Advice on buying a used cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babybear

Advice on buying a used cpap machine

Post by babybear » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 am

I am considering buying a used a used cpap machine and am concerned about the possibility of the contacting an infectious disease. I see sites on the internet that mention this. Could anyone give me advice on this topic please. Thank you for your time. :)

metsfan302

Re: Advice on buying a used cpap machine

Post by metsfan302 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:17 am

I have purchased many used devices and used them, no issues ever. What Infectious Disease might you think you would get?

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am

Many people on the forum have purchased used machines, and I have never heard one of them say they picked up an infectious disease from them. If you're really worried about it, simply replace the water chamber, hose and filter in the machine. Maybe you've been watching too many late night ads for "CPAP cleaning machines" that use scare tactics to sell them.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 am

metsfan302 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:17 am
I have purchased many used devices and used them, no issues ever. What Infectious Disease might you think you would get?
Only Hoof and Mouth Disease :!: :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:58 am

babybear wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 am
I am considering buying a used a used cpap machine and am concerned about the possibility of the contacting an infectious disease. I see sites on the internet that mention this. Could anyone give me advice on this topic please. Thank you for your time. :)
forum member lsat has a machine to sell-

viewtopic/t175410/New-Almost-Airsense-1 ... -Sale.html

he's been selling machines for at least as long as i've been here.

so far, i've heard no one come back to claim they got an infectious disease from a machine bought from him.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 pm

babybear wrote:
I am considering buying a used a used cpap machine and
Excellent idea.
babybear wrote:
am concerned about the possibility of the contacting an infectious disease.
Don't be.
babybear wrote:
I see sites on the internet that mention this. Could anyone give me advice on this topic please. Thank you for your time. :)
You can find just about anything in the world on 'sites on the internet'.

Doesn't mean it's true.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm

My cousin just got me a used autoset as a backup machine and I really do feel a sense of relief being prepared incase my machine breaks. I'm just looking at it for the first time today. In fact I checked in here at CPAPTALK to look for old threads because I can't seem to get the hose to come apart?

it's NOT a heated hose but it has two hoses, a very long grey hose, and a shorter white hose that connects to the mask. I looked it up and it's an optilife mask an there are extra sealed pillows in medium size. I saw there was also a cushion options when I was researching what kind of mask this was. I prefer the cushion with my dreamwear mask.

The autoset machine itself looks spotlessly clean already but I am still going to wipe it down again ofcourse. I will change filters. I am buying a new sidecap as I don't use the humidifier.

I'm pretty much over my fear of infectious disease and now only have a fear of wanting to set up a second sleepyhead without contaminating my perfect 100% compliance. LOL :P I'm also curious what data might be on this card? Will it look significantly different from my own data?

Anyway ... I doubt I'll reuse these hoses but I'm baffled that I can't get them to come apart of come off the mask? At the connection between the hoses is a completely clear connector but I don't know if it's a separate piece or part of one of the two hoses? It makes that connection totally swivel between the two hoses.

Any hints or suggestions regarding the hose or any special cleaning?

... and Good Luck BabyBear!

~~~grace
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Grace~~~ wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm
My cousin just got me a used autoset as a backup machine and I really do feel a sense of relief being prepared incase my machine breaks. I'm just looking at it for the first time today. In fact I checked in here at CPAPTALK to look for old threads because I can't seem to get the hose to come apart?

it's NOT a heated hose but it has two hoses, a very long grey hose, and a shorter white hose that connects to the mask. I looked it up and it's an optilife mask an there are extra sealed pillows in medium size. I saw there was also a cushion options when I was researching what kind of mask this was. I prefer the cushion with my dreamwear mask.

The autoset machine itself looks spotlessly clean already but I am still going to wipe it down again ofcourse. I will change filters. I am buying a new sidecap as I don't use the humidifier.

I'm pretty much over my fear of infectious disease and now only have a fear of wanting to set up a second sleepyhead without contaminating my perfect 100% compliance. LOL :P I'm also curious what data might be on this card? Will it look significantly different from my own data?

Anyway ... I doubt I'll reuse these hoses but I'm baffled that I can't get them to come apart of come off the mask? At the connection between the hoses is a completely clear connector but I don't know if it's a separate piece or part of one of the two hoses? It makes that connection totally swivel between the two hoses.

Any hints or suggestions regarding the hose or any special cleaning?

... and Good Luck BabyBear!

~~~grace
The hoses act a lot like the finger handcuffs we played with as a kid, don't pull hard on the connection, wiggle it side to side while pulling. I get new hoses for the XPAP, if you plan on reusing the short small hose just clean it if you want. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Grace~~~ wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm
I'm also curious what data might be on this card? Will it look significantly different from my own data?
If you reset the machine to the factory defaults, it will also erase the data on the card. If you want to make sure, simply place the card in your computer and reformat it.

babybear

Post by babybear » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks for all the reply's including the funny ones. I don't always believe everything I read on the internet however I wanted to be extra careful since its health related. Even though I have never met anyone on this site, I value all of your opinions more than my own doctor and appreciate all the help you have given myself and others. I have greatly improved my sleep health due to all of the the great advice!!!!!! :D

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Well if you have any allergies to dogs or cats you may want to verify that the
machine was from a pet free house. I didn't do this and then found out the
machine had been used in a house with a cat and with my cat allergy I was not
a happy camper.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

tarpatel

Post by tarpatel » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 pm

if you are diligent and keep looking around you will find new or even very low hours used machines to alleviate any fears. This forum seems to have many machines for sale and don't forget to try sites like OfferUp and LetGo also.

I got a machine with only 14 hours for a very very good price on OfferUp.

good luck.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

I found my spare machine on facebook marketplace. It had 106 hours on it.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am

Insist on actually seeing the run hours.

Here's a conversation I had with somebody selling a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her on Letgo.com.

He lost his crap when I asked about the run hours, he then then blocked me.
CPAP_Letgo.com.png

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am
Insist on actually seeing the run hours.

Here's a conversation I had with somebody selling a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her on Letgo.com.

He lost his crap when I asked about the run hours, he then then blocked me.

CPAP_Letgo.com.png
JEEEEE-pers! no, nothing to hide there.
:roll:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg