Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:00 am

This smell is in a DreamStation CPAP. It was noticeable after potty breaks, especially when I turned on the preheat. After reading through the forum, I thoroughly cleaned the CPAP and changed the pollen filter. I especially washed the water tank.

Note that none of my previous CPAPs, including the very first one ever made with a built-in humidifier, ever had this issue.

The odor is greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated. I don't find it particularly bothersome, but I worry it might be unhealthy or that it might indicate a machine malfunction.

Julie

Re: Burning smell from CPAP - Greatly reduced

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:36 am

If the machine wasn't brand new to you, it means the previous owner smoked.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 am

D.H. wrote:This smell is in a DreamStation CPAP. It was noticeable after potty breaks, especially when I turned on the preheat. After reading through the forum, I thoroughly cleaned the CPAP and changed the pollen filter. I especially washed the water tank.

Note that none of my previous CPAPs, including the very first one ever made with a built-in humidifier, ever had this issue.

The odor is greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated. I don't find it particularly bothersome, but I worry it might be unhealthy or that it might indicate a machine malfunction.
D.H., I have a Dreamstation which was brand new when I got it and several times I have have noticed an unusual smell that to me seems similar to sugar caramelizing or burning. First time I smelled it a couple of months ago it was stronger than it is now. Occasionally I still smell it faintly and think it may be making it when the humidifier runs dry.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:32 am

Julie wrote:If the machine wasn't brand new to you, it means the previous owner smoked.
It never occurred to me that there might have been a previous owner, especially not a smoker. It did not smell like a tobacco odor through. I'm pretty sure it was the impurities in the water. I also started to dump the water into the sink or toilet instead of back into the bottle.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:35 am

klm49 wrote:
D.H. wrote:This smell is in a DreamStation CPAP. It was noticeable after potty breaks, especially when I turned on the preheat. After reading through the forum, I thoroughly cleaned the CPAP and changed the pollen filter. I especially washed the water tank.

D.H., I have a Dreamstation which was brand new when I got it and several times I have have noticed an unusual smell that to me seems similar to sugar caramelizing or burning. First time I smelled it a couple of months ago it was stronger than it is now. Occasionally I still smell it faintly and think it may be making it when the humidifier runs dry.
It was not dry, I checked for that. I am discounting the first time that happened as it was dry. I did have this experience on prior machines when they were dry, but I didn't count that. BTW, I always get up at least one in the middle of the night and make a point of refilling.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 am

D.H. wrote:
klm49 wrote:

It was not dry, I checked for that. I am discounting the first time that happened as it was dry. I did have this experience on prior machines when they were dry, but I didn't count that. BTW, I always get up at least one in the middle of the night and make a point of refilling.
You must live in the Sahara Desert if you have to refill your humidifier during the night. Any humidifier should hold enough water for the entire night...or even several nights if you have the setting on a low number

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 am

Dunderhead said, " . . . I also started to dump the water into the sink or toilet instead of back into the bottle. . . . "

You were doing WHAT?
Pouring distilled water back into the original bottle---just as I suspected, DunderHead.
Who does that, anyway? Dumb, dumb, DUMB!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:51 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Dunderhead said, " . . . I also started to dump the water into the sink or toilet instead of back into the bottle. . . . "

You were doing WHAT?
Pouring distilled water back into the original bottle---just as I suspected, DunderHead.
dunderheads, it seems

maybe this warrants a "you might be a dunderhead if" list, to start:

you might be a dunderhead if you... pour your left over distilled water back into the jug.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:29 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Dunderhead said, " . . . I also started to dump the water into the sink or toilet instead of back into the bottle. . . . "

You were doing WHAT?

We all know how costly distilled water is, and with the shortage of water in California to make it out of, he's just trying to be responsible. As always. he doesn't have a clue, it surprises me he's not refilling it from the toilet. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 am

Goofproof wrote:

You were doing WHAT?

We all know how costly distilled water is, and with the shortage of water in California to make it out of, he's just trying to be responsible. As always. he doesn't have a clue, it surprises me he's not refilling it from the toilet. Jim
he may be, 'course, with him, it'd be before flushing...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am

palerider wrote:

You were doing WHAT?
dunderheads, it seems

you might be a dunderhead if you... pour your left over distilled water back into the jug.
To much effort, we would have to go back from his first post and list them all, way too much wasted time.... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 am

Goofproof wrote:
palerider wrote:

You were doing WHAT?
dunderheads, it seems

To much effort, we would have to go back from his first post and list them all, way too much wasted time.... Jim
indeed, the amount of useless and utterly stupid posts that've spewed from that ID in such a short time is simply mind boggling, certainly a situation of quantity over quality.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:46 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:

You were doing WHAT?

he may be, 'course, with him, it'd be before flushing...
Palerider: I would only do that for your CPAP. This way, the water quality would match the attitude of your posts!

Last edited by D.H. on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm

LSAT wrote: You must live in the Sahara Desert if you have to refill your humidifier during the night. Any humidifier should hold enough water for the entire night...or even several nights if you have the setting on a low number
I have the humidity and the heated hose set to the max. This water chamber seems not to be any bigger than the ones in my prior machines (this is machine #4). Yet with a heated hose it can deliver more humidity, so I really don't find it surprising that it doesn't last the whole night.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:07 pm

D.H. wrote:Palerider: I would only do that for your CPAP. This way, the water quality would match the attitude of your posts!
I seriously doubt you'd be able to *find* my cpap.