Just got diagnosed for "mild sleep apnea" (13 ahi), looking for general advice. 28M, not overweight.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elwoodpdowd

Re: Just got diagnosed for "mild sleep apnea" (13 ahi), looking for general advice. 28M, not overweight.

Post by elwoodpdowd » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:57 pm
peppyaf wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:25 pm
Now that ohip will cover the for her model, what about private insurance. I have manulife. They told me they would cover 80%, they didn't have any list of models to show me. I feel like the vendor will try to say that manulife won't cover any of the autoset models.
The list of eligible devices is an OHIP/ADP program and shouldn't impact your private insurance.

I'm guessing Manulife is a pretty standard group plan, similar to my SunLife plan.

When my machine came in, I picked it up and paid for it. The price on the invoice was the cost of the machine after the OHIP / ADP price adjustment. I then submitted the documentation, they re-embursed me for 85% of the total cost.

I've since bought supplies, replacement humidifier tank, replacement heated hose, replacement mask, and filters. Submitted my documentation and once again SunLife re-embursed me 85%.

I wasn't sure if I would get re-embursed for my supplies as I didn't buy them through my DME. I bought them online, at half the cost. No problem though.
I also have Sunlife and am able to co-ordinate my wife's plan who is also Sunlife and by doing so we get 100% coverage. They covered my CPAP for $500.00 after the province of Manitoba covered the rest and can only do this once every 5 yrs. Good to know that they will cover filters, hoses and masks if they are purchased online.

sleepy-programmer

Re: Just got diagnosed for "mild sleep apnea" (13 ahi), looking for general advice. 28M, not overweight.

Post by sleepy-programmer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

peppyaf wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm
Does anyone have similar mild results as me, was being treated worth it? Did it help?
👋🏼

34m, not overweight, same AHI on average. My issue isn't weight it's anatomical. I am too early in my treatment to say for sure but CPAP has been the only thing I've done that let me feel like I actually had a decent night of sleep. In my situation it makes sense to me: I just don't have enough room in my throat.

peppyaf

Post by peppyaf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:24 pm
peppyaf wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm
One more update and question.

So originally I was given a prescription of 6cm.

DME set up my autoset to 4-8cm.

Today, I had my titration study. The sleep tech said that 6-7cm was a good pressure for me and I so I should leave the 4-8cm setting on my machine.

2 questions:

- can I bump the 4cm to 5cm just for comfort level? At the titration study they started me at 5cm and it felt better. I forgot to ask the tech.

- my daily sleepyhead reports show that my max pressure and 95% pressure everyday hits 8cm everyday. Does this not mean that I need more pressure? I asked the tech this and he was confident that I did not require any more than 8cm. My average pressure as per sleepyhead seems to be around 6-7cm. Perhaps the autoset algorithm is just too aggressive?
Sleep test results are very often wrong. And the people that recommended your settings are pretty clueless

Set it for 6-10, or even better, 6-20, the max pressure is irrelevant for most people, all it does is prevent the machine from working at it's best.

The autoset algorithm isn't "aggressive", it's "responsive" to your changing needs.

I tried one night with 6cm-10cm, the max and 95% pressure was 10cm.

I tried one night with 5cm-15cm, the max was 11.64 and the 95% was 11cm.

In both those cases though the ahi remained the same range as I normally have. 0.5 to 1.5 ahi. That's why I question if the additional pressure actually helps.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:48 pm

When the pressure goes up for some reason it's wanting the fight something....and what it is wanting to fight isn't necessarily something that shows up in the AHI. There's a reason for it to want to increase the pressure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SteveGold

Post by SteveGold » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

peppyaf wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm
Does anyone have similar mild results as me, was being treated worth it? Did it help?
Yep. My untreated AHI is 16 and it’s enough to wake me up constantly. Once I started on CPAP I could sleep through the night for the first time in years.