cleaning regiment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gabagoo

cleaning regiment

Post by gabagoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:43 am

I would be curious of how often you should rinse out the hose and the mask...and what solution to use for cleaning.

RicaLynn

Re: cleaning regiment

Post by RicaLynn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 am

Answers will vary greatly, but honestly washing the mask with soap and water once a week is sufficient for most folks. I wipe mine down with a tissue every morning, wash it once every week or so, and I never wash my hose.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:00 am

gabagoo wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:43 am
I would be curious of how often you should rinse out the hose and the mask...and what solution to use for cleaning.
We are all different I suppose. I wash my mask when i start to get large leaks. Thats about every 10 days to 2 weeks, when I wash my mask, i go ahead and wash my hose and humidifier tank. For my mask I use aquaphor baby wash and water. The hose and humidifier get vinegar/water. I change my filter on the machine and wipe the machine with a damp cloth. Takes about 15 mins to do the whole routine.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 am

Some of us never ever wash the long hose- there is nothing in it but air. My nasal cushion gets washed every morning, mostly because I like how it smells fresh every night with baby shampoo. The mask headgear gets washed about 2X a month, along with the water chamber. Any soap will do, I'm not picky. Sometimes I just wipe the water tub out with a baby wipe. Don't make yourself crazy trying to maintain the perfect cleaning routine. Figure out what you can do in 2-3 minutes and go with that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

gabagoo wrote:
hose never, mask weekly. and I use dish soap... Dawn or something similar, unscented.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am

Less is more.
Kill too many germs, your immune system forgets how to work.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabagoo

Post by gabagoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... I was told to use a vinegar and water solution (10 to 1) Tried it once and just could not get that awful stink out afterwards....it did evaporate after the first night. I think I will switch to a nice dish soap

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:52 pm

gabagoo wrote:
Please learn to use the "Search" function (above).

viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

I plug the sink and fill it with hot, soapy water (a bit of dawn). I wash my mask and humidifier chamber once a week. I don’t wash my hose unless I get a cold.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

gabagoo wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 pm
Thanks for the suggestions... I was told to use a vinegar and water solution (10 to 1) Tried it once and just could not get that awful stink out afterwards....it did evaporate after the first night. I think I will switch to a nice dish soap
You know I love pickles but I don't want to smell them all night. I think vinegar stinks too and for that reason don't use it unless I just have to. It's so hard to get rid of the smell.

I actually like to use a hand soap (usually liquid of some sort) that has a nice pleasant aroma...or if I happen to have some baby wash (not often since I don't have a baby) I like to use that because of the after aroma.
Just use whatever smells good to you and if you don't want it to smell just use something with no fragrance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I wash my nasal pillows every morning while in the shower with a small amount of unscented dish soap. I use a small basket with suction cups to stick on stall wall to hold it while completing my shower.
As far as the rest of the components, I wash the tubes, humidifier, headgear every 2 weeks. I place all items in a bucket and use dish soap and hot water. Let it soak for about an hour or 2, then rinse thoroughly. Let all items air dry.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm

We all clean to the level we are comfortable with. In clean our cushions weekly and the water reservoirs monthly.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

lamar2217

Post by lamar2217 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 am

You may find a cleaning regiment in the military. The correct term is regimen. :lol: