Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:31 pm

palerider wrote:
D.H. wrote:Palerider: I would only do that for your CPAP. This way, the water quality would match the attitude of your posts!

Crystal Clear

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 pm

D.H. wrote:It was not dry, I checked for that. I am discounting the first time that happened as it was dry. I did have this experience on prior machines when they were dry, but I didn't count that. BTW, I always get up at least one in the middle of the night and make a point of refilling.
On my last visit to my sleep Dr. he told me that if the humdifier tank emptied completely overnight that would indicate a lot of air leaks

Last edited by klm49 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:37 pm

klm49 wrote:
D.H. wrote:It was not dry, I checked for that. I am discounting the first time that happened as it was dry. I did have this experience on prior machines when they were dry, but I didn't count that. BTW, I always get up at least one in the middle of the night and make a point of refilling.
On my last visit to my sleep Dr. he told me that if the humidifier tank emptied completely overnight that would indicate a lot of leaks
I assume that you are referring to air leaks, not water leaks. I am not majorly leaking, according to the stats. I do have the humidification set to the absolute max that the machine can put out, so that might be part of what's going on. Also, my prescription is 13, so a higher pressure might also mean more evaporation.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 am

D.H. wrote:This smell is in a DreamStation CPAP. It was noticeable after potty breaks, especially when I turned on the preheat. After reading through the forum, I thoroughly cleaned the CPAP and changed the pollen filter. I especially washed the water tank.

Note that none of my previous CPAPs, including the very first one ever made with a built-in humidifier, ever had this issue.

The odor is greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated. I don't find it particularly bothersome, but I worry it might be unhealthy or that it might indicate a machine malfunction.
Yes, I have the same machine, same odor, and I don't like it. Started with it last April and it wasn't long before I noticed the burnt water odor most times when I first start breathing on it. DME blamed it on the mask or machine hose. So after hoses were replaced, same thing. Then DME agreed to exchange it for another new machine (still under warrantee). New one was okay at first but now the odor is there randomly. I will find the phone no. and complain to PR directly. Doubt I will get any satisfaction but they need to know. My insurance purchased my DreamStation after 3 mos so I'm stuck with it. I had originally asked my sleep Dr. for a ResMed machine because my friend (he's been on cpap for many yrs) told me that they're better quality machines. But the Dr. said they were all the same and wouldn't specify a particular brand on my prescription.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 am

Sylvia54 wrote:
Yes, I have the same machine, same odor, and I don't like it. Started with it last April and it wasn't long before I noticed the burnt water odor most times when I first start breathing on it. DME blamed it on the mask or machine hose. So after hoses were replaced, same thing. Then DME agreed to exchange it for another new machine (still under warrantee). New one was okay at first but now the odor is there randomly. I will find the phone no. and complain to PR directly. Doubt I will get any satisfaction but they need to know. My insurance purchased my DreamStation after 3 mos so I'm stuck with it. I had originally asked my sleep Dr. for a ResMed machine because my friend (he's been on cpap for many yrs) told me that they're better quality machines. But the Dr. said they were all the same and wouldn't specify a particular brand on my prescription.
Sylvia54,

Wash the water tank, the hose, and the reusable filter thoroughly and change the pollen filter. That greatly reduced the odor for me, though it wasn't completely eliminated.

I am not "bothered" by the odor, just worried that it may be indicative of a mechanical issue or in some way unhealthy to breathe.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 am

D.H. wrote:
Sylvia54 wrote:
Sylvia54,

Wash the water tank, the hose, and the reusable filter thoroughly and change the pollen filter. That greatly reduced the odor for me, though it wasn't completely eliminated.

I am not "bothered" by the odor, just worried that it may be indicative of a mechanical issue or in some way unhealthy to breathe.
Well that's just it, the fact the odor still comes through right after doing all that. I've searched the internet and did come across at least one recent conversation on this same thing. It might have been from apnea board.

D.H.

Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced; Hazard?

Post by D.H. » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:12 pm

If guess I should have asked if this smell is in some way unhealthy to breathe or is in any way a fire hazard. As I said, I am not "bothered" by the smell.

palerider

Re: Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced; Hazard?

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

D.H. wrote:If guess I should have asked if this smell is in some way unhealthy to breathe or is in any way a fire hazard.
we can only hope.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

I might expect an "off" smell if "someone" has used your humidifier tank as a bong.
Do you trust your roommate?
Oh, does your mother have glaucoma?
Better get her her OWN tank!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I might expect an "off" smell if "someone" has used your humidifier tank as a bong.
considering his posts....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lawr1000

Post by lawr1000 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I might expect an "off" smell if "someone" has used your humidifier tank as a bong.
Hippy Chick!

esel

Post by esel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:54 am

any quote or advice on how to do that, sounds like a good idea.

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:44 pm

esel wrote:
this fish makes my brain hurt.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:03 pm

esel wrote:
I wish I could. Of course my state is so bass-ackwards they refuse to allow pot
even for cancer patients or children with otherwise uncontrollable epilepsy.
No compassion here. If it ever comes here, my eye doctor knows the dosage.
That would be awesome. My glaucoma eye drops run over $500 for 75 days.

esel

Post by esel » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:35 pm

palerider wrote:
esel wrote:
this fish makes my brain hurt.
Lucky you, this fish has no brain. Can't hurt any more

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...