG/HR Fentanyl Patch
900 mg Neurotin
12.5 mg Elavil
300 mg Elmiron