Newbie here - How long does it take to get use too...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shaneequa79

Re: Newbie here - How long does it take to get use too...

Post by shaneequa79 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am
shaneequa79 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 am
Newbie here also...
10/12 days used
3/12 days 4+hrs used
Leak 11L/minn
AHI: 0.1
Total AHI: 0.1

I can now fall asleep with it on, where I never was able to before, even when I attempted treatment about 12 yrs ago and gave up after 4 nights. However now, as per usual, Cpap or no Cpap...am only getting about 4 hours of sleep. I’ve only had 3 days with 4 or more hours used and for the past two uses, my mask has filled up with water, even with the temps and humidity turned down.

I’m sticking with it. The more data the better, but this is sure taking its sweet time. I figure we might be in the same boat in our journey.
Make sure the machine is LOWER than your head. Water cannot travel uphill (naturally). You also keep it up! You are doing good!

Sheriff
Sadly it is, but I think I’ve discovered the issue. It’s been VERY foggy lately. I didn’t know that outside climate found have an impact, and I live in Seattle. I’m going to look here on hose temps and humidity. :) thank you so much for your reply and suggestion, I really appreciate it

AceDiplomats

Post by AceDiplomats » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Gaurhoth wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm
For me, I'm 17 days in and still struggling with the mask a bit. I apparently mouth breath at least enough to turn my mouth into clumpy paste. I still wake up at least 3-4 times a night either due to dry mouth or a leak. However, my energy level has increased, when I wake up... I *feel* awake and not groggy, and I've not had a single morning headache in the last 17 days. Prior, I would wake up with a horrible headache at least 3-4 times a week. Despite being tired, taking naps actually made me feel worse because of the apnea.

All that said, yes the mask/machine is somewhat of a pain still at 17 days... but I wouldn't trade it for what I was dealing with before. Humans have the ability to adapt to almost anything given time and proper mindset. Think of the long term benefits and goals and less about the immediate inconveniences.

If you wake up, don't stress about it. Remember if you have OSA, then more than likely your brain was already waking you up numerous times throughout the night to get your breathing on track... you were probably just so O2 starved that you didn't realize it :) Getting 5 hours of cpap sleep is still better than 8 hours of untreated sleep (imo).
I usually feel horrible in the mornings, somewhat better in the afternoon, but after taking a nap I feel like I just woke back up to the groggy horrible morning. Is this the same kind of experience you had? I'm just curious as I'm new to all of this

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Naps should always be taken with the cpap.
Otherwise, your apnea is beating you up, and that sleep
is no better than no sleep at all.

Gaurhoth

Post by Gaurhoth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:26 pm

AceDiplomats wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm
I usually feel horrible in the mornings, somewhat better in the afternoon, but after taking a nap I feel like I just woke back up to the groggy horrible morning. Is this the same kind of experience you had? I'm just curious as I'm new to all of this
Before CPAP, yes. Mornings were a disaster. As the day wore on, I could somewhat function for a bit. Naps would often result in headaches and a mental fog that just didn't go away easily. Now that I'm on cpap, I'm actively trying to avoid taking naps in the daytime at this point so I can sleep better at night.

jimc2

Post by jimc2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 pm

It took me over a month to get used to being on the hose IRC. I had a full face mask and hated it. But even after I swapped to nasal pillows I still hated it for a while. I went away on a short trip shortly after getting the machine and left it at home. Didn't want to deal with lugging it through the airport and sleeping like crap anyway at the hotel. I would give up after a few hours and take the mask off and sleep without it.

Getting a nasal pillow mask and adjusting some settings and just putting up with it for a while I finally got used to it.

My brother was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea recently and got a machine. He took to it right away was was well under 2 AHI right out of the gate. I believe he is around or under 1 now. He felt better immediately.

I certainly feel better with the machine then I ever did without. But for me it wasn't a remarkable difference. I still get tired occasionally. Mostly because I think I frequently only sleep 6 hours or so for weeks at a time. I need more sleep but feel the sleep I get is much better with the machine then it was without.

I was off of work today and ended up sleeping half the afternoon. I was up late last night though.

I am in NY and still use humidification/water. Winters get really dry especially in a gas heated house. However when I travel a few days for work I don''t bother chasing down distilled water.

Stick with it and post some charts and stuff. Lots of smart people here can likely help with settings.

Additional Comments: backup machine:PR SystemOne REMstar Auto 560 Auto-CPAP Machine with A-Flex cmH20 10-20

AceDiplomats

Post by AceDiplomats » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Gaurhoth wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:26 pm
AceDiplomats wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm
Before CPAP, yes. Mornings were a disaster. As the day wore on, I could somewhat function for a bit. Naps would often result in headaches and a mental fog that just didn't go away easily. Now that I'm on cpap, I'm actively trying to avoid taking naps in the daytime at this point so I can sleep better at night.
Interesting, I just hope to get better soon. Finding other who seem to share the struggle definitely helps with coping.

PatCat

Post by PatCat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well. Thanks again for all your messages.

Last night I had a very bad air leak.

I'm laying here awake as usaul and I can feel a leak on the bridge of my nose, I've already got the straps pulled tight.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please, it's also really drying out my eyes.

Thanks
Pat x