Increased bathroom usage and sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jerseyguy

Increased bathroom usage and sleep apnea

Post by Jerseyguy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 am

I've read that sleep apnea can cause increased urination and I'm wondering my mask leaks are right on the edge of acceptable (24-30L). Wondering if my having to go to the bathroom all the time means that I'm not getting treated well due to the leaks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Re: Increased bathroom usage and sleep apnea

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 am

Are you seeing any events flagged just prior to the bathroom break and what is the leak rate at the time of the bathroom break?

And where are you getting that leak number from?
Software reports or the LCD display of the machine?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Hard to say without your data, but yes I had to pee 1-3 times a night for years... haven't had to pee at night since I started CPAP February of last year so yes I'd be worried about the leak rate especially since they say they want it below 24L/min
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

blacknebula

Post by blacknebula » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:56 pm

It could be many things. As others have stated, more complete data / settings would be beneficial to help them help you. I'm a newbie too and don't know much, but here's my story regarding middle of the night bathroom excursions...

When I first got my machine the pressure was set to min 5, and when it started to increase up to my usual pressure I would often wake up at that point. And then end up going to the bathroom because my brain is stupid and won't let me go to sleep unless my bladder is completely empty. So I changed my initial pressure to something closer to my usual range, and cut those night awakenings by about half immediately and am slowly seeing a decrease in the remainder. In the last few weeks I've had two nights where I slept 6.5 hours and 7.5 hours without going to the bathroom! First time in over 15 years that's happened. :shock:

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm

XPAP treatment tends to make it better it your treatment is correct, You need to get proactive, at the end of this posts are the links to Sleephead. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Jerseyguy

Post by Jerseyguy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:58 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:Hard to say without your data, but yes I had to pee 1-3 times a night for years... haven't had to pee at night since I started CPAP February of last year so yes I'd be worried about the leak rate especially since they say they want it below 24L/min
Resmed my air, I neglected to put the SD card back in the machine. Since I do that alot maybe I need a wifi card. Based on previous Sleepyhead reports my awakenings don't happen after an event. Though my pressure goes up every time I my apnea links start. In looking at reports. My mask leak is higher than the 24-30. I've started a private page on my website so that I can post multiple nights and with ease as I post from my cell and its not to easy to paste the links. Goto www.trentonairportinfo.com/Sleepyhead for the page. I guess I need a new mask but doing exchanges with my DME is horrible.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm

You can try various masks at Cpap.com for a few wks if you pay a small insce fee.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 am

Julie wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm
You can try various masks at Cpap.com for a few wks if you pay a small insce fee.
Good tip, and in fact some have free return insurance, so the only risk is being lazy and not returning a mask that doesn't work.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chartle

Post by chartle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 am

nicholasjh1 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Hard to say without your data, but yes I had to pee 1-3 times a night for years... haven't had to pee at night since I started CPAP February of last year so yes I'd be worried about the leak rate especially since they say they want it below 24L/min
Same here. It comes and goes like a month waking up and a few weeks not. But in these past 5 weeks I haven't gotten up once and being male and closer to 60 than 50 Its almost expected. :)

Chalkie

Post by Chalkie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am

I have recently been diagnosed with enlarged prostate and nocturia. It amounts to an added sleep hazard unless you manage fluid intake ahead f bedtime carefully.

Maybe such issues affect others? Might be worth getting a check-up, especially if you are over 40.
Machine: Philips Respironics BiPAP C Series.
Mask: Respironics Comfort Gel Nasal Mask.

Pressure 12-18.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Good point, chalkie.
Especially for the guys.
Also, schedule any diuretics for earlier in the day, rather than right before bedtime.

yourbrokenoven

Post by yourbrokenoven » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 pm

I had frequent urination that actually started a year or two before I started treatment. It continued and lessened after I began treatment and now, almost 4 years in, I don't normally wake to go to the bathroom.

At first I thought I was starting early with the prostate issues.

AirMech74

Post by AirMech74 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:36 am

So that is why I have to get up like 3 to 4 times....but it's always at the same time each night...I go to bed around 11...12:30 i'm getting up to pee....1:30ish...get up to pee....between 3 to 4...I'm getting up to pee. I finally do my sleep study this week.

A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 pm

I used to get up a couple times a night but since starting CPAP its very rare that I have to get up. I had read somewhere that Apnea stresses the body so much that excess urine production is a symptom/effect.

J-

chartle

Post by chartle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm
Also, schedule any diuretics for earlier in the day, rather than right before bedtime.
Yes when they were part of my BP meds if I forgot to take it first thing in the morning I knew I was going to be up all night. But if I skipped or forgot it it was much worse with 7 hours of restless sleep.