problems with hdm z1

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robo2084

problems with hdm z1

Post by robo2084 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 am

I took the plunge and bought and HDM Z1 with auto pap. Unfortunately my first night with it was a disaster compared to the resmed airsense 10 I normally use. A couple of things struck me:

1) the apap seems horrendous. the machine just seems to arbitrarily increase pressure to very high levels. my resmed rarely goes above 9; the z1 seems to go as high as i let the maximum go. (also the qualitative feel of the pressure is higher; when my resmed is on 6 it is mucch more comfortable than the z1 on 6)

2) the epap is much less comfortable; the resmed gives me space for a full exhale whereas the z1 seems to keep much more pressure

I was somewhat more annoyed by 1 than 2.

I'm assuming there's no solution to any of this?

I know people complain about the noise of this unit too- i was able to adapt to that part.

Julie

Re: problems with hdm z1

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am

Did you buy privately or through a DME with a prescripton?

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 am

I believe the Z1 has a trial period so you can try it and return it.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Sadly, I was dumb and bought through secondwindcpap.

Lesson learned! Hoping for better from the resmed mini.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:22 pm

They are a terrific place to deal with! Talk to them and see what they say.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm

robo2084 wrote: Lesson learned! Hoping for better from the resmed mini.
If you are still under the impression a small cpap, is as good as a large one, lesson NOT learned. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:27 pm

robo2084 wrote:Sadly, I was dumb and bought through secondwindcpap.
Buying from secondwind was not dumb. They will take it back. Send them the link to this thread.

The dumb part was buying that little machine. Anything that says "As seen on TV!" is questionable.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:34 pm

well, I figured a medical device, being FDA approved, has to go through some level of testing. I was assuming that the therapeutic value of the device would be as good as the larger ones, at the expense of some convenience (humidity, noise).

Really, though, I do suspect that the problem with the Z1 is as much software as hardware. That is, if one could put the Resmed algorithms into the Z1 it would be a much better device. This is why I still have some hope for the Resmed Mini. I'm certainly not willing to write the mini off before it even hits the market...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:37 pm

The FDA is not immune to corruption.
They have passed all kinds of snake oil--apparently the price was met.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I am willing to suffer a BIT for something I can travel with. I am tempted to try it on CPAP mode at a lower fixed pressure....

Noel-sacre

Post by Noel-sacre » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:32 pm

The one I have wont start on the battery sometimes, even when the battery is fully charged, it has done it once on the 240v supply.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:45 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:37 pm
The FDA is not immune to corruption.
They have passed all kinds of snake oil--apparently the price was met.
So has the WHO, it seems no one is immune to corruption. Lies are for sale from all. :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:06 am

robo2084 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 am
I took the plunge and bought and HDM Z1 with auto pap. Unfortunately my first night with it was a disaster compared to the resmed airsense 10 I normally use. A couple of things struck me:

1) the apap seems horrendous. the machine just seems to arbitrarily increase pressure to very high levels. my resmed rarely goes above 9; the z1 seems to go as high as i let the maximum go. (also the qualitative feel of the pressure is higher; when my resmed is on 6 it is mucch more comfortable than the z1 on 6)

2) the epap is much less comfortable; the resmed gives me space for a full exhale whereas the z1 seems to keep much more pressure

I was somewhat more annoyed by 1 than 2.

I'm assuming there's no solution to any of this?

I know people complain about the noise of this unit too- i was able to adapt to that part.
I have a Z1 also. Yes, the "pressure" feels a bit different. Yet I have not found mine to seem to increase pressure to a level that seems much higher than my 10 Autoset. The algorithms are certainly not the same as the larger machines. I would say the Z1 doesn't react nearly as fast as my home unit. It takes some getting used to.

I turned my epap down to 1. Couldn't stand the noise the higher levels made. So it is harder to exhale with, but that too just takes some time to get used to. One thing I can tell you is that the Z1 does seem to learn your breathing and will adapt to breathing cycles. But certainly not on the first night. Takes a few days for it to learn you, and you to learn it.

Mine serves well enough. I will be taking it with me for 7 days next week. Exactly what it is for. But for a home unit, it is NOT nearly as comfortable!
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 am

realshelby wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:06 am
the Z1 does seem to learn your breathing
There is no learning capability built into the Z1.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:58 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 am
realshelby wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:06 am
the Z1 does seem to learn your breathing
There is no learning capability built into the Z1.
Like I said in my post, you have to learn it and it does learn you. While it may be more "you" than it learning, there is a difference.

Z-Breathe® Comfort Feature

One of the greatest issues CPAP users complain about is the difficulty in exhaling against the pressure exerted by the CPAP machine. Z-Breathe is a proprietary comfort feature designed to minimize the typical pressure swings due to the spikes in pressure during exhalation and drops in pressure during inhalation to deliver a more comfortable therapy. Z-Breathe has 3 settings so you can set it to suit your own personal needs.

Of course the different settings make a difference, but the algorithms seem to adjust to the user as well.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)