Do I need a baseline?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mike44

Do I need a baseline?

Post by Mike44 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 am

First time caller, longtime listener.

Hi everyone. This is a great forum, I have learned a lot.

First night with a Cpap device last night (DreamStation Auto). Tolerated it better than I expected and the reported AHI was better than expected (SleepyHead). Without getting into the details of that, it does bring up an area I'm confused about. It's not clear to me how to separate out the reporting function of my device vs. the therapy function. Acknowledging that one day of data doesn't mean a lot, the question becomes: Is the reported low'ish AHI an early indication that my apnea is not too bad, or is it an indication that the Cpap device was working great in it's therapy function during that first night, masked my true numbers and, without it, my AHI would be much higher?

I.E., don't I need a baseline to separate this out? Perhaps do a run with minimal pressures that will probably not help, so I can see what worst case is? Surprised that this hasn't come up before - probably proves I'm missing something...

-- Mike

SleepDisturbed

Re: Do I need a baseline?

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 am

I'm not sure I understand your post completely, but I will do my best here --

My point of view is that a CPAP machine is not a diagnostic tool, it is a therapy device. The data recording functions are to try and track the effectiveness of the therapy.

It sounds like you have not had a sleep study. If that is the case, I would recommend that you get one as that will provide the 'baseline study' that you are asking for. That will tell you a lot of things, like the severity of your condition and what type of apnea you have -- different types for example need different types of machines.

Good luck!

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

lawr1000

Post by lawr1000 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 am

PAP machines are not designed to monitor they provide therapy. So even with low pressures you are getting some form of therapy. Most consider a sleep study as their baseline.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 am

If you monitor with SH for a certain time, e.g. weeks, you'll get a baseline consensus of some kind, to what end I'm not sure though. However it can help you to set your low pressure if you don't have a scripted setting (and so often they're 'just' the default low of 4 anyhow, as doctors think autos are magic and can address any event, no matter how high, in time to stop it (or stop follow ups) from 4, which is not the case of course. But if you see that you rarely go below e.g. 7 or 8, then you could set your low pressure at 7 and the high one at e.g. 15 (or leave it at 20).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am

Mike44 wrote:Is the reported low'ish AHI an early indication that my apnea is not too bad, or is it an indication that the Cpap device was working great in it's therapy function during that first night, masked my true numbers and, without it, my AHI would be much higher?
Without the machine your AHI would be higher. It's only reporting the events that it couldn't prevent. It's not reporting everything that might have happened..only stuff that it could stop or prevent from happening.

My AHI is around 50ish without cpap. With cpap it's usually under 1.0.

Not sure what you mean "do I need a baseline" ....are you saying you don't have a sleep study result to use as your baseline?
Are you self diagnosing and self treating? What was last night's AHI?
Do you know about the software so you can see the breakdown of that AHI?
If not, you can read about it here. https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 am

Mike44 wrote:I.E., don't I need a baseline to separate this out? Perhaps do a run with minimal pressures that will probably not help, so I can see what worst case is? Surprised that this hasn't come up before - probably proves I'm missing something...
no, you don't, not unless you're OC about numbers or something. all that really matters is good results.

and it has come up before, you can use google or other search engines to search the forum, just put "site:cpaptalk.com" in the query, along with whatever you're trying to find.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 am

Mike44 wrote:First night with a Cpap device last night (DreamStation Auto). Tolerated it better than I expected and the reported AHI was better than expected (SleepyHead).
- What did your leak line look like?
- How do you feel today compared to when you weren't using CPAP?
- What are your pressure setting?
- How were your settings determined?
- What are your pressure relief settings, if any?

Mike44

Post by Mike44 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am

Thank you all. As I expected there are lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to take time the time to help - what a great resource.

The subject line is misleading - I should have come up with something else.

I'm sure I'll have more questions over time but it is true that I don't really "need" a baseline. As a nerdy engineer I am very impressed with the technology (and complexity) of modern Cpap devices, but there's also a philosophical aspect which interests me and which I thought might appeal to this group as well (or perhaps not).

It does seem to me that, inherent in all Cpap devices, there is, first, a "detection" function. That is, through very elaborate statistical interpretations of solely basic respiratory data over time, the devices are able to make good guesses at a wide variety of apnea and apnea-related phenomena and their severity.

