F&P Brevida mask just beat my nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoomzoom

F&P Brevida mask just beat my nose

Post by zoomzoom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Woke up today feeling like someone punched my nose. Is this normal? I'm using the small size because using the large size makes the pillow touch more of my upper lip/under nose area and it feels weird and icky to have a warm and moist gel thing touching me throughout the night.

What was different about last night that made my nose so sore than the other nights? On one other occasion, my nostrils were just slightly tender, but last night's experience was that it actually was painful for the first few minutes after waking up. It's basically fine now (about an hour after waking up).

jimbud

Re: F&P Brevida mask just beat my nose

Post by jimbud » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm

I use the Brevida and I have to tape my septum every night. For some reason it makes my right nare raw if I don't. A little lanolin helps. I am trying a Resmed P10 pillow starting tonight. Hopefully with a better result.
JPB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm

You had the straps just a bit too tight and your nose wasn't used to the added pressure.
I had the same thing happen when I first used the P10 and I had been using nasal pillow masks of some sort for years.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Wow,...if the Brevida gives you issues, I would hate to see what some of the other options would do. I guess I was lucky, I have used the Brevida from day one with zero issues, and without the aid of lanolin or anything else. I also adapted right to the P10 with only minor soreness the first night or two due to the tight straps. The Brevida does just fine with a 'loose' fit btw.

You may be a candidate for the Bleep, or whatever it's called that Pugsy is using now.

Dreaming1

Post by Dreaming1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm

P-10 was okay for me, but hurt nose really bad (was the favorite for a couple years). Have been wearing the Bleep Dreamport for three nights now and it’s been really great. No more blasted pain in my nostrils and the tip of my nose doesn’t feel like it’s on fire, which normally it did on the P-10. I tried the Brevida for two nights about a year ago and it leaked like crazy with my facial hair. Better things out there, but wearing it too tight will cause all kinds of trouble. Pain being one of them.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I also have full beard (since 1976). Ain't gonna' cut it off. I have had good luck with Brevida. Not many leaks, good seal and pretty comfortable. Just the one nare in one small area stays raw if I don't tape every night. Only mask I have used since I started therapy the last of November 2018. I bought a ff mask for when I get a cold or allergies get out of hand. Will definitely try the Bleep when I can get my hands on one.
Hope everyone here finds a mask they can live with, from what I have heard on here, none are going to be perfect.
Good luck to all. JPB

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm
I use the Brevida and I have to tape my septum every night. For some reason it makes my right nare raw if I don't. A little lanolin helps. I am trying a Resmed P10 pillow starting tonight. Hopefully with a better result.
JPB
Yikes, I might look into that. I was running errands today but forgot lanolin. I have some petroleum jelly. Maybe that will work in a pinch? I'll try it tonight, or would that ruin the gel cushion material?

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm
You had the straps just a bit too tight and your nose wasn't used to the added pressure.
I had the same thing happen when I first used the P10 and I had been using nasal pillow masks of some sort for years.
You might be right. I did tighten the strap a little bit because I wanted to have the pillow sit just a bit closer to the nostrils and avoid touching the top of the lip/bottom of the nostrils area.
Mark55 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Wow,...if the Brevida gives you issues, I would hate to see what some of the other options would do. I guess I was lucky, I have used the Brevida from day one with zero issues, and without the aid of lanolin or anything else. I also adapted right to the P10 with only minor soreness the first night or two due to the tight straps. The Brevida does just fine with a 'loose' fit btw.

You may be a candidate for the Bleep, or whatever it's called that Pugsy is using now.

I'm actually looking into that Bleep stuff! I'd like to give that a try whenever I can get my hands on it. Since it's covered by insurance, I might try it the next time my mask/cushions are available.

Dreaming1 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm
P-10 was okay for me, but hurt nose really bad (was the favorite for a couple years). Have been wearing the Bleep Dreamport for three nights now and it’s been really great. No more blasted pain in my nostrils and the tip of my nose doesn’t feel like it’s on fire, which normally it did on the P-10. I tried the Brevida for two nights about a year ago and it leaked like crazy with my facial hair. Better things out there, but wearing it too tight will cause all kinds of trouble. Pain being one of them.
The Bleep is one that I'll definitely be trying! I watched Lefty's video on YT and watched the marketing video from Bleep. It really seems like something that I would enjoy.

jimbud wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm
I also have full beard (since 1976). Ain't gonna' cut it off. I have had good luck with Brevida. Not many leaks, good seal and pretty comfortable. Just the one nare in one small area stays raw if I don't tape every night. Only mask I have used since I started therapy the last of November 2018. I bought a ff mask for when I get a cold or allergies get out of hand. Will definitely try the Bleep when I can get my hands on one.
Hope everyone here finds a mask they can live with, from what I have heard on here, none are going to be perfect.
Good luck to all. JPB

Any recommendations on taping? What kind of tape do you use, and where does it go exactly? Thanks!

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 am

I too am surprised! The Bravida may be the only mask that is as good as the Dreamwear nasal cushion as far as being easy on the nose! I can see how it might be fitted too tight. It, more than most others, really expands as the pressure from the machine hits it. That is what makes the seal. It seals well even with straps more loose than I would run them on a P10 or Nuance. The Bravida can feel a bit damp after a while, but you can get used to that. Matching the distance between the holes on the cushion to the distance your nostrils are is a good start for good fit.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 am

Any recommendations on taping? What kind of tape do you use, and where does it go exactly? Thanks!

3M Flexcare micropore paper tape. Any drug store dept. I have to use it frome one nare to the other across the septum, end of nose. Probably should not use petroleum jelly (I have heard on here it will harm silicone). Get some lanoline (good stuff).
Good luck.
JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 am

jimbud wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 am

3M Flexcare micropore paper tape. Any drug store dept.
You can get a case of it (10 rolls) on amazon for around 9 bucks (last I checked).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 am

You can get a case of it (10 rolls) on amazon for around 9 bucks (last I checked).
I hope I live long enough to use 10 rolls! :D Still in good health of course.
JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:28 pm

jimbud wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 am

I hope I live long enough to use 10 rolls! :D Still in good health of course.
JPB
They go faster than you think... Lol

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.