Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mellocello2003

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by mellocello2003 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 am

Nobody here can (or should) confirm that the particles you see is the sound abatement foam.

However, on the RemStar, the filters were placed at the air intake, before the pump. The particles you found on the filter could *NOT* have come from any of the device internals.
Thanks. True, but your speculation is better than Phillips' silence.

Do you know where the air intake was? I'm trying to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind I understand now - it's where the filter is.
Last edited by mellocello2003 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mellocello2003

Post by mellocello2003 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:01 am

You just had a massive logic fail. (Unless your fan runs in reverse.)
Ah good point, but seriously dude you could be more respectful.

We're all going through this shit - that's totally uncalled for.
Last edited by mellocello2003 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 am

mellocello2003 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 am

I decided to take apart my (broken) old REMstar to find where this sound abatement foam is, and I think I found it inside the pump assembly. I recall seeing this crap on the filter and not knowing what it was. I think I breathed this in for years.
Looks like plain old dust to me {shrugs}

mellocello2003

Post by mellocello2003 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:07 am

Looks like plain old dust to me {shrugs}
That's what I thought originally but it's sticky and all a uniform color.

mellocello2003

Post by mellocello2003 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am

That's what I thought originally but it's sticky and all a uniform color.
Found the sound abatement foam if it's useful for others to see (ick I should've changed my filter more often). It's a much different color than the stuff within the pump, so perhaps it was just dust. :roll:
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg (847.29 KiB) Viewed 21926 times

zzz1

Post by zzz1 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:34 am

HairyReasoner wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 pm
I noticed this in the FAQ section of the recall update in answer to the questions: "How did this happen, and what is Philips doing to ensure it will not happen again?"

"Philips has a robust Quality Management System and has followed our review and analysis processes to help identify and address this issue.

The products were designed according to, and in compliance with, appropriate standards upon release. As new standards are developed, they require assessment of product characteristics according to quality and regulatory processes. Philips Quality Management System has been updated to reflect these new requirements.

However, while standards have been updated, products developed on the prior standard are still in compliance with medical device regulations. The foam degradation and chemical emission issues were discovered as part of our Quality Management System processes, and are being corrected in accordance with appropriate regulatory requirements.

Philips has been in full compliance with relevant standards upon product commercialization."
I think what they are saying here is the FDA and whatever the EU regulatory agencies are didn't stop us from doing it.

I'm not bashing Philips because I just bought a Dreamstation on clearance to use with my Resmed machine, but putting foam in the air pathway is just poor design and a foreseeable problem. The Dreamstation 2 doesn't have this problem so when did Philips know about it in the Dreamstation? Apparently Resmed did not put the foam in the air pathway.

I'm also very down on Philips about their recall notice in which they try to wash their hands of liability, put it all on your doctor, and say only use your machine if the risks of not using it outweigh the risks of death and cancer Philips told you about.

KingSnore

Post by KingSnore » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:56 am

I've registered mine, that was fairly quick once the website finally loaded fully. Hopefully we get updates quickly...

biztraveler

Post by biztraveler » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am

FYI - if you enter your machine serial number incorrectly, the website may tell you that your machine is not affected by the recall, rather than telling you that the serial number is incorrect. Double check what you enter!

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am

Seems interesting that Phillips is announcing the recall just as a new machine come out that isn’t affected

nana of 3

Post by nana of 3 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am

My son uses a dreamstation and I was on the phone with him on and off all day over this recall. First answer to him was.... you have been sleeping with that machine for 4 years... any problems to date :lol: soooo.... why would you have to stop using it today. To make a long story short, he made a few calls to his supplier and ended up with a brand new Resmed Autoset, and will use his old machine as a back up when this fiasco is resolved. :mrgreen:
By the way I still have my PR system one as my back up and will just wait until they decide what to do when this is all over........NO PANIC IN THIS HOUSE!!!!!!

Take a step back friends and WAIT until they decide what it is we have to do... just like I told my son, you have been sleeping with this machine for 4 years, with no problems, so why should you immediately panic :wink:

Cheers
Nan

Resmed Airsence 10 autoset and Bleep Dreamport mask

cnlakeshow

Post by cnlakeshow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 am

I just registered my dreamstation on the website. Also, FYI anyone with a humidifier attached. I first entered in the serial number for the humidifier portion and it said my machine was not affected. I then saw another serial number for the front portion of the machine and it was accepted as part of the recall.

My family has past medical history with lung issues so I will stop using the machine for now until we see more updates from Philips.
Dreamstation Auto
AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:17 am

cnlakeshow wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 am
I just registered my dreamstation on the website. Also, FYI anyone with a humidifier attached. I first entered in the serial number for the humidifier portion and it said my machine was not affected. I then saw another serial number for the front portion of the machine and it was accepted as part of the recall.

My family has past medical history with lung issues so I will stop using the machine for now until we see more updates from Philips.
So they have the website enrolling up and running now?? That's good news.

Everyone who will be using the website...make sure you are looking at the blower unit's serial number when you enter the numbers.
The humidifier is a separate device and has a separate serial number and nothing to do with the recall.
This has been a fairly common error when we have asked people for model numbers in the past to identify which model someone is using and they give us the humidifier model number instead of the blower model number. They don't realize these are 2 separate devices. They are attached but still 2 separate devices.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am

zorki1c wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am
Seems interesting that Phillips is announcing the recall just as a new machine come out that isn’t affected
CEO Frans van Houten said Philips is the largest maker of such machines, and between three and four million affected sleep apnea machines and ventilators would be recalled.

"We're going to put all our capacity to focus entirely on replacing and repairing these units," he said in a call. He said the process would likely take a year.

That "has a consequence that we will not be able to serve new customers, so there's going to be a shortage in the field."
CEOs do not make statements like that to increase new machine sales.

JPB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:26 am

Okay.....
this takes you to the registration of the device
https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/

It's pretty much telling us any machine manufactured before April 21, 2021 needs to be checked.
Right now...Canada and US only but they will update it for other countries shortly.

The link has separate categories for DMEs, doctors and patients...so make sure you choose the patient category.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 am

I'm not worrying much, as long as they don't use use asbestos to make the replacement patch. We bathed in brake dust. Jim

As far as the government looking out for medical products damaging us that would be the FDA, considering the WHO's sell out, I don't believe we can count on any help on anything.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire