My success on CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grassbasher

My success on CPAP

Post by grassbasher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Hello all. Im Gaz from Hampshire UK. I have been on CPAP now for 2.5 years and have to say it has changed my life in a positive way. I have worked hard to regain a decent level of fitness battling through exhaustion and fatigue, its not been easy but I got there! My journey started in November 2016 after diagnosis(severe AHI 30) and I took to CPAP with few problems, had some leak issues but these were minor. Throughout I have concentrated on how I feel day to day and not the science or numbers. Weightloss reduced my condition from severe to mild though still requiring therapy, no big deal as I sleep so well on it. I now work out every day doing lots of cardio HIIT training and also weights. I feel fantastic and am getting into good shape for an old man! I am so fortunate to have no other ailments(yet!). I have kept a very close eye on my neck size which is 16" down from 18.5" and it will be interesting to see what increased muscle mass has changed in regards to the OSA.
Recently I was asked to contribute a short account of my journey for the UK charity Hope2Sleep and if you wish you can read it following the link:
https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/sleep-apno ... -gary.html

I was told by many that this was not possible......bloody naysayers! Well as you can see it is and if just one life is changed then its worth every ounce of effort. I thought my life was coming to an end when in reality it has only just begun.

Julie

Re: My success on CPAP

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 am

Congratulations on turning things around!

Just a tip though - neck size matters internally, not an outside measurement, and everyone's ratio of airway tissue blockage will be different.

grassbasher

Post by grassbasher » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi yes I understand that. Keeping my neck under 17" is very important for me as my understanding is it adds pressure to the structure. Im sure this isn't the only variable but its working for me :D

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Gaz, what a wonderful story! I was going to suggest that you post it in the forum section on success stories for newbies, but I see Chicago Granny already took care of that!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

grassbasher

Post by grassbasher » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks. I haven't been involved in forums before so forgive my awkward stumbles :) My journey has been interesting to say the very least and bloody hard work at times. My story came about from an Instagram post and I feel honored to be featured. Lives will be changed :D