Phillips - Mask free solution for positional OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
djams

Phillips - Mask free solution for positional OSA

Post by djams » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:32 pm

This showed up on my FB feed. Thought I'd drop a link here as I've seen no discussion here. Overview only.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-e/hs/slee ... lunoa.html

Pugsy

Re: Phillips - Mask free solution for positional OSA

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Hmmmm. $700 bucks. I looked because I want something to keep me off my back because when I get on my back it hurts worse than usual and that wakes me up. My OSA is REM dependent and severe no matter what position so not a good candidate for it in that regard but just for keeping me off my back so my back doesn't hurt and wake me up so much...I would be will to try it for that but not a $700.
Don't have that much spare cash laying around.

If anyone gets one and doesn't like it and wants to donate it to the donations box....by all means send it my way. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 pm
Hmmmm. $700 bucks. I looked because I want something to keep me off my back because when I get on my back it hurts worse than usual and that wakes me up. My OSA is REM dependent and severe no matter what position so not a good candidate for it in that regard but just for keeping me off my back so my back doesn't hurt and wake me up so much...I would be will to try it for that but not a $700.
Don't have that much spare cash laying around.

If anyone gets one and doesn't like it and wants to donate it to the donations box....by all means send it my way. :lol:
So, this thing annoys you into turning on your side if you end up on your back...

It's been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cem1VvBbeeA

(and much more cutely)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm
So, this thing annoys you into turning on your side if you end up on your back...
From what I read about what it does...not suppose to annoy you enough to wake up and turn over. Start out with some sort of low response thing and work up to stronger so the body gets used to it and not as likely to cause a sleep disturbance.
At least that's the theory behind it from what little bit I read.

You laugh about the cute robot but if it would work ....and not wake me up....I would try it. :lol: :lol:
I am that desperate for relief from the back pain. Pain pills wear off after about 4 hours and that's when I start seeing all the arousal breathing crap on my flow rate graphs...and that's when I wake up on my back and hurting so bad that I can barely manage to turn over onto my side and pray the shoulder doesn't start acting up again. Crap...it's hell getting old and falling apart and not able to get decent sleep.
I get some help when I use the king size buckwheat pillow as a back stop but when hubby is home I don't have room for that big pillow and him...and when I lay on one side only all night then that shoulder tells me that I shouldn't do that all night. :lol: I need to be able to easily use both sides. I am really the classic princess and the pea. :lol:

I need a morphine drip for bedtime use only but I can't get anyone to give me one. Don't understand why.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 pm
palerider wrote:
From what I read about what it does...not suppose to annoy you enough to wake up and turn over. Start out with some sort of low response thing and work up to stronger so the body gets used to it and not as likely to cause a sleep disturbance.
At least that's the theory behind it from what little bit I read.

You laugh about the cute robot but if it would work ....and not wake me up....I would try it. :lol: :lol:
The only reason I'm not a fan of the robot teddy bear is that it disturbs your sleep to get you to turn over.

If it's just for snoring/apnea, then I don't think it's the best way to achieve better sleep.

If it's to keep you from being in a position that kills your back... that's another story :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 pm
If it's to keep you from being in a position that kills your back... that's another story :)
The only reason I even looked was the back pain stuff. I am perfectly content to use my machine...wish I didn't have to but I do.
My REM dependent OSA gives me no choice so I won't fight it.
I was actually thinking of simply using both......and I would try it if it wasn't so expensive but there's no money available in the kitty for that experiment. Maybe if I win the lottery or something.

I am going to bed. Someone gave me a migraine. :lol:

djams

Post by djams » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:43 am

palerider wrote:
It's been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cem1VvBbeeA

(and much more cutely)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HuffDog

Post by HuffDog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Speaking of trying to stay off our backs...

I spent the better part of 45 years sleeping on my back, or at least mostly. Is it possible to train ourselves to become side sleepers? Or is it a lost cause? My pulmonologist says that we all try to revert back to our "normal" sleep positions no matter what.

For the record I've been using the old tennis ball sewn into the back of a tshirt trick for about 6 months now. Can't remember the last time I was woken by it jabbing me in the back. But because my apnea sucks while supine, I haven't tried sleeping without yet.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 pm

HuffDog wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:01 pm
Is it possible to train ourselves to become side sleepers? Or is it a lost cause? My pulmonologist says that we all try to revert back to our "normal" sleep positions no matter what.
I suppose anything is possible if a person tries hard enough and gets lucky but I haven't been able to do it yet and I have been trying for well over 5 years now because the back stuff has gotten so bad the last few years.

Woke up this morning...flat on my back hurting like hell. :lol: :lol: Sometime during the night the 100 lb buckwheat pillow which I use as a wall to keep me on my side (yeah....I know a bit of an exaggeration but that is a king size buckwheat pillow stuff to the max and it's heavy) had been shoved off onto the floor sometime during the night and I don't remember doing it.
Other times I wake up on my back and the pillow is still in place but I have moved over to the other side of the bed. :lol:

I tend to think some lifelong habits are darned near impossible to break. Your doc may be right.

