Is a 2nd sleepy study to find correct pressure necessary?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MiggySmallz

Is a 2nd sleepy study to find correct pressure necessary?

Post by MiggySmallz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Hey I’m new here! 29yo male, I’ve been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue and really bad brain fog for the past 2yearsit has affected my everyday life. I’ve been prescribed many meds and finally switched doctors. His first thought was doing a sleepy study. Well I just had my 1st ever sleep study on 3/25 and got results back yesterday. I was told I do have Sleep apnea I had 44 events per hour. When they gave me the results yesterday they also said they need a 2nd appointment overnight. They will hook me up the same as the 1st study but also put me on a cpap to find the correct pressure.
Is there anyway around this? Unfortunately I will not have and insurance after April 30th :(
Even with insurance Idk if I’d want to do a 2nd appointment.
I’m paying $1300 after insurance for the 1st study and was told the 2nd study is usually a little more expensive. They have me scheduled for 4/20. I’d like to get a cpap machine before insurance losing coverage.

These are the results that were emailed to me.
https://ibb.co/VB4C9Vw
Last edited by MiggySmallz on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Janknitz

Re: Is a 2nd sleepy study to find correct pressure necessary?

Post by Janknitz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:29 pm

You can titrate yourself on an auto-adjusting CPAP machine (APAP). If you're not going to have insurance anyway (why not?), you can buy a used APAP (ResMed recommended) for a reasonable price and learn how to access the data and adjust the pressure to find your optimal settings. We can help you with that. Some doctors and insurance companies will work with you for a home titration, too.

It would be a good idea to review a copy of your sleep study report, to make sure that your issue is simply obstructive sleep apnea and not one of the more complex types of apnea, though.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

harrywr2

Post by harrywr2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 am

Really depends on how complex your apnea is as to whether a titration study is warranted.
My doctor had me do a 'home study'...($300 for the study...another $300 for the doctor)..then pretty much set me on my own.

For the majority of people of Resmed S10 Autoset will be an excellent choice of machine and the settings that matter are fairly simple, basically deciding what is the best 'starting pressure' and how much Exhale Pressure Relief(0,1,2,3 are the options) works best for you.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 am

MiggySmallz wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Hey I’m new here! 29yo male, I’ve been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue and really bad brain fog for the past 2yearsit has affected my everyday life. I’ve been prescribed many meds and finally switched doctors. His first thought was doing a sleepy study. Well I just had my 1st ever sleep study on 3/25 and got results back yesterday. I was told I do have Sleep apnea I had 44 events per hour. When they gave me the results yesterday they also said they need a 2nd appointment overnight. They will hook me up the same as the 1st study but also put me on a cpap to find the correct pressure.
Is there anyway around this? Unfortunately I will not have and insurance after April 30th :(
Even with insurance Idk if I’d want to do a 2nd appointment.
I’m paying $1300 after insurance for the 1st study and was told the 2nd study is usually a little more expensive. They have me scheduled for 4/20. I’d like to get a cpap machine before insurance losing coverage.

If you are counting on using your insurance to get for supplies or a machine I doubt your sleep Dr. will give you a prescription without goinf thru the 2nd. "Sleep Study" which is actually the titration where they determine your settings and what type machine you need.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

cpap626

Post by cpap626 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:58 am

Like they said, just buy an auto cpap online like offerup or craigslist. just make sure there are not too. any hours on it. You can check in the menu. You can also buy a RX online with just your sleep study for $70 if you want to go that route.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 am

A vote here for Janknitz's response. Please ask what the breakdown of your AHI is (obstructive apnea, central apnea, hypopnea) before you decide about the second overnight session. Ideally you'll also find out about flow limitations and RERAs (respiratory effort related arousals).

If you have mixed apnea (significant amounts of both obstructive and central events) or if you have central apnea, the titration is an excellent idea, because it may turn out to be an efficient way to get you a prescription for a specialized (and expensive) machine.

Titration *might* be a good idea if you have a lot of flow limitations and RERAs; this might indicate a need for a somewhat specialized bi-level machine.

But if you're like most people, you'll have mostly obstructive events, with a handful of central events, flow limitations, and RERAs. You really don't need a titration study in that case.

What you would definitely need is an auto-adjusting, data-capable PAP machine. Like others, I strongly recommend the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, which is more nimble than its main Phillips Respironics competitor and also feels more natural when you use the feature that drops your pressure a little when you exhale. You could also seek the "For Her" version, which has one extra setting that could be of benefit to both men and women.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/