How To Avoid Back Sleeping?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peony

How To Avoid Back Sleeping?

Post by Peony » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am

Hi All-
Im a newbie here! Searched for this topic in many different ways, but couldnt find anything. Hope Im not rehashing it for you!
My question is: are there any "props" or tricks that work best for avoiding back sleeping? Tried the tennis ball thing (doesnt work),pillows, etc.. I always fall asleep on my side, but end up on my back.

Thanks! I had a recent 3 day CPAP home trial for my mild apnea, and now awaiting doctors analysis and approval of a unit.

beautifuldreamer

Re: How To Avoid Back Sleeping?

Post by beautifuldreamer » Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Peony wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am
Hi All-
Im a newbie here! Searched for this topic in many different ways, but couldnt find anything. Hope Im not rehashing it for you!
My question is: are there any "props" or tricks that work best for avoiding back sleeping? Tried the tennis ball thing (doesnt work),pillows, etc.. I always fall asleep on my side, but end up on my back.

Thanks! I had a recent 3 day CPAP home trial for my mild apnea, and now awaiting doctors analysis and approval of a unit.
I have filled a backpack with several (20 or more) wool dryer balls and wear it at bedtime and that has helped me. I have also put the dryer balls inside a netting for hand washables, and tie that to my back. Then after a few weeks of tying it to my back, I am able to just lay it beside my back while sleeping on my side, that works for me now.

There are some gizmos that they sell on Amazon for training to not sleep on back. Just do a search and you will find some.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Peony wrote:
are there any "props" or tricks that work best for avoiding back sleeping?
Discussion under "Positional Devices for Snoring and Sleep Apnea" - https://singularsleep.com/blogs/news/po ... leep-apnea

Peony

Post by Peony » Wed May 01, 2019 5:03 pm

beautifuldreamer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm
Peony wrote:
Hi All-

I have filled a backpack with several (20 or more) wool dryer balls and wear it at bedtime and that has helped me. I have also put the dryer balls inside a netting for hand washables, and tie that to my back. Then after a few weeks of tying it to my back, I am able to just lay it beside my back while sleeping on my side, that works for me now.

There are some gizmos that they sell on Amazon for training to not sleep on back. Just do a search and you will find some.
Thank you!

Peony

Post by Peony » Wed May 01, 2019 5:04 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Peony wrote:
are there any "props" or tricks that work best for avoiding back sleeping?
Discussion under "Positional Devices for Snoring and Sleep Apnea" - https://singularsleep.com/blogs/news/po ... leep-apnea
Thank you for the link!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed May 01, 2019 6:02 pm

I ended up sleeping on my back during initial titration (in July, 1999). The technician decided to calibrate my settings based on that potion. That worked for me.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed May 01, 2019 6:08 pm

That's one of the main reasons we need a correctly set APAP, it can cover the pressure changes needed if we change position. Jim
I'm like Rover, I have to change positions all the time,APAP follows my needs.
Last edited by Goofproof on Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 pm

D.H. wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:02 pm
I ended up sleeping on my back during initial titration (in July, 1999). The technician decided to calibrate my settings based on that potion. That worked for me.
It's a good idea for her to avoid backsleeping until she gets a properly set machine.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 pm

The lightweight nylon bookbag style backpack stuffed with whatever might work. I used to avoid back sleeping because I didn't want to use a high enough pressure to accomodate it as I was getting air in my belly already. Once I learned to keep my tongue sealed to the roof of my mouth I was able to back sleep with no increase in pressure and no higher AHI.

Peony

Post by Peony » Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 pm

kteague wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 pm
The lightweight nylon bookbag style backpack stuffed with whatever might work. I used to avoid back sleeping because I didn't want to use a high enough pressure to accomodate it as I was getting air in my belly already. Once I learned to keep my tongue sealed to the roof of my mouth I was able to back sleep with no increase in pressure and no higher AHI.
Good suggestion! Thanks

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Thu May 02, 2019 1:24 am

A solution I've found that works is surprisingly simple and comfortable, depending on your couch: sleep on a couch where you don't have a deep enough space to sleep on your back, made easier by having hands hanging over the side.

No crazy uncomfortable tennis balls, no backpacks, nothing crazy needed. Perhaps throw an accessory pillow behind your back, if needed, to make sure you don't have enough space to roll over onto your back. The funny thing about humans is the observation that more often than not, when they're aware they've got a rather finite amount of space they're sleeping on before they fall off, they'll tend not to fall off! If in doubt, make sure where you might fall is not dangerous, no big deal.

tammy1001

Post by tammy1001 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 am

I've been experimenting with the Slumberbump it might be worth a try if you dont mind dropping the $$. Its actually well made and designed. Being able to set how high the back thing is inflated is useful to be able to keep off your side but transition between left and right without too much discomfort.

Staying off my back and only sleeping on my side has caused me some lower back issues, one common way to remedy that is keep a pillow between your legs. This has also ended up helping me stay off my back as well and is worth a try.

Peony

Post by Peony » Thu May 02, 2019 11:27 am

tammy1001 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 am
I've been experimenting with the Slumberbump it might be worth a try if you dont mind dropping the $$. Its actually well made and designed. Being able to set how high the back thing is inflated is useful to be able to keep off your side but transition between left and right without too much discomfort.

Staying off my back and only sleeping on my side has caused me some lower back issues, one common way to remedy that is keep a pillow between your legs. This has also ended up helping me stay off my back as well and is worth a try.
Thank you- Ive been looking at that product.

Nohemi

Post by Nohemi » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 am

Peony wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:27 am
tammy1001 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 am

Thank you- Ive been looking at that product.
I heard about this product. It can really help. You can try it for sure.

stevej1234

Post by stevej1234 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm

If I wear a backpack or Slumberbump i won't be able to roll from my left side to my right side or vice versa. :|