Has anybody ever used the AC power on a aircraft to run a CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Has anybody ever used the AC power on a aircraft to run a CPAP?

Post by D.H. » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:05 am

It seems that while the voltage is 115 (well within range), the frequency is 400 hz (considerably outside the normal range). As far as I know, with includes the power sockets at the seats.

I'm not asking about airline rules, etc. I'm specifically asking if anybody has used (or attempted to use) these sockets, with which machine, and how did it go?

palerider

Re: Has anybody ever used the AC power on a aircraft to run a CPAP?

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 am

D.H. wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:05 am
It seems that while the voltage is 115 (well within range), the frequency is 400 hz (considerably outside the normal range). As far as I know, with includes the power sockets at the seats.

I'm not asking about airline rules, etc. I'm specifically asking if anybody has used (or attempted to use) these sockets, with which machine, and how did it go?
Modern switching power supplies don't care what they're fed, power wise, the first thing they do is rectify the incoming power to DC, then they do whatever else they want to do with it.

Yes, many people have used CPAP on planes, which you'd know if you would READ more and post LESS.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 am

The wide-bodies like a 777 have 60hz at the seat, but not every seat has an outlet.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm

And it is up to the CREW or the pilot to have the final say on what you can plug in.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

)
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm
And it is up to the CREW or the pilot to have the final say on what you can plug in.
And up to each plane as to how it's outfitted, basely another useless question (By A World Traveler), that can only be answered by who you buy your ticket from, but not likely then as you aren't buying a ticket for a certain plane. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 am

I have never used my S9 on a plane but the Resmed psu is rated to 400hz so would be fine

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 am

I am asking specifically if anybody has experience running A CPAP machine from aircraft power. I am not asking about airline rules (I would ask that of the airlines).

Although I've take many overnight flights, I never tried to use it onboard, thus far.

My power supply says that the input should be either 50 hz or 60 hz (you'll find one or the other of those in any hotel or residence world-wide). In many cases, the power on an aircraft is 400 hz. The consensus seems to be that you can use this power even though it exceeds that range by 667%! Hearing from somebody who used it with not issues and hearing from somebody who was unable to use it (despite permission), would be informative.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am

I don't fly.
My wings have been clipped.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

To answer D.H.'s thread title, considering the number of people that have flown in airplanes and still do, I would say they have used the 400 mhz power, if their XPAP supports 400 mhz in it's power brick. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 am

D.H. wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 am
I am asking specifically if anybody has experience running A CPAP machine from aircraft power. I am not asking about airline rules (I would ask that of the airlines).

Although I've take many overnight flights, I never tried to use it onboard, thus far.

My power supply says that the input should be either 50 hz or 60 hz (you'll find one or the other of those in any hotel or residence world-wide). In many cases, the power on an aircraft is 400 hz. The consensus seems to be that you can use this power even though it exceeds that range by 667%! Hearing from somebody who used it with not issues and hearing from somebody who was unable to use it (despite permission), would be informative.
In some people, it simply gallops

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am

Ok now I'm curious.
Its been a while since i have flown.
Is this 115vac@400hz supposed to be for passenger use or is this for flight crew?
What is the form factor for the connection point?

If memory serves, trains and ships also have different electrics but its not for the passenger.
Off to do some googling.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:58 pm

As far as I know, electricity in cruise ships or riverboats matches something in a "real" country (ie 100 to 240 volts, 50 or 60 hz). I'm not sure about the electric sockets at the seats, and it might vary from one type of aircraft to another.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:03 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:58 pm
As far as I know, electricity in cruise ships or riverboats matches something in a "real" country (ie 100 to 240 volts, 50 or 60 hz). I'm not sure about the electric sockets at the seats, and it might vary from one type of aircraft to another.
Do you really know anything, all I hear from you are useless questions. Jim

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:27 pm

"The AC EmPower system converts aircraft AC 400 Hz or wild frequency power to standard AC 60 Hz to prevent additional stresses in laptop chargers already stressed by reduced cooling at altitude." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmPower_( ... r_adapter)

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Resmed devices have been rated for 400Hz mains power operation as long as I have been using them (from the S7).

The other thing to be aware of is that at-seat power is optional, and there is never any guarantee that it will actually work at any given seat on any given flight.

Lack of at-seat power is not regarded by airlines/regulators as an air-safety issue, so aircraft do fly without at-seat power being available on some seats :idea: