New auto-SV user checking in

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idlewire

Re: New auto-SV user checking in

Post by idlewire » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 pm

CrazyCooter wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 pm
the darn bag of mask, hose, and ASV takes up al least 30% of my available lockable storage.
The humidifier attachment is optional. So if you don't mind the comfort loss, you can disconnect it and then connect the tubing directly to the air outlet port.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 am

idlewire wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 pm
CrazyCooter wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 pm
the darn bag of mask, hose, and ASV takes up al least 30% of my available lockable storage.
The humidifier attachment is optional. So if you don't mind the comfort loss, you can disconnect it and then connect the tubing directly to the air outlet port.
Yes, I left the humidifier at home on this trip knowing the air on the coast would have moisture.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 am

Changing to a regular bipap (bilevel) machine isn't going to save you much space as there aren't any tiny travel size bilevel machines that I know of....and if you have an issue with central apneas the regular bilevel machines can't deal with them effectively. I wouldn't be so quick to get sub optimal therapy if it were me.

You are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. So sorry.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm

May just have to go without when I bike trip then. I've seen guys packing generators on their bikes, but it wont be me.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Welcome to the ASV club. This is a journey and not a cure. There will be up and downs but hang in there and it will get better.
My experience with fitting masks is to set the machine to the highest prescribed pressure and then lie down, no pillow, and hold the mask to your face. Gently, adjust, and vary the pressure of your hand until you find the sweet spot for no leaks. Then and only then, adjust the headgear to replicate that pressure and position. More tightness after that point will not help.
Oh, BTW, remember to return your machine settings to what they were before you started this. Getting the leaks down to a very low number is really important for your treatment so keep on trying.

As has been suggested, clean shaven is better for nasal and/or full face masks in terms of helping with sealing against leaks.

I've got the same machine as you have and it does an excellent job. My first machine was a Auto BiPap and even though I was able to get the numbers down, I still felt like c**p and was tired and fuzzy thinking most of the time. I suspect you will revert to those kind of symptoms if you use an Auto BiPap for those road trips especially if they last a week or so.
You didn't say, but do you have a trailer you could use for the non-essentials and keep the ASV stuff locked in the regular space?

You should get a copy of the OSCAR program so you can look at your own data.
You should also get a copy of the Encore Pro software (if your computer is a Windows machine) because there are some ways of looking at the data that are much easier in Encore.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 pm

JDS74 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 pm
Welcome to the ASV club. This is a journey and not a cure. There will be up and downs but hang in there and it will get better.
My experience with fitting masks is to set the machine to the highest prescribed pressure and then lie down, no pillow, and hold the mask to your face. Gently, adjust, and vary the pressure of your hand until you find the sweet spot for no leaks. Then and only then, adjust the headgear to replicate that pressure and position. More tightness after that point will not help.
Oh, BTW, remember to return your machine settings to what they were before you started this. Getting the leaks down to a very low number is really important for your treatment so keep on trying.

As has been suggested, clean shaven is better for nasal and/or full face masks in terms of helping with sealing against leaks.

I've got the same machine as you have and it does an excellent job. My first machine was a Auto BiPap and even though I was able to get the numbers down, I still felt like c**p and was tired and fuzzy thinking most of the time. I suspect you will revert to those kind of symptoms if you use an Auto BiPap for those road trips especially if they last a week or so.
You didn't say, but do you have a trailer you could use for the non-essentials and keep the ASV stuff locked in the regular space?

You should get a copy of the OSCAR program so you can look at your own data.
You should also get a copy of the Encore Pro software (if your computer is a Windows machine) because there are some ways of looking at the data that are much easier in Encore.
Yes, this adventure is what it is! Hoping to add a few more quality years back onto my life.

I swapped out my med sized mask for a large and it works great so long as I don't upset it on the pillow. Got a cpap pillow and it did help. I'm not clean shaven, but do notice when I get lazy, the leaks form. Even though the machine isn't picking up the leaks I had early on, I knew they were there blowing into my eyes.......

I do not tow a trailer with either bike. The point of the cycles was to keep it simple, light and small....this condition complicates that care free lifestyle. We have a Jeep w/ off road tent trailer as well as a Peterbilt w/ 38' 5th and either of those has plenty of space and power to run the machine.......I lived in the 5th for the month of June with no outside support. I told the wife I'd just leave it home sometimes, but it didn't go over well.......

I did download Oscar and have data stored to look at. Some of it makes sense and some I'm a bit foggy on. Pretty well burned out on techy stuff these days, but the energy is coming back so maybe have more ambition to do it.

ajack

Post by ajack » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 am

You are wasting your time, not being shaven and having a FFM with an ASV. It is either a nasal mask with no mouth leaks or a shave. ASV are the most sensitive to leaks and air will diffuse through the beard and won't support your breath properly. Go back to your DME or ask your doctor.