Ahhhhh

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stopsnoring

Ahhhhh

Post by stopsnoring » Sat May 10, 2014 3:34 pm

I slept a whole 7 hours with my new ResMed AirFit P10 pillows last night. So happy. But today my nostrils are so sore and a bit red and swollen. Normal? Will it get better?

flyingcow

Re: Ahhhhh

Post by flyingcow » Sat May 10, 2014 3:39 pm

That happened to me as well... It was gone in about a week and a half in my case.

stopsnoring

Post by stopsnoring » Sat May 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks flyingcow! Did you use anything that helped during that time?

flyingcow

Post by flyingcow » Sat May 10, 2014 3:51 pm

I used some bee balm (Yay living in Vermont). Basically it's beeswax and olive oil. I think I've read that lanolin can also help

musculus

Post by musculus » Sat May 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Did you rinse or soak the pillow in hot water before first use? It happened to me too with Resmed Swift FX. You should rinse those chemicals (come from manufacturing) off.
stopsnoring wrote:I slept a whole 7 hours with my new ResMed AirFit P10 pillows last night. So happy. But today my nostrils are so sore and a bit red and swollen. Normal? Will it get better?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat May 10, 2014 6:10 pm

I had the same problem. It only took about a week after I STOPPEd using nasal pillow for it to clear up.

I have avoided nasal pillows the the past couple years and except for a problem with my SleepWeaver Anew FFM with my higher pressures on ASV, I have not had much problem.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 10, 2014 6:45 pm

I used Lansinoh, which made my nares sticky enough I could loosen the headgear up a bit without sacrificing a good seal.

happydaz

Post by happydaz » Sat May 10, 2014 8:54 pm

musculus wrote:Did you rinse or soak the pillow in hot water before first use? It happened to me too with Resmed Swift FX. You should rinse those chemicals (come from manufacturing) off.
For the majority of people, that would be over kill. Didn't rinse and never had a problem.

Ontario CPAP

Post by Ontario CPAP » Sun May 11, 2014 8:59 pm

When I first started using pillows (swift FX) my nostrils were very sore. I used vitamin E oil on the sore spots in the morning. After a few days (less than a week) I was fine. Been using them for 9 months now without any further discomfort.

I keep the mask quite loose, by the way. The back and top straps are just tight enough to maintain a seal around my nostrils. When I went for a titration study with the mask, the sleep institute technician cranked up the straps much tighter than necessary. After she left the room, I loosened them significantly and was fine.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun May 11, 2014 9:30 pm

When I switched to Swift FX, I'd wear them a few hours at a time. Sometimes I'd wear them all night, but then skip a day if I got sore.

Now, they feel like part of me. I could wear them 24/7.

Lanisnoh HPA lanolin is the ointment to use. Don't the the diaper rash cream or one of the other Lanisnoh products.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.