Smartwater substitute during covid-19

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoomzoom

Re: Smartwater substitute during covid-19

Post by zoomzoom » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Lifeisabeach wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:15 am
margaretoc wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:46 pm
During cov-19 crisis, regular distilled water not available. I DO HAVE vapor distilled Smartwater (drinking water) so is that safer to use than tap water?
Margaretoc
As has been said, tap water is perfectly safe. Just empty that tub every morning to avoid mineral buildup and bacteria overgrowth and refill before going to bed. ResMed says to also clean it daily, not just empty it, but some think that's a bit often. Weekly cleaning is probably OK as long as you aren't letting the residual water sit in it all day.

As an alternative to distilled water, get deionized water that is dispensed on demand. Whole Foods and some other grocers have these machines in their stores, you just provide your own container. You NEVER have to worry about a shortage, at least as long as the store is open and they are maintaining the machine. These use reverse osmosis to filter the water, along with a couple other processing techniques to purify it further. And it's cheap... about 40 cents a gallon. And it's actually more purified than distilled water is. More here:
viewtopic/t178740/Cant-find-distilled-H ... l?start=15
viewtopic/t178748/Deionized-water-vs-di ... water.html

A nice benefit to using this stuff is that you don't have to worry about cleaning as often.
I am not a fan of tap water. For some reason, I wake up with a cough whenever I use tap. Whether it's pyschological or not, I prefer not to use it.

I do have a Whole Foods nearby with both deionized and reverse osmosis water machines. Are you saying deionized is better than reverse osmosis water because it incorporates reverse osmosis into its filtration?

Ograx

Post by Ograx » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:38 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Ograx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm sure in a few weeks most people who go to grocery store and going to get sick from going there.
??? why would you say that? people who take precautions are going to reduce their risk of getting the covid-19 virus. but getting in and out of the grocery store, refraining from contact, washing your damned hands and so forth is going to go a long way to help flatten the curve.
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but you ever watch people even recently in grocery stores??

Touching there faces,coughing,sneezing,etc.

I don't think even being careful with how virulent and infectious this stuff is we really have any chance of keeping places clean and virus free. This is just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Ograx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:38 pm
zonker wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Ograx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm sure in a few weeks most people who go to grocery store and going to get sick from going there.
??? why would you say that? people who take precautions are going to reduce their risk of getting the covid-19 virus. but getting in and out of the grocery store, refraining from contact, washing your damned hands and so forth is going to go a long way to help flatten the curve.
I'm not trying to be a pessimist but you ever watch people even recently in grocery stores??

I don't think even being careful with how virulent and infectious this stuff is we really have any chance of keeping places clean and virus free. This is just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.
and i'm trying to maintain that social distance. fortunately we are well supplied food wise. and i'll be ducking into rite aid and such for tp for the short term.

i'm cautiously optimistic.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 pm

zoomzoom wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm
Lifeisabeach wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:15 am
margaretoc wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:46 pm
During cov-19 crisis, regular distilled water not available. I DO HAVE vapor distilled Smartwater (drinking water) so is that safer to use than tap water?
Margaretoc
As has been said, tap water is perfectly safe. Just empty that tub every morning to avoid mineral buildup and bacteria overgrowth and refill before going to bed. ResMed says to also clean it daily, not just empty it, but some think that's a bit often. Weekly cleaning is probably OK as long as you aren't letting the residual water sit in it all day.

As an alternative to distilled water, get deionized water that is dispensed on demand. Whole Foods and some other grocers have these machines in their stores, you just provide your own container. You NEVER have to worry about a shortage, at least as long as the store is open and they are maintaining the machine. These use reverse osmosis to filter the water, along with a couple other processing techniques to purify it further. And it's cheap... about 40 cents a gallon. And it's actually more purified than distilled water is. More here:
viewtopic/t178740/Cant-find-distilled-H ... l?start=15
viewtopic/t178748/Deionized-water-vs-di ... water.html

A nice benefit to using this stuff is that you don't have to worry about cleaning as often.
I am not a fan of tap water. For some reason, I wake up with a cough whenever I use tap. Whether it's pyschological or not, I prefer not to use it.

