Newbie Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
UppaMike

Newbie Question

Post by UppaMike » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:37 pm

This may seem like a dumb question to longtime hoseheads but consider that I am pretty new at this.

What is is the purpose of a titration study? I don't think I have had one but how would I know?

I got into CPAP by having a home sleep study which is all my insurance would pay for. Does that include a titration?

Be gentle with me, I am still learning!

UppaMike

library lady

Re: Newbie Question

Post by library lady » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Titration is where they figure out what pressures you need to stop your events, and I don't know how the titration happens in a home study. My guess is that they give you an autopap machine that senses what pressures are needed, and they probably use the results of that to determine your ipap and epap pressures. Those who know more about this part of a home study will likely chime in... so keep checking back for answers.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Mike and Welcome -- Not a dumb question. When someone has a titration study in the sleep lab/hospital they are put on a PAP machine and the techs determine what is the optimal pressure to control their apnea while they sleep. Not everyone has an in-lab titration. Some (like Kaiser patients) are sent home for a week or so with an auto-titrating (APAP) machine with the pressures set wide open. When the machine is returned the doc looks at where the pressure went and writes the prescription for a pressure range or a fixed single pressure. I've heard that in some cases a person who uses an online-based home sleep test is simply given a prescription for an APAP with settings wide open and there is no formal titration process. It's assumed that the APAP pressures will go where they need to go.

Wide open settings present a problem for some people so it's usually best to do some kind of titration, even if that's self-titration with the help of data software like ResScan or SleepyHead. Narrowing the range often results in more comfortable sleep and better treatment outcomes.

That's the short version.

How are you doing with your APAP?

Last edited by kaiasgram on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UppaMike

Post by UppaMike » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. That probably explains why my prescription is 7 to 18 but my pressure has never been higher that 12. I was never sent to a sleep doctor and I don't know the results of my home sleep study. Except that I was told to contact a DME to pickup the machine and pick a mask.

UppaMike

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:04 pm

UppaMike wrote:Thanks for the responses. That probably explains why my prescription is 7 to 18 but my pressure has never been higher that 12. I was never sent to a sleep doctor and I don't know the results of my home sleep study. Except that I was told to contact a DME to pickup the machine and pick a mask.

UppaMike
It would be a good idea to obtain a copy of your sleep study report. If you have questions we can help you with what you're seeing in the report.

Your pressure range is pretty much wide open -- how are you sleeping?

sleepinglass

Post by sleepinglass » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 pm

My titration was also a home 'sleep study' and consisted of one night on an autopap.
From this, the pressure of my fixed pressure CPAP brick was determined.

The following sleep study was carried out approx 10 years later, when, after repeated requests on my part, it was finally agreed that I should have another home 'sleep study'. The same procedure was repeated again, auto pap home for one night and my cpap pressure was increased by 4 cms H2O.

"One has to be grateful for small mercies!"

Additional Comments: PR System One BiPAP autoSV Advanced:Epap Min:9 Max:12. PS Min:6 PS Max:12 Max press:25 Back up:Auto.Humidif: set@ 4 DreamStation BiPap AutoSV

UppaMike

Post by UppaMike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 am

I sleep very well actually. Better than I have in years. If anything, I can almost sleep to excess! I have had weekends where I have slept for 10 hours straight. I haven't done anything like that in years.

I will call my doctor to get a copy of the sleep study results. Once I have them I will be back with specifics!

Thanks for all the responses!

UppaMike