Once this is determined, there is, it seems to me, a "therapy" function in which, given the identified instances the automation has identified above, very sophisticated algorithms are applied (often modified and improved by long term trends) to apply the proper amount of pressure predicted sufficient to keep the airway open but not so much as to unduly disturb sleep. As an aside, to the extent that long-term trends are recognized, some of "today's" therapy addresses "yesterday's" problem - which is OK - averages are useful and important.

These are 2 incredibly complex jobs but, it seems to me they are, almost by definition, independent. I see no reason why the existing "detection" function can't be easily separated from the "therapy" function (by simply nulling all therapy activity) to increase available diagnostic info. Well, I guess I can - the medical establishment, for reasons good and bad, probably doesn't want to release its stranglehold on such easily obtained diagnostic info (which I admit could be misused) as long as the alternative is a $5,000 sleep study.

All of this is just navel gazing, I suppose. The important thing, as has been pointed out, is the benefits.

-- Mike

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

Keep one thing in mind when trying to separate the two functions... whatever your therapy 'result' can differ from night to night for lots of reasons, even if only a bit, so again, trying to get exact #'s to make comparisons is quite iffy - we're not machines .

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:32 am

Mike44 wrote: I see no reason why the existing "detection" function can't be easily separated from the "therapy" function (by simply nulling all therapy activity) to increase available diagnostic info.
To get a feel for the severity of an individual's apnea, we often tell the person to set their machine at the lowest pressure setting (4.0 cm straight CPAP) and check their data the next morning. Of course, as you know, even at 4.0 cm some therapy is being delivered, but there is only a small subset of apnea patients who are treated effectively at 4.0.
Mike44 wrote:such easily obtained diagnostic info (which I admit could be misused) as long as the alternative is a $5,000 sleep study.
More and more, we are seeing home sleep studies being used for the simple cases of obstructive sleep apnea. Check out some of the pricing - https://www.google.com/search?q=home+sl ... e&ie=UTF-8

Then there is the titration study which is, in recent years, being done frequently by using the auto function of an APAP.

So, it would seem the sleep lab may, in the future, be used only for the more difficult cases. Your vision is being implemented step by step. Economics dictates it.

As an aside, you've overestimated the cost of a lab PSG by a factor of 2 or 3. The last one I saw was $1700.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 am

Julie wrote:Keep one thing in mind when trying to separate the two functions... whatever your therapy 'result' can differ from night to night for lots of reasons, even if only a bit, so again, trying to get exact #'s to make comparisons is quite iffy - we're not machines .
And we are made from defective parts, many of which are wearing out! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Mike44 wrote: It does seem to me that, inherent in all Cpap devices, there is, first, a "detection" function. That is, through very elaborate statistical interpretations of solely basic respiratory data over time, the devices are able to make good guesses at a wide variety of apnea and apnea-related phenomena and their severity.

Once this is determined, there is, it seems to me, a "therapy" function in which, given the identified instances the automation has identified above, very sophisticated algorithms are applied (often modified and improved by long term trends) to apply the proper amount of pressure predicted sufficient to keep the airway open but not so much as to unduly disturb sleep. As an aside, to the extent that long-term trends are recognized, some of "today's" therapy addresses "yesterday's" problem - which is OK - averages are useful and important.

These are 2 incredibly complex jobs but, it seems to me they are, almost by definition, independent. I see no reason why the existing "detection" function can't be easily separated from the "therapy" function (by simply nulling all therapy activity) to increase available diagnostic info. Well, I guess I can - the medical establishment, for reasons good and bad, probably doesn't want to release its stranglehold on such easily obtained diagnostic info (which I admit could be misused) as long as the alternative is a $5,000 sleep study.
no, not really.

go read this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629962/

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Julie wrote:Keep one thing in mind when trying to separate the two functions... whatever your therapy 'result' can differ from night to night for lots of reasons, even if only a bit, so again, trying to get exact #'s to make comparisons is quite iffy - we're not machines .
And we are made from defective parts, many of which are wearing out! Jim
...and our detective parts are often blamed by some on the use of CPAP, my hearing and eyesight has definitely got worse since I started therapy

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)