Dreamstation Humidifier Chamber failure - leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kozmick

Dreamstation Humidifier Chamber failure - leaks

Post by kozmick » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:30 am

Hi all,

I have a Philips Dreamstation with Humidifier:

Here's correspondence with Philips support...essentially useless.

My Question:

Anyone else out there experiencing humidifier tank failures?
Possible causes and cures?
Recommendations for an alternative product with humidifier?

Thanks. Mick

-----------------------------------------------

I am a Dream Station cPap client since Sept. 2019 when I was originally diagnosed. with SA.

I have had to replace the water tank chamber three times, due to the plastic chamber leaking through a hairline crack in the tank.

Each time the tank has leaked all over my night stand, causing damage to the finish.

It made quite a mess.

In the most recent episode the tank began leaking the second day of usage.
Upon inspection, I could see a fine hairline crack in the tank on the base of the tank in the same approximate location toward the front of the tank just under the air intake venturi. After filling the tank I can visually watch a slight supportimperceptible stream of water leaking when placed on a paper towel...in several minutes it's soaking wet. Without the humidifier tank I am unable to use the humidifier function of the machine which is vital to my therapy. I run the machine in auto cPap mode, with the humidifier setting at the lowest setting of "1". Tube heating at 2. I use a Nuance Pro Headgear.

If the tank is not leaking occasionally it runs dry...but in my opinion this should not cause the tank to crack unless the machine is defective...

Pressure min. 7 , ramp 5 for 5 minutes, max15 but it never exceeds a pressure of 9 according to the machine daily readout.

My morning AHI reading are usually very low from 1.5 to occasionally 4, seldom exceeding 3.5. Usually for a duration of 7-8 hrs, with 100% mask fitting, zero leakage.

This should not be happening. It is not acceptable. If there is a design or material/manufacturing defect it clearly needs to be dealt with, or I will terminate my contract with my Medicare advantage provider, Humana and local distributor Norco and seek a replacement technology.

Please contact me forthwith to resolve this issue.

klm49

Re: Dreamstation Humidifier Chamber failure - leaks

Post by klm49 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:08 pm

I have had a Dream Station for nearly 5 years and still have the same humidifier tank with no problems. I usually have my humidifier on 2 and only use heated hose in winter. Depending on your pressure and your mask it is not unusual for the humidifier to go dry during the night. The tank does not hold enough water IMO.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Mick, where are you getting the chambers? I've heard of people buying chambers online and maybe getting 3rd party tanks of lesser quality.
That's very unusual and makes me think there is something unique to your experience that is contributing to the issue, not that I have any clue what it could be...

kozmick

Post by kozmick » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for all that have responded thusfar...

I believe that the mfg of the tank is Philips...but you raise a good point, something that I'll check out.
Possibly a humidifer unit has gone South...but Philips is not following through on that.

Any recommendations for an alternative cPap machine with Humidifier?

Thanks.

Mick

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Easily the resmed airsense autoset 10.

But there have been a few people that had issues with that humidifier tank also.

It does sound like severe heat cycling though. Maybe (lol)

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:02 pm

For what it’s worth, my Dreamstation water chamber is 3 years old, original one, never had a leak.

Is it possible that you may inadvertently bang it on the edge of the sink while emptying or washing it? Trying to get that last drop of water out? I fear dropping it on a tile floor because I’m sure it will crack. I do have a spare from my DME for just in case. I think my insurance covers a new one once a year.