Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Isoruku
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 am

Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by Isoruku » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello all. This is my first post and it admittedly has nothing to do with sleep apnea medical issues. I just got a call from a debt collection agency (!) by the name of Global Receivable Solutions who said that they are contracting for Apria. They say that I owe them $1890 for my Aircurve 10 that was stolen (along with about $1000 of my other personal effects) on November 1 of last year. This was news to me, and I asked why Apria hadn't contacted me themselves instead of using a debt collection agency. They said, "You did get a letter from Apria." And I said (repeatedly), "No, I didn't." Etc. They didn't believe me. Nice people.

They added that I was the responsible party and I owe them for the CPAP. So my question: has anyone had this sort of issue? (Probably not, but it's worth asking.) If yes, what was the result? I asked Apria again and again in November if they were going to charge me, and they wouldn't commit themselves. Since several months have passed, I had long assumed that they were not going to do so. But today I found out differently.

I don't quite know what to do. The collection agency said that any attempt by me to contact Apria would be re-directed to them. I'd gladly consider seeing a lawyer, but I'm guessing I'll be told that it's not worth their time for a $1900 debt.

Any advice very welcome.

User avatar
Goofproof
Posts: 14018
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: Central Indiana, USA

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:22 pm

What were the conditions of the loss, if it was your home, contact your home ins, with your police report. Jim

_________________
Mask: ComfortGel Original Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: APAP @15 CM & CMS 50E PULSE OX O2 3L
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

User avatar
LSAT
Posts: 9622
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Isoruku wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Hello all. This is my first post and it admittedly has nothing to do with sleep apnea medical issues. I just got a call from a debt collection agency (!) by the name of Global Receivable Solutions who said that they are contracting for Apria. They say that I owe them $1890 for my Aircurve 10 that was stolen (along with about $1000 of my other personal effects) on November 1 of last year. This was news to me, and I asked why Apria hadn't contacted me themselves instead of using a debt collection agency. They said, "You did get a letter from Apria." And I said (repeatedly), "No, I didn't." Etc. They didn't believe me. Nice people.

They added that I was the responsible party and I owe them for the CPAP. So my question: has anyone had this sort of issue? (Probably not, but it's worth asking.) If yes, what was the result? I asked Apria again and again in November if they were going to charge me, and they wouldn't commit themselves. Since several months have passed, I had long assumed that they were not going to do so. But today I found out differently.

I don't quite know what to do. The collection agency said that any attempt by me to contact Apria would be re-directed to them. I'd gladly consider seeing a lawyer, but I'm guessing I'll be told that it's not worth their time for a $1900 debt.

Any advice very welcome.
The collection agency doesn't want you contacting Apria, because if you cut a deal with them, the Collection agency doesn't get their cut. NEVER believe the collection agency. As much as I dislike Apria, in this instance, I would talk to them.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments:  S9 Autoset...APAP Settings 11-15

User avatar
Wulfman...
Posts: 5944
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Isoruku wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Hello all. This is my first post and it admittedly has nothing to do with sleep apnea medical issues. I just got a call from a debt collection agency (!) by the name of Global Receivable Solutions who said that they are contracting for Apria. They say that I owe them $1890 for my Aircurve 10 that was stolen (along with about $1000 of my other personal effects) on November 1 of last year. This was news to me, and I asked why Apria hadn't contacted me themselves instead of using a debt collection agency. They said, "You did get a letter from Apria." And I said (repeatedly), "No, I didn't." Etc. They didn't believe me. Nice people.

They added that I was the responsible party and I owe them for the CPAP. So my question: has anyone had this sort of issue? (Probably not, but it's worth asking.) If yes, what was the result? I asked Apria again and again in November if they were going to charge me, and they wouldn't commit themselves. Since several months have passed, I had long assumed that they were not going to do so. But today I found out differently.

I don't quite know what to do. The collection agency said that any attempt by me to contact Apria would be re-directed to them. I'd gladly consider seeing a lawyer, but I'm guessing I'll be told that it's not worth their time for a $1900 debt.

Any advice very welcome.
If you were the victim of a theft, did you contact your homeowner's insurance carrier and report it to them?
If so, did you receive a payment for the items stolen? If not, why not?
If you were under a contract to make payments for the CPAP, why did you not continue payments?
Was your health insurance company making payments to Apria for your CPAP equipment?