HuffDog

Post by HuffDog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 pm

I suppose anything is possible if a person tries hard enough and gets lucky but I haven't been able to do it yet and I have been trying for well over 5 years now because the back stuff has gotten so bad the last few years.

Woke up this morning...flat on my back hurting like hell. :lol: :lol: Sometime during the night the 100 lb buckwheat pillow which I use as a wall to keep me on my side (yeah....I know a bit of an exaggeration but that is a king size buckwheat pillow stuff to the max and it's heavy) had been shoved off onto the floor sometime during the night and I don't remember doing it.
Other times I wake up on my back and the pillow is still in place but I have moved over to the other side of the bed. :lol:

I tend to think some lifelong habits are darned near impossible to break. Your doc may be right.
Placing pillows behind my back never worked either :cry:

I have a buckwheat pillow that I've tried to use off and on. It works ok for head support, but I just can't get 100% comfortable with it. Being able to form it how I want is nice though.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm

HuffDog wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm
Pugsy wrote:

Placing pillows behind my back never worked either :cry:

I have a buckwheat pillow that I've tried to use off and on. It works ok for head support, but I just can't get 100% comfortable with it. Being able to form it how I want is nice though.

I have been using a buckwheat hull pillow (standard size) for many many years for my neck issues. I used one long before I started cpap.
I love it. I can make it fit my neck perfect. That's what gave me the idea to use it for helping me stay on my side because it's less likely to get moved out from against me....so I got a massive king size hoping the bulk and weight would help it stay put...sometimes it works and sometimes the little devils on my shoulders toss it in the floor.. Still better than using nothing though.

Been toying with looking to get a long sort of skinny version so it doesn't take up half the bed. Just haven't found one tall enough to suit me at a price to suit the wallet.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:37 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm

I've worn the NightBalance Lunoa for five nights now.

Saw it in a news feed three weeks ago, noticed it was on sale at most of the online vendors, and also noticed that I still feel wiped out after nights where my machine spends more time at higher pressures.
My sleep doc got me worked in quickly and sent a prescription, although I'm using the Lunoa in conjunction with CPAP and not by itself. He wants to evaluate me in three months to see how it's going and whether or not the Lunoa alone may provide sufficient therapy.

It's way too early to arrive at conclusions about its effectiveness, but I do like the way it gently alerts me to turn to my side without waking me up so much that I can't fall back asleep easily. It's definitely more comfortable than any sleep trainer that I've worn on my back. Based on the data that's been measured so far (by both the Lunoa and my CPAP machine), it looks like I have significantly fewer AHI's, lower leak levels, and lower CPAP pressures when I'm my side. Time will tell if this device effectively keeps me there.

I definitely feel more rested and have fewer sinus issues after nights where my CPAP pressures stay low, and I do like that the Lunoa is helping with that.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Very interesting.

I almost always sleep on my side, deliberately for the reason that NightBalance exists.

It is claimed to help some people not everyone, I don't know if I am susceptible.

Sleeping on side complicates mask choice - over the head is best, such as Phillips excellent DreamSleep concept, I have PAPillow too..

Some people have sewn a tennis ball into the back of their nightware to force not not sleeping on back.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm
HuffDog wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

I have been using a buckwheat hull pillow (standard size) for many many years for my neck issues.
Been toying with looking to get a long sort of skinny version so it doesn't take up half the bed. Just haven't found one tall enough to suit me at a price to suit the wallet.
I've got one good sized buckwheat hull pillow behind my back that keeps me mostly on my side, and another one that's buckwheat hull + foam for my head/neck that works well, is a little softer and less noisy.

I've considered a buckwheat hull mattress - I read a blog or something a few years back where someone made one out of a bunch of sacks of buckwheat hull. I'm getting a new mattress in the next week or so. If that's a fail I may take the buckwheat hull mattress plunge :)

4betterO2

Post by 4betterO2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:04 am

Pugsy wrote:
HuffDog wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:01 pm
Is it possible to train ourselves to become side sleepers?
I suppose anything is possible if a person tries hard enough and gets lucky [...]
I tend to think some lifelong habits are darned near impossible to break.
It may be difficult to sleep on the side without full support, and trying to keep at a 90 degrees angle. At a time when I needed to change and sleep on the side, I slept for a while on a sofa. The back of the sofa is a bit bent backwards from vertical, so it allowed me to kind of rest against it in a less stringent angle, and breathe better than with the "under-side" totally under and "flat", and I supported the limbs on the "top-side" side of my body with very thick pillows under my elbows and my knees, further freeing my breathing as well as no weight was put then, on the "on-top" side of my chest . Unfortunately, changing sides is too difficult in this setup; to relieve the position one can slide down a bit more towards horizontal for a while, or instead, try folding over to be at an angle more towards the prone position for a while. But generally otherwise, it might help some people break the habit of sleeping on the side (?)
PR Dreamstation BiPap ASV, WISP nasal mask with magnets