Bought a 2nd-hand CPAP to use until Dr. appt. Can you help me use this properly?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyInTheDesert

Bought a 2nd-hand CPAP to use until Dr. appt. Can you help me use this properly?

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Everyone; I'm so glad I found this forum from lurking on r/sleepapnea.

I recently bought a used (but in great condition) Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP (no auto feature, model 30715) from a man off craigslist. I'd love to get some tips and encouragement to make sure I'm using it properly until I can get in to see my new doctor.

I suspect I've had sleep apnea for a long time but only noticed last fall when I was experiencing anxiety attacks when my grandfather passed away. During that (fortunately) short period, I could feel my airway being blocked and I'd get jerked "awake" before I could properly fall asleep. I stopped noticing after a week or so later. But I do still get up in the middle of the night; sometimes to use the bathroom as I do drink water before bed, but sometimes I think it's because I stopped breathing.

The past couple of days have not been great in terms of sleep. I've been feeling more anxious and stressed lately from my new job which I think is contributing to me recently noticing my airways being blocked again. I keep getting up every couple of hours, which then makes me more anxious, and the cycle continues. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see my new PCP until end of July (hard to get in to see a new doc in this town smh); I had to change doctors due to my old one not accepting my new insurance.

Between now and then, how can I best treat my sleeping habits with this CPAP? It came with a Quattro FX full face mask, I recently ordered the head strap for it which will come in a couple of days; in the mean time I DIY'd a strap to have it fit. It's not the best fit, but I can get secure enough where the machine reads Good Fit on the mask.

I know it's going to be awhile until I can get a sleep study done and go through all the treatment process. Until then, I'll read through as much of your posts as I can. Thanks <3

LSAT

Re: Bought a 2nd-hand CPAP to use until Dr. appt. Can you help me use this properly?

Post by LSAT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm

It's a shot in the dark as far as settings. It's a fixed pressure machine and there is no way to tell what pressure setting you will be comfortable with or what setting will do you any good. Do you know what settings are on the machine? Pressure? EPR? Ramp? Humidity? Here's the clinical manual for your machine.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

palerider

Re: Bought a 2nd-hand CPAP to use until Dr. appt. Can you help me use this properly?

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm

SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 pm

I recently bought a used (but in great condition) Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP (no auto feature, model 30715)
I don't believe that's the right number, look on the back for a REF number.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 pm

LSAT wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm
It's a shot in the dark as far as settings. It's a fixed pressure machine and there is no way to tell what pressure setting you will be comfortable with or what setting will do you any good. Do you know what settings are on the machine? Pressure? EPR? Ramp? Humidity? Here's the clinical manual for your machine.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
I played around with the settings last night after resetting it to factory settings. Currently have pressure at 5; ramp with 5 mins & pressure at 4; I have the EPR off; humidity is at a 3 or 4 i think. And you’re right, it really is a shot at the dark right now, but i’ll work with it. Thanks for the link!

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:

I recently bought a used (but in great condition) Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP (no auto feature, model 30715)
I’ll double-check on the REF when I get home tonight.

I should’ve add to my original post that i tried it on last night but could only use it for an hour. It feels really weird having the mask on :shock: .

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm

SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm
palerider wrote:
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:

I should’ve add to my original post that i tried it on last night but could only use it for an hour. It feels really weird having the mask on :shock: .
It often takes a bit of getting used to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm
palerider wrote:
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:

It often takes a bit of getting used to.
I checked the REF# and it’s 37015 (darn typo).

I was able to keep the mask on longer last night but used it off and on throughout the night.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 am

good on ya for showing some initiative. this will help you get in practice for the real thing.

as you've already noticed, it's hard to get used to the mask, that damned alien on your face! :) you may want to try wearing the mask when your aren't in bed. like watching tv or cruising the internet. that will help your mind to become easy with this thing on your face.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm

SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 am

I was able to keep the mask on longer last night but used it off and on throughout the night.
Unfortunately, that is indeed the pretty useless brick... you'll pretty much be guessing about what to do to make things better.. I'm very sorry.

What AHI did you get from the time you were on it?

You will probably need higher pressure... maybe 8 to start with... (yeah, sorry, it's a guess)

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 am

Unfortunately, that is indeed the pretty useless brick... you'll pretty much be guessing about what to do to make things better.. I'm very sorry.

What AHI did you get from the time you were on it?

You will probably need higher pressure... maybe 8 to start with... (yeah, sorry, it's a guess)
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed when I realized it wasn't the auto one, but its ok. I think just having it and knowing i can use it is helping me mentally. I'll try the higher pressure and see how that works. I downloaded Sleepyhead but I do need to find a card reader. I'll post my results as soon as I can find one.

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 am
good on ya for showing some initiative. this will help you get in practice for the real thing.

as you've already noticed, it's hard to get used to the mask, that damned alien on your face! :) you may want to try wearing the mask when your aren't in bed. like watching tv or cruising the internet. that will help your mind to become easy with this thing on your face.

good luck!
Thanks for the tip, i'll definitely give it a try. It's a bit freaky looking at myself in the mirror with it on :lol: .

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:17 pm

SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed when I realized it wasn't the auto one, but its ok. I think just having it and knowing i can use it is helping me mentally. I'll try the higher pressure and see how that works. I downloaded Sleepyhead but I do need to find a card reader. I'll post my results as soon as I can find one.
SH doesn't currently support the CPAP model, Resscan can get a little info off the card, but not a lot more than what's on the display.

SleepyInTheDesert

Post by SleepyInTheDesert » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:25 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:17 pm
SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm
SH doesn't currently support the CPAP model, Resscan can get a little info off the card, but not a lot more than what's on the display.
Aw that sucks, thanks for the heads up. There's a sticker on the machine for My Air; I'll give that a try.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 pm

SleepyInTheDesert wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 am

good luck!
Thanks for the tip, i'll definitely give it a try. It's a bit freaky looking at myself in the mirror with it on :lol: .
ya should have seen my dog, the first time he saw it! :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Go ahead and give SleepyHead a try. I think you get get a close estimate on AHI and maybe a 95% leak number.
No event category breakdown though.
That's all that you can get...if you can get that but I think I remember seeing some limited data from the half assed brick AirSense 10 CPAP.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.