Is the AirMini worth it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
karthikvprasad

Is the AirMini worth it?

Post by karthikvprasad » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello forum,

I've been using ResMed Airsense (S9 and S10) for the past 7-8 years and have really liked it. I now have to travel for work each week and was looking at the Airmini. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried this - do you like it? I heard there isn't a humidifier, what's your experience there? Any general guidance on this will be very helpful for me to evaluate, before I place an order for this.

Thank you,
BD

zonker

Re: Is the AirMini worth it?

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm

karthikvprasad wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm
Hello forum,

I've been using ResMed Airsense (S9 and S10) for the past 7-8 years and have really liked it. I now have to travel for work each week and was looking at the Airmini. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried this - do you like it? I heard there isn't a humidifier, what's your experience there? Any general guidance on this will be very helpful for me to evaluate, before I place an order for this.

Thank you,
BD
here's someplace to start-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178272&p=1339284&hi ... i#p1339284

you can use the search feature to find more.

good luck!!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Mr Nosey

Post by Mr Nosey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 am

Nice size, weight and love the AUTO on (when inhaling). However, I found it too noisy for me even when using earplugs (which is due to sound transduction via the mask). YMMV (as luckily has been the case for many people). Myself? Just say no...to the mini, the Transcend and the Z1 = all too noisy for me. My advice? Buy from a site where you can return the unit if it does not suit your needs. Definitely worth owning if it works for you (as is the case with my brother). I'm envious..but I struggled with the mini for 18 days appreciating that I'd probably need to get acclimated to use of the new machine) without success.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:28 pm

We travel internationally several times a year for 2+ weeks at a time and take other, shorter trips throughout the year, both by plane and car. Ever since I had trouble carrying on my CPAP at an overseas airport, I have traveled with an AirMini.

I did order it from a supplier who offered a 30-day trial so I could return it if I could not tolerate the increased noise, lack of humidity, and/or mask. Turns out I could NOT tolerate the mask, but I WAS able to hack the hose to use my Bleep so that is not an issue. The hack, surprisingly, significantly reduced the noise! The AirMini is not as quiet as my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, but it is now very quiet, which was not the case initially. The lack of humidity...well, that is the trade-off I am willing to make for the WAY smaller size and weight. I am very happy with my AirMini for travel and use it even for weekend car trips. I am a super light packer and my little AirMini in its lunchbox takes just a little corner of my small weekend bag, all I take! My husband carries more than I do...always shocks family and friends!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Nezil

Post by Nezil » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:39 pm

I think it is... but I modified mine to work with the DreamWear masks and fitted a silencer. I find that I don't need additional humidity, but I can use the HumidX cartridges with the DreamWear cushion if I want.

More details here: http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t177851/T ... 42d7b0944a

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Personally, If you still have the S9, I would use that without the humidifier. You are familiar with it and it's quieter than the mini.

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:46 am

I travel a fair amount. At home I use an S9.
Depending on the type/length of travels I will either use an Airmini or an S8.
I don't use humidity ever, so that's not a factor with me.
Things that influence my decision as to which to take:
Mode of travel - will I be travelling by car (space is not an issue) vs. train (more of an issue) vs. plane (bigger issue)
How long is the trip and how long will I be in any 1 place
Will I need a battery.

The advantages of an Airmini are many and well documented on this forum so I won't repeat them...
The advantages of the S8:
It's a "full service" machine with all that implies (noise level, reporting, versatility of settings)
It has no power brick or proprietary cord like the Airmini - just needs a standard C7/C8 'figure 8' cord (I do find the Airmini cord plug can much easier slip out of the electrical socket) - (and I have the figure 8 cords in the 4 different plug configurations I use most - EU/US/GB/Aussie - I'm missing the Aussie one for my Airmini)
I can use whatever mask I want (yes I know you can buy an adapter for the Airmini, but it's one more link in the chain that can go wrong), as well as various hose lengths (if I use it during a flight, I have a 2 ft hose that works great as I can't move more than 2ft from the machine anyway)
The damn things are fairly indestructible. I have one bounced all the way down a flight of stairs and still works fine. I got my first one about 14 years ago (I have more than 1 - they are all stored in places I visit often) and never had a single problem with any of them.

Depending on your travel patterns (and your ability to get your hands on one) the S8 makes for a great travel machine.

#MRWA. Make racism wrong again.
#MFWA. Make fascism wrong again.
Remainer/Revoker/Rejoiner

karthikvprasad

Post by karthikvprasad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you all for the detailed replies and your time! Highly appreciated.

Regards,
BD

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 pm

I have had the air mini for just over one year and use it while camping,travelling, and even at home when I sleep with the little ones. I use a full face mask so using a humidifier cartridge with it is impossible. I love the mini for its size. Truly an engineering marvel and while I can tolerate using it that there are three things that drive me crazy about it.

1. Noise from the hose/mask is crazy noisy. I mentioned I use a full face mask but I tried the P10 and it was even more noisy since the HME cartridge is basically right at your ear when you’re sleeping. If you don’t like whooshing noises while you breathe then don’t waste your time with any travel CPAP.

2. Power brick design doesn’t have the option to a swap the plug on the brick with a cord like how Apple laptop chargers are designed to be a wall wart or as a power brick on the floor using the cord. Many electrical plugs that are really worn won’t keep the brick in place so it’s loose and can fall out. Easy fix if you pack a small roll of tape with you while you travel.

3. No possible option to have a water based humidifier. Fortunately the places I have travelled to are mainly tropical destinations but dry climates like where I live and camp really does take its toll on you after 3-4 days.

If I had to choose again I’d opt to take a full sized machine over a mini for the three reasons above. But if size and weight are super important then you don’t have a choice but to use a travel CPAP.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am

karthikvprasad wrote:
I now have to travel for work each week
What mode of transportation? What are you trying to accomplish with a travel machine?

The S9 travels quite well especially if you leave the humidifier at home.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am
karthikvprasad wrote:
I now have to travel for work each week
What mode of transportation? What are you trying to accomplish with a travel machine?

The S9 travels quite well especially if you leave the humidifier at home.
Note: if you do this, leave the heated hose at home, and use a standard hose.
Without the humidifier, the air exhaust is not compatible with the Climateline hose.