does post nasal drip effect breathing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gabagoo

does post nasal drip effect breathing?

Post by gabagoo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 am

I am pulling at straws here as it seems every night I always wake up anywhere from 1-4 hours into sleep with a small problem that usually ends up with me being awake and not falling asleep or ripping the mask off to get back to sleep. I don't seem to be bothered by this problem at the beginning of sleep and wonder if it is caused by a small post nasal drip issue. The problem is that when I exhale it is almost like something in my wind pipe shuts for a split second causing the mask and even the tube to convulse slightly and waking me up. When it happens and I am awake it seems to happen every few exhales and I find that if I breathe out very smoothly and calmly it does not happen...at that point I am awake and annoyed...lol
Anyone else experience this and if so is there a solution?

LSAT

Re: does post nasal drip effect breathing?

Post by LSAT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 am

You have been here for a while now, it would be very helpful if you would put your equipment into your profile. You have been asked before....It's hard to diagnose problems without specific information.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 am

Sinus drainage can definitely affect breathing & CPAP use. The degree of effect would depend on your mask.

I have been suffering sinus drainage issues due to allergies the past couple of nights with my nasal pillows. One night I slept for a few hours without the mask. That was definitely not ideal but I have not yet "made good friends" with a full face mask to enable mouth breathing for the occasional times this happens.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 am

gabagoo wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 am
when I exhale it is almost like something in my wind pipe shuts for a split second
That's called an "apnea".