There seems to be a whole lot of information missing from this story.

Also, where are you located?


Den

.
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 12 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

D.H.
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by D.H. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).

_________________
MachineMaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Min pressure 13.5 - Max pressure 20. No ramp. No exhalation relief. Max automatic humidification with heated hose.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 24263
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Nebraska--what does not kill us, makes us stronger

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm

D.H. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).
@Isoruku: Obviously, the village idiot thinks YOU stole the machine.
Ignore him, please.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backup: Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust
I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.
Medicare suppliers:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplierdirectory/search.html

Julie
Posts: 15775
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Canada E.

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 pm

The agency may continue calling, but I can't fathom that anything else will happen... the amount involved is way too small to ever be pursued, prosecuted etc. by either Apria or anyone else. Just hang up on them if they bother you.

SewTired
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:33 am
Location: Minneapolis area

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by SewTired » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm

The first thing I learned with debt collection (especially if you were never notified) is demand that the agency prove that you owed any debt.

Also, this article may be useful. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/health/ ... ance-paid/
Diabetes 2, RLS & bradycardia
Settings: range 8-12

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).
Contact:

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm
D.H. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).
@Isoruku: Obviously, the village idiot thinks YOU stole the machine.
Ignore him, please.
Why does this village have so many idiots???

_________________
Machine: S9 VPAP™ Auto BiLevel Machine
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: S9 Vpap Auto

User avatar
Goofproof
Posts: 14018
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: Central Indiana, USA

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm
D.H. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).
@Isoruku: Obviously, the village idiot thinks YOU stole the machine.
Ignore him, please.
Why does this village have so many idiots???
No charge for admission.

They are so easily entertained, they don't leave.

Reading comprehension skills not required.

Only one trough to drink out of.

_________________
Mask: ComfortGel Original Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: APAP @15 CM & CMS 50E PULSE OX O2 3L
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).
Contact:

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 pm
Only one trough to drink out of.
Best argument for bottled water I've ever heard.

_________________
Machine: S9 VPAP™ Auto BiLevel Machine
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: S9 Vpap Auto

zonker
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by zonker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

you do NOT have to respond to a collection agency! you are under NO obligation to pay this debt!

simply hang up on them and go about your business.

ETA-
https://clark.com/consumer-issues-id-th ... ollectors/

hope the above helps.

User avatar
TASmart
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by TASmart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 pm

But be aware that if you are indeed liable for the APAP, and the, if debt has been sold to Global, and Apria, has written it off, and you do owe for the device. While you are not under any obligation to talk to a collection agency they will file a small claims action in the proper jurisdiction and you will be held liable for the price of the APAP, which you more than likely agreed to when you accepted the machine, and you will have to pay any reasonable legal fees that are incurred for Global to collect their rightful debt. I ended up in bankruptcy over credit card debt when the CC co sold the debt to a collector, a suit was filed against me for non-payment, I filed saying the interest rates were userous (33% if I recall). The judge threw out my claim, issued a summary judgment against me, and that allowed the Collection agency to attach my house, which effectively stopped any sale of the house unless there was enough profit in it to pay off both the mortgage and the collection agency and so on. I ended up declaring bankruptcy to get this crap over and done with.

If you can settle with Apria you should do so, as this kind of thing can get very messy, and Apria and the Collection agency hold all the cards in a stacked debt. Plus they have very smart and experienced legal teams.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

User avatar
kteague
Posts: 7103
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: West and Midwest

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by kteague » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 am

How long had you used the machine? Wondering if the collection amount is the full price of the machine or the balance due? If you do decide to pay, just be sure the math is right. If perchance they are charging you full price without deducting what had been paid, making a stink about this business practice may make Apria more likely to want to work with you to some degree.

D.H.
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by D.H. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 am

It's not 100% clear, but I gather than it was stolen from your house, car, or hotel. If this is the case, you may have insurance for theft and they may accept a payment from them as full satisfaction. Also, depending on you tax situation, you may be able to deduct a casualty loss for the theft (even if you already filed).

If they're saying that you "stole" the machine (by not returning it), then that's a different issue.

_________________
MachineMaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Min pressure 13.5 - Max pressure 20. No ramp. No exhalation relief. Max automatic humidification with heated hose.