Trouble breathing with cpap (first time user)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jim22

Re: Trouble breathing with cpap (first time user)

Post by jim22 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 pm

There should be a vent on the mask that should be venting a large flow of air while the machine is running. This is to keep you from rebreathing CO2. It's important not to block the vent. Does that all seem to be working?
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Another thing. Please make sure that the filter is inserted correctly and is clean.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm

C02 vent - A small patch of tiny holes... it may be right around where the mask meets the hose, or somewhere else on the mask itself and should never be blocked.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am

D.H. wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:12 pm
D.H. wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm
jamaster14 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:27 pm
Which full face mask are you using?

Take the mask off the hose so that the hose isn't attached. Put the mask on and try breathing with it without the hose and with the air just moving through the now open hole where the hose attaches. How does it feel with no resistance to speak of?

You might be more comfortable starting the pressure at 9 cm....it's rare but a few people aren't comfortable with 8 cm starting point.
It is of course more common with the 4 to 6 starting pressures but I know a few people who need 9 or 10 to feel like enough air is moving.

Alternately...something else to try....Flex exhale relief...turn it on and try 2 or 3 as the setting and see if that helps or not.
With the machine turned off and the mask on i can breath ok. i could easily fall asleep just with the mask on and machine off. its comfortable and i breath freely and normall. i tried setting the machine to 9, 10, 11, 12. its a little better at 12 but still oxygen deprived and need to constantly take extremely deep breaths to not have to take the mask off.

im not sure where the setting is for flex exhale relief, i dont see that anywhere

the flex was already on and set to 3. 1 and 2 did not seem to help... although i feel like this could be part of the issue as i feel like im breathing in the air i exhale and its all warm air which doesnt help.
Try disabling the exhale relief totally. See if that works.
I'll second this one, the Exhale relief for mine kicks in before I'm done breathing in (I assume because my breath in becomes too low to detect) and then the lower pressure seems to signal my brain to exhale... and this shortens my breath making me feel like I'm hypoventilating.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:49 pm

tlohse wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:47 pm
Have you tried using the humidifier in your cpap with distilled water? I know that that sometimes helps with nose issues.
I am using distilled water.

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:51 pm

jim22 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 pm
There should be a vent on the mask that should be venting a large flow of air while the machine is running. This is to keep you from rebreathing CO2. It's important not to block the vent. Does that all seem to be working?
Jim
Yes that is definitely working. and the vent is not obstructed. but it takes a few moments for the warm exhaled air to leave. you really need to breath slow and long not to breath the CO2 air from what ive experienced, and breathe in only through your nose which for me is extremely difficult

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm
Another thing. Please make sure that the filter is inserted correctly and is clean.
Filter is clean/brand new, and in properly from what i can tell

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Julie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm
C02 vent - A small patch of tiny holes... it may be right around where the mask meets the hose, or somewhere else on the mask itself and should never be blocked.
it is not blocked. and the hose for these masks connects on the drown. there is no obstruction

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm

So i set the min to 12. this made it breathable, but still a struggle. i was able to sleep for 2-3 hours but woke up gasping for air and ditched the mask for the rest of the night. woke up again at 4:30 am. put the mask on for 30-40 minutes but couldnt fall asleep.

i will try exhale off (although this seems the opposite of my issue, the exhale not clearing fast enough) and setting max to 20 (is this safe? perscription said 8 to 12)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 pm

jamaster14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm
So i set the min to 12. this made it breathable, but still a struggle. i was able to sleep for 2-3 hours but woke up gasping for air and ditched the mask for the rest of the night. woke up again at 4:30 am. put the mask on for 30-40 minutes but couldnt fall asleep.

i will try exhale off (although this seems the opposite of my issue, the exhale not clearing fast enough) and setting max to 20 (is this safe? perscription said 8 to 12)
The point is that there's no set answer for everybody. You've got to try every possibility until one works for you.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Another thing to check for. You said that the max is at 20. When you feel that you can't breathe, is the machine actually putting out 20. You can determine that by leaving the machine on and turning the dial in either direction. The pressure being delivered at any given moment will display in the front window.

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:23 pm

D.H. wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 pm
Another thing to check for. You said that the max is at 20. When you feel that you can't breathe, is the machine actually putting out 20. You can determine that by leaving the machine on and turning the dial in either direction. The pressure being delivered at any given moment will display in the front window.
i have not moved it past 12. and it is displaying 12. the max it will allow me to go on the max is 20, but i have not gone that high

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Perhaps this is obvious, but are you sure you need the full face mask? Clearly a nasal mask is likely to be easier to adjust to, and I personally think that the ResMed nasal pillows are extremely comfortable. But you have to be a nose breather. (I was convinced I was a mouth breather till I tried the nasal pillows and had no problem training myself to breath through nose all night.)

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:08 pm

If the air seems to hot, perhaps the heat setting is too high? Or you could always try filling the tank with cooler water.

jamaster14

Post by jamaster14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:28 pm

robo2084 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 pm
Perhaps this is obvious, but are you sure you need the full face mask? Clearly a nasal mask is likely to be easier to adjust to, and I personally think that the ResMed nasal pillows are extremely comfortable. But you have to be a nose breather. (I was convinced I was a mouth breather till I tried the nasal pillows and had no problem training myself to breath through nose all night.)
i have a nasal mask and can try it, but im 99.9% sure im a mouth breather and a heavy one. i cant breath with the chin strap. so id have to use nasal no chin strap, which im not sure would work?