I do have a Whole Foods nearby with both deionized and reverse osmosis water machines. Are you saying deionized is better than reverse osmosis water because it incorporates reverse osmosis into its filtration?
Deionized water starts with reverse osmosis, but there's an additional processing done to remove mineral salts. More about that here:
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-deionized-water.htm

One last processing step that the units WF have is that they blast the water with UV rays as it's dispensed to sterilize it. Here's their page on the complete process:
https://www.freshpure.com/our-water-qua ... n-process/

There may be other brands of dispensers that operate in a similar manner, I'm just familiar with this one since it is readily available near me at a couple places. It's really good stuff. I started getting sinus infections early on into using CPAP, though it's really my fault for not being more timely in cleaning the water chamber. But with this stuff, I've never had a problem. I'd rather spend the 25¢ for a half gallon of this stuff that will last me 3-4 weeks and not worry about daily management of the water chamber.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 pm

It's not always psychosomatic.
Sometimes a very subtle odor will cause a reaction and irritation, leading to scratchiness,
which can cause coughing, which can then open the tissues to germs present in the air.
There is even a possibility that your tap water contains an allergen that affects only you.
Anything that triggers coughing can do this.
It interferes with your immunity by opening your tissues.
I keep cough drops handy, because coughing can start some unwanted processes.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:02 pm

has anyone noticed the original poster hasn't been back?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:04 pm

I wonder how much she get paid to plug Notsosmartwater.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Ograx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:38 pm

I work in a grocery store. Even now, I see people not washing their hands after using the bathroom. Lots of coughing and sneezing, some of it into elbows, but not all of it. I know that doesn't always mean illness. I have allergies, asthma, LPR, etc, so I do cough and sneeze sometimes. I carry cough drops and allergy meds to reduce it if it comes on. I also make sure I sneeze or cough down into my shirt. I hold up the front of the collar past my nose, so that it is fully contained by my shirt. I am also washing my hands even more than ever. But even with this scare, people seem impatient while we wash our hands. They don't seem to want us to scrub for 20 seconds as directed.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Well as expected there was no toilet paper at all but there were some cheap generic napkins that will work in a pinch.
Local WalMart is limiting the sales of all paper goods though...one package per person.
They also had a package of paper towels (6 per package) and I picked one up because I need paper towels and in a pinch they can be used to wipe the old bottom.
So I got some stuff for my mom anyway and will get her by a few days until I go again and hopefully catch some items recently restocked.
The stores are putting it out as they get it...but people are snatching it up just about as fast as it goes out.

I also picked her up some staples to keep on hand. She is one of those people who might go to WalMart every day of the week and get just a handful of items. I want to keep the niece out of WalMart as much as possible to reduce the risk of her bringing something home to my mom.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

My thing with tap water, is it's all good so long as it's ok to drink. The only down side, is some "Tap water" can be rather stinky when you put it in a humidifier, but that's not going to hurt you really.

I've stayed at a friends place that used city water and it smelled like dirt. Tasted ok, litle mineraly.

You just have to clean your water tank a lot more then usual.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't need staples--my stapler is rarely used, and paper clips are reusable, and multitaskers.
:mrgreen:

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm
My thing with tap water, is it's all good so long as it's ok to drink. The only down side, is some "Tap water" can be rather stinky when you put it in a humidifier, but that's not going to hurt you really.

I've stayed at a friends place that used city water and it smelled like dirt. Tasted ok, litle mineraly.

You just have to clean your water tank a lot more then usual.
Our city water tastes and smells odd to me, so I don't use it. I do have a brita pitcher, so I may use that if I have to. I prefer to use bottled water and do have some extra stock as I prepped before a surgery when I knew I couldn't lift much. I forgot I had a bunch and bought some more, so I still have 4 jugs of distilled for me, and 3 jugs of regular for the cat. (The bathroom sink water must have rusty pipes as it occasionally as some color to it too. I will not serve that unfiltered to the cat).

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Ograx

Post by Ograx » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Not to take crack at anyone on a personal level but if you eat alot of fibre you don't even really need to wipe usually cause there is nothing to wipe. Poopwise.

You still wipe but one square will do you.

Psyllium Husk and All Bran is my choice of fibre. Tastes like shit but all your fibre in one giant blended cup of nastiness.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am

ResMed has clarified that using Distilled Water is a cleaning convenience and not a health concern. Unfortunate that they waited for a pandemic to do so.
distilled.png
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/covid-19/? ... ge1hYYltnI

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am
ResMed has clarified that using Distilled Water is a cleaning convenience and not a health concern. Unfortunate that they waited for a pandemic to do so.
"optimal"

headshake.gif
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac