I have posted before regarding what I believed was a congestion problem, I've discovered that it really isn't so much a congestion issue (as in a lot of congestion is being created) but rather my nasal passages have narrowed (because of swelling) so much that just a little congestion is blocking me up.
I have seen my family doctor a few times now and he has prescribed Flonase which appeared to help a bit for a little while, but has become ineffective. He has made a referral to an ENT, but I have no idea how long that will take and I'm desperate to get some relief until I can see them.
History and things I've tried:
- ResMed A10 Autosense (8-14cmH20)
- ResMed N20 Nasal Mask
- Started therapy Feb 8 - First two weeks went very well absolutely no issues
- Nasal passages started to become inflamed and close about Feb 25
- I originally thought it was a congestion issue and not a narrowing of the passages issue
- The problem comes a go, but lately it has become much more constant and just not going away.
- It seems when the nasal passages close just a little bit of congestion soon clumps and blocks me up
- I've learned that when I do feel some blockage I need to blow my nose very gently otherwise I block my passages instantly
- Irrigating with saline nasal spray but often makes my passages feel "sticky" contributing to clumping of congstion
- Neti-Pots, and Net-bottles help a bit but similar to saline sprays shortly after congestion clumping starts again.
- I have been up and down the humidity setting and but because of the intermittent nature I have had difficulty determining what it should be, I believe that excess humidity might be problematic.
- My Doctor prescribed Flonase two squirts per Nasal passage per day. It initially helped but things returned again
- We increased Flonase to 1 squirt per nostril in the morning then 2 squirts in the afternoon.
- Once again it helped at first but soon reverted back.
- We switched to Nasonex two squirts per nostril twice a day. Didn't help and further complicated things by causing extreme salivation. I'm back to Flonase.
- I've tried oral decongestant and they helped the narrow passages but they kept me awake all night
- Nasal decongestant (Otrivin) worked terrifically! But I'm desperately afraid of becoming addicted and or bounce-back effect. I'm currently on my second night in a row.
I've been through a box of Breathe Strips
Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.
I'm thinking of ordering a full face mask and shipping over-night.
I don't know how well I will take to a FF mask and mouth breathing. Mask suggestions are welcome.
If you require any other information please ask.