Nasal Pillows for Mouth Breathers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robo2084

Re: Nasal Pillows for Mouth Breathers

Post by robo2084 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am

Would echo what many others have said. I actually suffer from some nasal congestion and was convinced I couldn't do the nasal breathing, but I trained myself to do so successfully. One of the nice (or not so nice things) about using the nasal pillows are that if you do try to breath through your mouth, the feeling is quite unpleasant. So there is a negative reinforcement built in.

Also, I have found that using the humidifying CPAP has actually reduced my nasal congestion, presumably by providing extra moisture to my nose!

Finally, I would agree that the nasal pillow is by far the most comfortable way to use CPAP if you can do it. Like others, I barely notice it now. ANd it's actually become like a bit of a security blanket to me (it's part of the sleeping routine, so if I don't have it I feel odd).

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm hoping the P10 works for you, but if not you could perhaps try the Tap Pap.

I had mouth breathing issues using nasal pillows. However with the Tap pap there was something about the mouth piece that helped me stop mouth breathing. Might work for you too.

I also find it very comfortable as it has nothing that touches your face and no head straps.

Helpful Guest :)

Post by Helpful Guest :) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Gerald? wrote:I had mouth breathing issues using nasal pillows. However with the Tap pap there was something about the mouth piece that helped me stop mouth breathing.
Much like sleeping with a sporting mouth guard - teeth protector in your mouth.