Does the perfect mask exist?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DavidY

Does the perfect mask exist?

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

One month into CPAP. First tried the P10 nasal pillows...got two sores in the mustache area (I am clean shaven) after 2 nights. Secondly, the nasal N20 didn't fit at all. Thirdly, Eson2 worked the best so far, but I don't like the headgear over the nose and eyes. My fourth one was the wisp....got a red bruise over the bridge of my nose and was leaky when I toss around at night. Is that it? Be advised that all new mask suggestions would be at my cost.

TedVPAP

Re: Does the perfect mask exist?

Post by TedVPAP » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:19 pm

For me it does - the P10.
I have not had a sore problem. You may want to try the other pillow sizes. You could protect the sore area by covering it with band-aid or something.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Have you tried some comfort items like mask strap pads and mask liners www.padacheek.com and Lanolin cream can help with the sores (in the baby aisle at drug stores and wall mart.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

And you can try masks from www.cpap.com with return insurance. If you don't love it, you have 30 days to send it back and they refund your money.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Have you tried some comfort items like mask strap pads and mask liners www.padacheek.com and Lanolin cream can help with the sores (in the baby aisle at drug stores and wall mart.
For the wisp...I was really hoping that it would work for me...minimal headgear...straps on the cheeks only...didn't mind the strap marks with the fabric frame...wore a new bandaid each night...got an open sore in the morning anyways. Switched back to the Eson2.My DME only gave one free mask switch. I would like to keep my new mask orders within Canada if at all possible. :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

OP is showing in Canada.
Using cpap.com and/or the return insurance available isn't probably a viable option.
Number one...cpap.com can't ship ResMed or Respironics products outside the US.
Number two...even with the brands that can be shipped out of the US the logistics of customs being involved and the 30 day thing makes it really difficult to try a mask enough nights to give it a fair trial.
The return insurance requires that the mask be return and in cpap.com's hands within 30 days of the day they first shipped it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 pm

No, you will always want something better. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm

My perfect mask is theQuattro FF. Been using it for 9 years. Every now and then I try another..I've tried the P10, F20 and Simplus. I always go back to the Quattro.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 pm

I think that I am down to about two remaining nasal masks without headgear over nose and eyes...Swift FX Nano or Dreamwear.

Dave

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 pm
No, you will always want something better. Jim
Number One Answer.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 pm

Of the 2 choices you are looking at ...the Nano and the DreamWear (I assume the under the nose cushion)....I suggest take a good look at the DreamWear. Get the cushion off your nose for one thing.
Plus if you end up liking it and ever want to revisit the nasal pillows...the nasal pillow insert for the gel pillows will fit on the existing frame that you will already have. The cushion and the gel pillows both use the same frame.

I have used both of those masks and from what you say about your nose and sores and stuff...I would look at the under the nose cushion and if you ever revisit the pillows don't cram them in your nose so tight. The most common mistake people make with nasal pillows is that they crank them down way too tight.

But is there a perfect mask with no down sides to it....I have ever found one. While very good they all have some little something that could maybe be done a little better. And I have tried probably close to 60 masks over the years. Not so much because I was unhappy with what I was using but because I just like to try different stuff so I can learn more about my own personal preferences and needs.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

yourbrokenoven

Post by yourbrokenoven » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 pm

I haven't been satisfied with anything I've tried so far. Everything leaks when I fall asleep. No leaks when I'm awake.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 am

Regarding the Wisp mask, have you checked that it fits you correctly? Is the mask the right size for you? The sore on your nose may mean the headgear fit isn't balanced properly, or is too tight. You want the cushion to have enough space to inflate (like a hovercraft), but not so much that major leakage happens. The four points of frame connection to the headgear provide a really stable structure for the cushion to float in, without leaks of significance. I found it finicky to fit, but the end result was worth it. I've gained much more comfort and my ahi has improved overall.

Here are some tips I posted in another thread that worked for me to improve fit:
After 10 months of using the Wisp with minimal leaks and a bit of frame shift, I noticed I didn't have the velcro fasteners perfectly matched/aligned on each side (top right with top left, bottom right with bottom left). After concerted effort making a series of tiny changes to accomplish that balance, I arrived at a fit situation that doesn't leak and doesn't shift. I gently folded the frame in half so I could match the velcro straps to each other, and then very gradually lengthened one side and shortened the other until the velcro ends matched while the overall length still gave me the correct cushion fit. I think it is also important to balance the tension between the top and bottom straps so the cushion isn't being pulled up the nose (from the top straps) nor pulled down too far on the upper lip (from the bottom straps). My final fit tip is to make sure the top head strap is placed fully on the top of the head, not sliding down the crown to the back.

I hope you find a workable solution soon,
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 am
Regarding the Wisp mask, have you checked that it fits you correctly? Is the mask the right size for you? The sore on your nose may mean the headgear fit isn't balanced properly, or is too tight. You want the cushion to have enough space to inflate (like a hovercraft), but not so much that major leakage happens. The four points of frame connection to the headgear provide a really stable structure for the cushion to float in, without leaks of significance. I found it finicky to fit, but the end result was worth it. I've gained much more comfort and my ahi has improved overall.

Here are some tips I posted in another thread that worked for me to improve fit:
After 10 months of using the Wisp with minimal leaks and a bit of frame shift, I noticed I didn't have the velcro fasteners perfectly matched/aligned on each side (top right with top left, bottom right with bottom left). After concerted effort making a series of tiny changes to accomplish that balance, I arrived at a fit situation that doesn't leak and doesn't shift. I gently folded the frame in half so I could match the velcro straps to each other, and then very gradually lengthened one side and shortened the other until the velcro ends matched while the overall length still gave me the correct cushion fit. I think it is also important to balance the tension between the top and bottom straps so the cushion isn't being pulled up the nose (from the top straps) nor pulled down too far on the upper lip (from the bottom straps). My final fit tip is to make sure the top head strap is placed fully on the top of the head, not sliding down the crown to the back.

I hope you find a workable solution soon,
Jean
Yes, I had both the L and XL masks....tested both. The XL leaked all the time. The L was fine most nights, but can leak a lot when I toss and turn at nights....so much so that I wake up at night. As for the bruise on the bridge of the nose, it doesn't hurt....it's just something that I wake up with. Tried the mask both loose and tight and in between. It's a workable mask...a backup mask at best. Gone back to the Epson2 which has a slightly larger nose cushion...more flex I think....and the frame seems to keep the mask from marking up my nose. It sometimes leak when I move around at nights. Not perfect, but the best one so far....I think that I will stay with this one until I see a sale on the DreamWear. Thanks for the comments Soothest_Sleep.

Thanks for the comments on the DreamWear, Pugsy.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 am

A perfect mask would never fit my imperfect face.

P10 works well for me, but I have a mustache. I find that the P10, like many masks, works best for me when I leave it somewhat loose, counter-intuitively loose. In my opinion, that is an aspect of PAP masks that many newer and not-so-newer PAP users have trouble with--understanding just how loose modern masks are supposed to be--especially ff masks, but other kinds too. The tendency for many of us is to tighten a mask to minimize leaks, when loosening the mask is often more likely to help leaks in many instances. Many masks are designed to inflate in order to use the air pressure to activate the cushioning properties of the mask design. Having a mask too tight defeats that feature. Maybe that's not the issue for you. But for me during the first several months, I didn't understand that what felt "loose" to me was actually just "not as tight," and I needed to loosen the mask all the way to what felt "ridiculously loose" before some masks started working well for me. Hey, just me.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.