Now some help for my wife...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Esskay33

Now some help for my wife...

Post by Esskay33 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:20 am

So with some help from DME and a bunch from you folks, I am consistently getting AHI down to the 1-3 range, and sometimes less than 1.

I do OCCASIONALLY wake up with air shooting out my mouth, but through sleepyhead have determine this is for very short period a time or two a night. Sometimes it wakes me up, sometimes it doesn't. I'm open to counter arguments, but had decided it wasn't happening enough to address.

I also sometimes lean against my mask and apparently air shoots out the side.

Lastly, the "exit hole" (or whatever it is called) continuously shoots air.

These three things are waking up my lovely wife who is a light sleeper. Anyone have any experience elimination these issues?

my large leak numbers are usually 0%. So, I guess I am assuming these three things are not hugely effecting treatment, but now they are effecting my wife's sleep...any help would be great!

LSAT

Re: Now some help for my wife...

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:00 am

The easy answer is to turn in the opposite direction.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 am

The exit hole expels the co2 so you don't re-breathe it. You might try a hose management system to keep your hose from moving your mask.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 am

I think that exit hole is called a vent. Try sleeping on different sides of the bed.
My leaks sometimes wake up my husband. I told him to just wiggle my mask around a little to re set it, if I'm still sleeping.
Also, I've heard of building a pillow barrier between your air flow and her.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 am

Look at the mask in my profile. The venting holes on it diffuse the vented air so much that I pretty much have to have my hand about and inch away from the holes to feel them. My husband never complained before I switched to the P10 about the venting BUT when I made the switch he commented about how nice it was to never have the sold blast of air shooting on him. He noticed it but never complained (that's just him) but sure appreciated it when it went away.

Otherwise don't face the wife or put a pillow between you to block the air.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

exiii

Post by exiii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:11 am

I used that mask. I hated that mask for the reasons you mention and others. I'd go for a mask, like the one suggested, that diffuses the expelled air.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:34 am

Hi esskay33~~~

Sleeping habits and sleeping fantasies and sleeping partners are all so highly individualized that the chances that *my* solution will work for you is very slim but maybe you will be able to find something of value?

I reworked my whole 'sleep life' to incorporate cpap.

One (of several) changes I made involved creating not only ambient noise but ambient air movement with fans.
Now my little stream of air from my dreamwear mask is just mixed in with other air movement.

...it works well with my favorite fantasy of sleeping on my yacht.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Esskay33

Post by Esskay33 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:17 am

Hmmm, some great suggestions, thank you. I'll run them by my wife tonight.

In the P10 generally considered a good mask?

lawr1000

Post by lawr1000 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:46 am

The Airfit P10 is a popular mask around here. I'm still a newbie but the P10 is the only mask I been successful at using. Leaks that bother me are rare. Plus I can sleep on my side comfortably without causing leaks. The only nit I can think of is when I rotate to a different side the hose will twist up.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am

The P10 is considered really good by the people that like it and not so good by the people who tried it and didn't like it. It's the life of any mask. Not everyone is going to fall in love with you and some people will actually hate you.
It is a very popular mask and I am fairly safe in saying a lot more people love it than hate it.

For the vented air issue..hands down the best I have ever tried. There's a couple of F & P masks that use a different diffuser system but I haven't ever used those masks to compare the venting of the air thing.

All masks have pros and cons...there's no 100% perfect mask out there that is going to be perfect for everyone and some of them won't work well for anyone it seems.
The thing something that might be a pro feature for one person might be a con feature for another.

The P10 headgear is pretty much next to nothing on the face and head....it's a pro and a con at the same time.
It's extremely light weight and easily adjusts (for the most part) to about any head....that's a pro
unfortunately it tends to sometimes slide up the back of the head ...that's a con.

Since one of my personal preferences is "not much on my face and head" I am willing to deal with a little stability issues if it wants to slide up the back of my head a little...not a deal breaker for me...doesn't happen often and it's easy to fix when it does. Now someone else might find this extremely annoying and it will be a deal breaker for them.
That's okay...not everyone has the same likes, dislikes, needs or preferences.
With time and experience you will soon learn what your needs and preferences are.

You already know one....get the vented air off the wife. It's a big one too.
The only con to the venting system on the P10...those mesh holes might get clogged up....so just make sure they stay clean.

It's definitely worth trying...and the only way to learn about your own needs and preferences is to try stuff.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.