Help! CPAP is breaking but no options!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krr643500

Help! CPAP is breaking but no options!

Post by krr643500 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:31 am

Model: ResMed Airsense 10
Current pressure: 14
Full Face mask (unsure of name)

I am in need of serious advice! I have had my AS 10 for nearly four years. I am still 15 months away from my eligibility for a new machine. Problem is my current machine is slowly breaking down. It started about a year ago with a high pitch whine when using the humidifier. The whine kept me awake at night so I had to stop using it. At the time I contacted my DME provider and was told that I could send it out for repair but they had no loner devices due to a nationwide CPAP shortage. Since I cannot be without a device I was forced to keep using it despite the problem. Now, over a year later, more problems have begun. The machine is leaking air from the body of it and the sound is clearly audible. In addition I am now getting a chemical or metallic smell coming through the air hose. These new problems have made it impossible to sleep. Here’s my question: WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? I need either a new unit or a repair for my current one but in order to do that I need a replacement which are still unavailable. If I don’t get it fixed it’s going to completely die and I won’t have one but if I send it out for repair I won’t have one to use because there are no loner devices and if they can’t fix it and I’m entitled to a new one there aren’t any available and I STILL won’t have one! I’m really stressed out about this and would appreciate any advice on how to navigate this situation.

KR

rcobourn

Re: Help! CPAP is breaking but no options!

Post by rcobourn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:11 am

krr643500 wrote:Model: ResMed Airsense 10
Current pressure: 14
Full Face mask (unsure of name)

I am in need of serious advice! I have had my AS 10 for nearly four years. I am still 15 months away from my eligibility for a new machine. Problem is my current machine is slowly breaking down. It started about a year ago with a high pitch whine when using the humidifier. The whine kept me awake at night so I had to stop using it. At the time I contacted my DME provider and was told that I could send it out for repair but they had no loner devices due to a nationwide CPAP shortage. Since I cannot be without a device I was forced to keep using it despite the problem. Now, over a year later, more problems have begun. The machine is leaking air from the body of it and the sound is clearly audible. In addition I am now getting a chemical or metallic smell coming through the air hose. These new problems have made it impossible to sleep. Here’s my question: WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? I need either a new unit or a repair for my current one but in order to do that I need a replacement which are still unavailable. If I don’t get it fixed it’s going to completely die and I won’t have one but if I send it out for repair I won’t have one to use because there are no loner devices and if they can’t fix it and I’m entitled to a new one there aren’t any available and I STILL won’t have one! I’m really stressed out about this and would appreciate any advice on how to navigate this situation.

KR
Get back in touch with your DME. I got the impression from mine that there has been some improvement in the supply situation, and obviously you are in a more desperate situation now.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:48 am

rcobourn wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:11 am
The machine is leaking air from the body of it and the sound is clearly audible.
The humidifier chamber may not be seated properly. Remove it. Make sure it is closed tightly. Reseat it properly.

If that doesn't help, follow rcobourn's advice.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 am

Also contact your insurance company yourself ...directly... and explain the situation and see if they can relax the 5 year rule.

Have you considered just buying a machine yourself? Maybe a slightly used machine?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DreamLady

Post by DreamLady » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:19 am

If you have your prescription, take a picture of it and send it to cpap.com. They have several options for payment over time. I've used Bread in the past, and it worked great. I was able to get a new machine (one that I wanted, not just what insurance would pay for). Interest rates weren't that bad, either.

If you don't have your prescription, get it. Ask for a copy from your DME. If they won't cooperate, get a script from your GP. I told mine what to say and he was very cooperative once he understood my problem was impacting my health.

I'm very fortunate that I have the wherewithal to provide my own supplies without messing with insurance. It sure has lowered my blood pressure. Insurance and Medicare are often "penny wise and pound foolish".

I also recommend that everyone get a new machine when offered even if you think you don't need one yet. You will always feel more secure if you keep a spare handy.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:29 am

DreamLady wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:19 am
You will always feel* more secure if you keep a spare handy.
*be

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:29 am

Peace of mind . . . . . . . PRICELESS!