How to/home made ideas. Post Pictures please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

How to/home made ideas. Post Pictures please.

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm

I wanted to see a thread with home made ideas with pictures for new users. Thinks like headgear/hose/mask covers. Ways to tape and scrunchi to keep air from leaking out, hose management systems and other useful tips and tricks. It always helps me to see a picture.

I will start. Here is how I keep my machine from sliding around on my nightstand (dog feeding mat in pink) and how I route the hose up and between pillows.
1755BAF8-16A3-4483-820D-504415BCE0EA.jpeg
A37E4BB0-42E7-49F1-9959-BD92F9E4FB8E.jpeg

Jay Aitchsee

Re: How to/home made ideas. Post Pictures please.

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&st=0&sk=t&sd ... i#p1086296
Here's an item I suggest rather than tape. It's a stretch headband made from a thin, soft cotton like material similar to that of a T shirt. It is double thickness (a tube), but still thin with a seam at one edge. It doesn't unravel when cut. It is about 2.5 inches wide and fits nicely between the nose and chin. I think it would fit most without being too tight or loose. I wear it just like a headband only pulled down over the mouth and ears. I cut holes for my ears. It does not interfere with a P10 or Dreamwear nasal mask. When it is worn with the seam down, it tends to keep the bottom lip closed. It is porous so that chipmunk cheeks are less likely to form, but at the same time, it restricts the flow and reduces mouth leaks considerably. It also softens the noise of mouth leaks and discourages mouth inhalation. I've worn it for about two months and it has reduced my average nasal mask leaks (mouth) from an average of about 12L/m to about 5 rarely exceeding the large leak mark. I've see them sold at various places including grocery and drug stores. They cost about $5 for a set of five and are washable. One set should easily last a year. Here's some at Amazon.

P.S. I put the head band on and marked it with a pen to determine where to cut the ear holes.
Like this:

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 pm

this is an idea suggested here by forum member jay aitchsee-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

it helps me to keep my mouth closed and breath through my nose. i've made a few modifications on jay's system, customizing it, if you will, to suit my hard to close mouth! :lol:

here-

IMG_0081.JPG

as you can see, i also use a foam cervical collar. just using these two devices, what i call "my rig", has lowered my AHI over 1 point.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

tyrone747

Post by tyrone747 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Where do we send the money to get Zonker back? :lol: I kid because I love.

tyrone747

Post by tyrone747 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:56 pm

I'd be interested to see if anyone has home brewed a Bleep style mask. With just some tubing and 3M tape you could save $2 a day. The hard part would be getting the venting right I imagine.

katestyles

Post by katestyles » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 pm

I made a vent cover to hold my filter against the bleep - out of a piece of spandex fabric.

This began because I didn't have the correct filters and I was trying to make a baffle.

My first attempt - the Barbie underwear - failed when I managed to pull the squashy part off the solid part, and couldn't do anything to fix it because the lacy baffle was sewn on.
IMG_1440a.jpg
IMG_1440a.jpg (795.82 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
So I changed to spandex.

I cut a hole in the middle, where the tube enters the hard plastic vent part, and then stretched the spandex round and made holes to hook it over the squashy plastic part.

It is amazing - it helps the air diffuse through the filter rather than bounce straight off.

It does make it harder to see the bobbles where the arms fit, and I had to write on "Bleep" so I can get it the right way round, but it has changed my bleep experience immensely.
IMG_1452.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG (603.28 KiB) Viewed 7033 times

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:21 pm

For my P 10, I modified Dreamware strap covers from a cannoli shape to a taco shape. I picked out the stitches to remove one Velcro fastener from each cover, then sewed on one set of snaps. The folded edge is the one closer to my jaw; the open side is closer to my eyes. This makes the covers less thick, so they don’t press as hard on my cheekbones. You could remove the other piece of Velcro if you wanted even less bulk. I get either no marks on my face or faint marks that go away pretty quickly.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Well rats, the photo didn’t appear. I tried doing this on my iPad, which is what I used to take the picture; any advice?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Dust cover for machine.
Attachments
5B6D1C62-C58C-41DE-8253-2C6494F29019.jpeg
5B6D1C62-C58C-41DE-8253-2C6494F29019.jpeg (949.25 KiB) Viewed 7007 times

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 pm
Well rats, the photo didn’t appear. I tried doing this on my iPad, which is what I used to take the picture; any advice?

any way to get that picture off of the ipad and onto a computer?

(mind you, i'm not pretending i KNOW anything, just asking.)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 pm
Maybe the picture was too large? With my iphone I use an app called image size to make my pictures smaller so they will upload.

restoredrest

Post by restoredrest » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm

I made some covers for my CPAP mask cushion seal because I was getting blisters from the silicone. It took me about an hour to make one, sewing them by hand.

I wanted to post some pictures but it seems pretty complicated. Anyway, I established a new business and found some people who can sew much better than I can. I sell them on the website https://restoredrest.com . I don't know if it is ok to tell people about it on this site. Can anyone tell me the rules about promoting my product on line? Seems like there is new product news posted. Can I send a press release somewhere?

Thanks,
Rita

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm
I wanted to see a thread with home made ideas with pictures for new users. Thinks like headgear/hose/mask covers. Ways to tape and scrunchi to keep air from leaking out, hose management systems and other useful tips and tricks. It always helps me to see a picture.
I have no problems with air leaking, from anywhere (mask leakage usually zero, on a bad day it may hit 1 liter for a few minutes.).

I also have no cover, device is on a shelf next to my bed, and I live alone, so no one else touches it.

I do have a 'hose hanger' that the VA supplied, keeps the hose high and off the bed. Very nice.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 pm

SDBud wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 pm
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm
I have no problems with air leaking, from anywhere (mask leakage usually zero, on a bad day it may hit 1 liter for a few minutes.).

I also have no cover, device is on a shelf next to my bed, and I live alone, so no one else touches it.

I do have a 'hose hanger' that the VA supplied, keeps the hose high and off the bed. Very nice.
Wow what mask do you use ? I have tried several and they all have leaks.

Do you have a picture of the hose hanger you have?

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:48 pm

restoredrest wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm
I made some covers for my CPAP mask cushion seal because I was getting blisters from the silicone. It took me about an hour to make one, sewing them by hand.

I wanted to post some pictures but it seems pretty complicated. Anyway, I established a new business and found some people who can sew much better than I can. I sell them on the website https://restoredrest.com . I don't know if it is ok to tell people about it on this site. Can anyone tell me the rules about promoting my product on line? Seems like there is new product news posted. Can I send a press release somewhere?

Thanks,
Rita
I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully someone with more experience here than me will be along soon to answer you. :)