BiPAP as an abbreviation simply means bilevel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

BiPAP as an abbreviation simply means bilevel

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am

Please note that the abbreviation BiPAP is no longer restricted to referring to a certain brand. BiPAP is now an accepted public-domain, nontrademarked way to refer to bilevel. It would be good to know that to keep one from derailing threads by trying to convince newbies of an alternate-reality universe in which Respironics actually won in it's attempt to control the English language and corner the market on bilevel with their bone-headed move to TM the common abbreviation.

Thank you for noting:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/BiPAP

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 20pressure

Note the lack of any TM stamp in the above dictionary definitions and lists of common abbreviations.

Yes, I realize this is not a battle that I, the dictionary, or the real universe can win in this forum. But I thought I'd give my version of a reality check anyway.

Picture all the poor newbies trying to correct their doctors and providers based on other misleading information about the common abbreviation as discussed in forums, as if it can only be used to refer to a Respironics machine.

(How was that at adopting modern forum-speak to make a point? As you can see, I'm trying really hard to fit in! :lol: )
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Re: BiPAP as an abbreviation simply means bilevel

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 pm

:lol: :lol:
Still not going to get me to change my responses. I prefer to use bilevel because that's what it is.
I will be gentle about it though when someone tells me the AirCurve model isn't a "bipap" which happens often....and we all know it is indeed a "bilevel".

It's 2 more characters in typing....I see no need to abbreviate when the abbreviation can potentially confuse people.

And yes....I have long stated that the term "bipap" has become a "generic" term for bilevel. It still doesn't make it something that I like or would personally participate in.

Good job...now you have found something you can argue with me about. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you have been looking.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 pm
Good job...now you have found something you can argue with me about. I know you have been looking.
Ah. Now I can die a happy man! :D :wink:
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:24 pm

jnk... wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am
Please note that the abbreviation BiPAP is no longer restricted to referring to a certain brand. BiPAP is now an accepted public-domain, nontrademarked way to refer to bilevel. It would be good to know that to keep one from derailing threads by trying to convince newbies of an alternate-reality universe in which Respironics actually won in it's attempt to control the English language and corner the market on bilevel with their bone-headed move to TM the common abbreviation.

Thank you for noting:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/BiPAP

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 20pressure

Note the lack of any TM stamp in the above dictionary definitions and lists of common abbreviations.

Yes, I realize this is not a battle that I, the dictionary, or the real universe can win in this forum. But I thought I'd give my version of a reality check anyway.

Picture all the poor newbies trying to correct their doctors and providers based on other misleading information about the common abbreviation as discussed in forums, as if it can only be used to refer to a Respironics machine.

(How was that at adopting modern forum-speak to make a point? As you can see, I'm trying really hard to fit in! :lol: )
Most of us actually understand (knew) that. But there are "a few" who don't and/or have bullied others into using one or the other depending on which brand is being referred to. Actually, it's probably better for P/R if it does become the more commonly applied word. There are still some sites which haven't "changed their way of thinking" yet........

It's like the word "Aspirin". It was originally named by Bayer in 1899, but over the last hundred-plus years, it has been widely used as a generic name. I'm sure there are many other words which have also come under this same scenario.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin

P.S.......I rest my case!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Be careful....the back hoe fund is growing and I already have a trailer to haul it to New York. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing saving your butt is probably the fact I don't like pulling trailers and hubby doesn't like the drive to New York.
But I might have a little chat with your wife. :shock: :lol: Point her to some good ID shows or Forensic Files shows.
I have figured out that back hoes can be rented...puts a whole new perspective on things. Still a bit pricey but if one plans well and does all the dirty work quickly....it's doable.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:09 pm

jnk... wrote:
The use of the trademark symbol is not required by law. In fact, the symbol has no legal standing.

The appearance in a dictionary does not mean the term has lost its registered trademark status.

As far as I know, Philips still holds the registered trademarks - https://trademarks.justia.com/751/05/bi ... 05449.html

You won't find any other bilevel manufacturer using the term BIPAP.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:22 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:09 pm
jnk... wrote:
The use of the trademark symbol is not required by law. In fact, the symbol has no legal standing.

The appearance in a dictionary does not mean the term has lost its registered trademark status.

As far as I know, Philips still holds the registered trademarks - https://trademarks.justia.com/751/05/bi ... 05449.html

You won't find any other bilevel manufacturer using the term BIPAP.
All true. But none of your points changes anything about the meaning, status, or use of the term as a generic abbreviation as defined in dictionaries; as used by professionals in papers, slides, lectures, and articles; and as spoken repeatedly by doctors and scientists all over the world on a daily basis.

So please give the newbies a break by not holding them to some theoretical higher standard of false-preciseness.

Unless, of course, you want to be some kind of smart aleck like me.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Zonker, please chew with your mouth closed in my threads so I can hear myself try to think in here. TIA.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:54 pm
Be careful....the back hoe fund is growing and I already have a trailer to haul it to New York.
You have motivated me to use the rest of the afternoon to put my last will and testament in order.

I leave all my used ResMed BiPAPs to PR.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm

I love you Jeff. You make me smile when a smile is much needed in today's new world.

But I still won't call a ResMed AirCurve a bipap

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm
But I still won't call a ResMed AirCurve a bipap
I hear ya. It frankly set my teeth on edge to do it, too, just now. But I love the newbies more than I love my own teeth. If I wouldn't raise my hand to correct a professor who chose to use the term that way, I would let it slide with everyone else too. I consider it best to try hard to listen for thoughts more than the words.

I prefer "bilevel" or "BPAP" myself in print. Problem is that in the field those terms just don't roll off the tongue in speech very well. "BPAP" sounds too close to "CPAP," and "bilevel" is an extra spoken syllable. I believe most researchers end up saying "BiPAP" when in a sentence with the spoken term "CPAP."

Thanks again for not (yet) running me off the board and not (yet) burying me under a pile of compost on your property.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:56 pm

jnk... wrote:
Please note that the abbreviation BiPAP blah blah blah
thank you for taking your pointless crusade to your own thread, instead of derailing others.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:00 pm

jnk... wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:22 pm
So please give the newbies a break by not holding them to some theoretical higher standard of false-preciseness.
I suppose you're *intentionally* missing the point that was made by multiple people, that using the wrong term when looking for things on the web will end up giving you suboptimal results.

But, whatever, have at them windmills, continue your crusade against information and education.. have fun.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:09 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:56 pm
jnk... wrote:
Please note that the abbreviation BiPAP blah blah blah
thank you for taking your pointless crusade to your own thread, instead of derailing others.
I was de-derailing. :P
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)