OSCAR - how to find my data on laptop

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SarahB

OSCAR - how to find my data on laptop

Post by SarahB » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:13 am

I've always used Sleepyhead and transferred the program with me when I changed laptops. I've just got a new Windows 11 laptop and decided that this time I'd give OSCAR a try. I did try it once before but gave up because of some problem or other.

The program has installed okay and uploaded my data this morning from the SD card. All well and good, but can I view this data somewhere in the OSCAR data folder on my laptop? I've looked through folders and subfolders within the OSCAR folder but am none the wiser and just find a lot of files which my laptop is unable to open.

With Sleepyhead I have always taken a screenshot each day and saved it but that doesn't seem to be possible with OSCAR. I just get a message saying I don't have permission to save the file, then it seems to save an empty file anyway.

Any hints before I uninstall OSCAR and go back to Sleepyhead?
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset. Mask: Resmed Airfit N20 nasal mask

Respirator99

Re: OSCAR - how to find my data on laptop

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:22 am

In the main menu go to Help > About Oscar. In the box that opens up there will be a link called "Show data folder". That will take you to your files. Your screenshots go into the Pictures folder.

This all works on Windows 10, so I assume it will be the same in 11.

About Oscar.PNG
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

SarahB

Post by SarahB » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:24 am

Hi Respirator99. My question was how to find the data once in the OSCAR data files? I've waded through folders and folders without finding anything I can view. Do you know the route once within the OSCAR data folder please? Logs or Profiles folder? Profiles leads to a folder with my name on. Within that there's a Resmed folder and a few files. Within the Resmed folder are folders entitled Backup, Events and Summaries and a couple of files. Backup contains folders called DATALOG and STR_backup. DATALOG has two folders - 2021 and 2022, each containing .edf and .crc files. I don't know what these are or how to open them. Events contains loads of .001 files which again I have no idea how to open, and Summaries contains .000 files which I can't open.

Screenshots, as I mentioned, tells me I don't have permission to save the file in the Pictures folder and would I like to save it in the Pictures folder instead. (!?) Then it says there's been an error saving it and although an icon appears, the size of the .png file is 0 bytes, so presumably it's empty.

This is why I'm looking for help.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:18 pm

SarahB wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:24 am

This is why I'm looking for help.
hi sarah. i don't have the answer and frankly, it puzzles me as to why you can't save that file into pictures.

so i'm bumping this so that your question will rise to near the top and someone with more knowledge will respond.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:33 pm

I run OSCAR on a Win 11 laptop.
Have created a screeshot, asked for it to be saved - and had no problems saving it wherever I wanted

The screenshot you create will not be one of the OSCAR files, and there's no need at all for you to open any of them.

As a first step in troubleshooting the issue, try to save your image in a subdirectory to which you have successfully saved in the past.
Then:
Find your pictures subdirectory with the help of Windows Explorer.
Right click in that subdirectory, create a new file in it, and see if you can save there. It can be a Word file, and once you've managed to create it, you can delete it.

If you can't save anything there - that's the source of your problem -- you may have to change the permissions on that subdirectory.

If you can save there, take a careful look at the full address and make sure you you're pointing at it when you're trying to save from OSCAR.

If you want to separate your OSCAR image from other pictures, create a suitably named sub-directory within you Pictures sub-directory. If you can.

Do not try to create the dedicated OSCAR_images subdirectory withing the OSCAR data sub-dirctories.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:58 pm

As I see it you have a problem and a non-problem.

Ozij has given a great response on the screenshot problem.

As to the non-problem, I have to ask why you want to open all the data files? You can't do anything with them - they're intended to be read by Oscar, not a human.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:54 pm

Respirator99 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:58 pm
As I see it you have a problem and a non-problem.

Ozij has given a great response on the screenshot problem.

As to the non-problem, I have to ask why you want to open all the data files? You can't do anything with them - they're intended to be read by Oscar, not a human.
could be that the op wants to access the charts in order to post here?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

SarahB

Post by SarahB » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 pm

Ha! Problem solved! It turns out my antivirus software was blocking Oscar. I've managed to change the settings and now I can save screenshots.

Sorry Oscar, it wasn't you! Thanks for all the comments above. :D Yeah, of course I don't need to access the Oscar files - I don't know what I was thinking there.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:01 pm

SarahB wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 pm
Ha! Problem solved! It turns out my antivirus software was blocking Oscar. I've managed to change the settings and now I can save screenshots.

Sorry Oscar, it wasn't you! Thanks for all the comments above. :D Yeah, of course I don't need to access the Oscar files - I don't know what I was thinking there.
good job!

should you ever need to, post some charts here in this thread and you'll get lots of advice on how to handle your therapy.

good luck!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac