Used Tap Pap for first time last night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PartlyCloudy

Used Tap Pap for first time last night

Post by PartlyCloudy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:57 am

I started cpap several months ago and have been underwhelmed. Just last week I finally figured out all the (mild, negligible according to Sleepyhead) leaks are driving me nuts. I guess I'm just sensitive to that noise/feeling. So I thought I'd try some different masks.

I ordered the Tap Pap first and tried it out last night. Normally I can't use a nasal pillow as I feel I'm suffocating on incoming air, but I didn't feel that way at all with these. I started out with the small pillows, which leaked, as did the mediums, which whistled. Much to my surprise I had to use the Large size (I have a small nose). But they were perfectly quiet and leak-free. I guess I have a small nose with huge nostrils.

I normally use a mouth guard due to jaw clinching so I simply used the Tap Pap mouth piece for that purpose and it worked fine. I'll boil and adjust it today. I was just lazy yesterday and I pretty much bite down all night anyway. The one time when I did get a leak was when I was on my side and my mouth had relaxed so the nasal pillows moved. If I'd fitted the mouth piece I don't think this would've happened.

Speaking of which, I'm a side sleeper and these are WONDERFUL for that position.

I did use the head gear as I prefer my hose to be secured. It came off once during the night, but I have a gigantic pumpkin-sized head so no head gear fits me right. I love how the head gear just sits on top of the head and doesn't come anywhere near my ears. All my other headgear touches my earlobes and makes them sore.

All in all, I'm very happy with this mask. Despite hitting the sleeping pills (I'll use them to get thru the adjustment period with this mask) I feel mentally alert this morning and think I'm going to feel better than I have in a long time. I did flip flop around a lot last night, but I expected that from my first night with a new mask, so I'm hoping once I adjust I'll sleep/feel even better.

Pugsy

Re: Used Tap Pap for first time last night

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:27 am

I think that the Tap Pap nasal pillows seem to run smaller when compared to the other nasal pillow masks but then they are made differently. I can use XSmall or Small in pretty much any of the other nasal pillow masks but I need the medium in the Tap Pap.
I think that this is likely in part to the fact that the Tap Pap pillow doesn't have that billowy pillow part resting against the nostril to help with the seal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:53 am

I want to try the Tap Pap.
Pugsy I see your has Improved Stability Mouthpiece. Does that mean there is more than one version of the Tap Pap?
I guess there is no XL pillow for the Tap Pap either?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:33 am

No...there isn't an XLarge in the Tap Pap pillows...I think there is a market for it but no one asked me.

They changed the mouth guard well over a year ago to the new improved guard. It is included in all the mask packages now. I would image that you already are using it. You can see the old vs new here at this link. Just click on the side by side picture to see how they compare.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... roved.html

So no, there isn't another version of the Tap Pap. The first mouth guard (March 2013 release) was a bit thicker and covered the roof of the mouth more. A few months later the "new improved" mouth guard was released.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:26 am

The picture isn't that clear but I do get the idea.... thanks.

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:50 am

I had a similar version I think it was CPAP pro. same concept but the lower part of the mouth guard was hard plastic. I kept clinching my jaw on it and felt like I was breaking teeth.

Does the Tap Pap have an entire softer plastic for the entire mouth guard?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 am

chriscummings83 wrote:I had a similar version I think it was CPAP pro. same concept but the lower part of the mouth guard was hard plastic. I kept clinching my jaw on it and felt like I was breaking teeth.

The Tap Pap mouth guard is still a rigid plastic (very thin though) but very pliable when soft so that it molds to the teeth and there is zero need to clinch the jaw to hold it in place. I can open my mouth totally and the mouth guard doesn't slip off the upper teeth. Actually once the Tap Pap guard is in place I don't really feel it all that much between my teeth. It almost disappears.

I have never seen or used the CPAP Pro so I have nothing to compare to but in the big long Tap Pap review thread I know at least one user said he hated the CPAP Pro but loved the Tap Pap. There's not many people here who have used or tried the Pro to be able to offer a comparison.

All I can tell you is that the Tap Pap comes with free return insurance from cpap.com. If you hate it you can return it and get your money back and they will even send you a prepaid label for return shipping that you can print off.

chriscummings83

Post by chriscummings83 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:05 am

sorry, I clinch my jaw so I wear a mouth guard anyway. Just the CPAP pro lower material was solid plastic. My lower pointy teeth would feel the pain.

So with this one it seems i could mold it and my lower teeth would sink in just in case, so after it hardened they would have a place to go!!!!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 am

chriscummings83 wrote:So with this one it seems i could mold it and my lower teeth would sink in just in case, so after it hardened they would have a place to go!!!!!
Actually the molding part is on the top side. The bottom teeth area doesn't mold but the material is so thin it really isn't all that noticeable. It feels like both the top and bottom mold but the bottom doesn't.
From what I have seen of the Pro and a few others have said....the Pro was just bulkier so it had more of a presence in the mouth so greater chance to get in the way.
Again, since I have never actually seen one to compare to the Tap Pap I can't say for sure.

PartlyCloudy

Post by PartlyCloudy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 am

I boiled and fit the mouth piece yesterday. Like Pugsy, I can now open my mouth and it stays put. It was totally secure last night with no leaks. I have back issues so I flip and flop a lot and no leaks whatsoever no matter what position I was in. I can't say how much I love this thing so far!!

PartlyCloudy

Post by PartlyCloudy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 am

chriscummings83 wrote:I had a similar version I think it was CPAP pro. same concept but the lower part of the mouth guard was hard plastic. I kept clinching my jaw on it and felt like I was breaking teeth.

Aside from location (Tap Pap being on upper teeth vs. guard on lower) they pretty much feel identical to me. My bruxism guard is one custom made by my dentist if that helps.