Airfit P10 Mask - Causing Skin Pigmentation Issues?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jagstyles

Airfit P10 Mask - Causing Skin Pigmentation Issues?

Post by jagstyles » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:24 am

Over the past year I've started developing darker pigmentation of the skin right where the straps on the Airfit P10 go on my face (towards the upper sides of the cheek bones). I'm going to be seeing a dermatologist but thought I'd ask the members here if anyone else has ever experienced this as a result of the CPAP mask? I find it interesting that it started happening shortly after starting to use the Airfit P10 mask.

Also, has anyone found a similar mask to the Airfit P10 but one that is more comfortable when sleeping on your side. Thankfully, I'm normally a back sleeper but it seems every mask I've tried really makes side sleeping an issue.

Thanks

khauser

Re: Airfit P10 Mask - Causing Skin Pigmentation Issues?

Post by khauser » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am

I have an unrelated to CPAP experience that may be helpful. I wear compression garments on my legs. The garments don't themselves cause discoloration, but because I am lucky (ha), they often do constrict right around the point where leg becomes foot, or just above, and that is painful. To combat this I created a kind of 'shim' that spread the pressure around. I have seen that area become darkened over time. In my case I have assumed the skin was not thrilled with this stress, and it was showing in this way. So when I can (and now while working at home) I avoid the garments and instead go back to the laborious process of wrapping my legs myself. The wrap is considerably more effective while being less traumatic, but it doesn't fit under pants....

Hopefully the dermatologist will be able to decide if its related to pressure spots, and if so you might consider alternate masks. I'll recommend the Bleep first, and if you can't make that work, something like the Tap Pap, both of which have no headgear.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 am

I used the P10 for probably over 3 years and never had any skin pigmentation changes but then I did use strap covers from Padacheek.com because I didn't like the dents that the straps left on my cheek for half a day. :lol:

Now I am a side sleeper and never had a problem with the P10 on my side or with the tossing and turning I did which is a lot because of back pain issues.

You might look at the mask I currently use (see my profile and link to the mask) now and have for a year and a half.....no straps at all and again...lots of tossing and turning.

You might also look at some sort of hose management system to use to help you be able to sleep on your side even with the P10. Holds the hose up out of the way so it doesn't tug on things so much when we move around.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:36 pm

I am getting those dark spots on my face, especially cheeks, too. I think it is more to do with my age. I just started using some fancy miracle spot remover cream, so we'll wait and see what happens. Is your dark skin exactly where the straps go? Mine are all over.

merumeru

Post by merumeru » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 am

Hello, I seem to be having the same issue.

I've been using the Airfit P10 for 1 year now. I'm in my mid thirties and I didn't have any pigmentation in my skin before that.

I usually sleep on my left side and this is the side more affected. It's exactly where the strap touches my cheeks, there's also a bit on the right side. The skin also feels like it's half a millimeter "deeper" than the rest of the skin of my face like as if the mask pushed it closer to the bone. I've been trying to use some folded paper in between the strap and my face to sleep, it's a bit uncomfortable but I'm hoping it will spread the tension better. Also, I've trying the best I can to not sleep on my side.

Anyone has a solution for that? I like the mask, the strap and pressure usually don't bother me but I would like not to have these spots on my face and I'm hoping there's a way to make them go away.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:58 am

merumeru wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 am
I've been trying to use some folded paper in between the strap and my face to sleep, it's a bit uncomfortable but I'm hoping it will spread the tension better. Also, I've trying the best I can to not sleep on my side.

Anyone has a solution for that? I like the mask, the strap and pressure usually don't bother me but I would like not to have these spots on my face and I'm hoping there's a way to make them go away.

Solution ....strap pads.

https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/ ... airfit-p10

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Her fleece liners (Padacheek) are very soft, and can be washed and reused for months.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:46 pm

I am going to be the third person to suggest trying the Bleep.

I did not have pigmentation issues with the straps across my face...I developed something like a rash or a form of acne across my left cheek where the straps/headgear went across my face! (I found out how vain I really am! :shock: as if the strap marks weren't enough!) I guess I sleep more on the left side, so there was more rubbing on that cheek. Once I started using the Bleep, it cleared up and my skin is smooth and clear again!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

merumeru

Post by merumeru » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 am

I would like to try the Bleep but I'm paying all my CPAP related stuff from my own pocket and the ports being a one use only would make it very expensive to me.

Also, apparently there's no official reseller in Australia which makes me to have to import from USA which also ends up being more difficult than I would like.

I'm trying the fleece liners but to not much success so far. I'll keep trying and I'll try to get a medical appointment to see if there's anything else I can do about it.